Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's what my current plan is... 35% on all side windows & 15% on the rear window--I know that's super dark, but I'm thinking 1)It will look good, 2)It will really help with the heat issue this summer, 3)I figure I don't look out that window for backing/parking much anyway since I have the backup camera and tilt-down rear view mirrors.

I've also toyed with making those little triangular windows on the back of the rear seat much darker too...but I think I'll just let them match the rest of the sides.

I've also toyed with making those little triangular windows on the back of the rear seat much darker too...but I think I'll just let them match the rest of the sides.

I would definitely keep all the side windows the same tint level. It is very distracting when I see cars that use different tints on the same side of the vehicle. I'm all for going dark on the back glass, especially if you didn't get the parcel shelf. My tints are being done tomorrow AM and I'm going with 20% on the sides and 5% on the back. This will make it impossible to see what's in the trunk and it won't be visible from the sides. I had 20% tints on my last car so I know they are dark but if I opened the shade on my sunroof they became much more transparent. I figure with the large pano roof of the model S and no sunshade then a 20% tint will appear less dark than it would on a car with a traditional roof.

I paid $595 for the 3M Crystalline in LA area. CM70 on the fronts, and CM50 on the rears and hatch. Admittedly, I didn't shop around all that much... I was more concerned with installation quality than price. This was at Sunshield glass tinting in the valley... very very happy with their work.

Now that I've had the 3M Crystalline 40 for a few weeks, I love the look on the sides, but the back is bothering me. On a black car, looking from the rear it looks blue/reddish. I don't like that look. I'm thinking of having just the back pulled off and replaced with something much darker, like 3M Color Stable 5% or 15%.

Question: from the videos I've seen of how tinting is done, there is a lot of liquid used, I'm worried about tinting the windshield where when they spray the liquid it would drip all over the center console/dash, do they cover that stuff up as to not damage any electronics?

@yobigd20, my car is gray, I definitely notice the red when the back windshield is wet and in the sun, but otherwise it's looked fine to me.

@AMPd, my installer actually said he would not do the windshield for that very reason, that was fine with me because I never planned to have it done anyway. Others have done it and not reported problems, though.

@yobigd20, my car is gray, I definitely notice the red when the back windshield is wet and in the sun, but otherwise it's looked fine to me.

yea, it's bugging me. I'm debating pulling off the 40 on the back window and putting something like HO 5-15% on.

For those that went with something darker, 5-15% of a different brand, do you notice any reddish hue on the back window at all?

my installer used covers for everything. I assumed that was standard practice for every installer...
That's good to hear, glad there are shops out there that care about your vehicle!
From the installation videos I've seen on YouTube none have used covers. Although I have not watched any windshield installs but it would be great even if the covered the doors up as to not get any liquid in there either.

I had 5% put on the back hatch of my black Model S and I really like it. It gives a lot of privacy to the contents of your trunk and it looks terrific. Visibility out through the rear view mirror is not very diminished at all.

I just had mine done today with 5% as well. The only negative I have is that in overcast or twilight conditions it is pretty hard to see traffic behind you with just a glimpse at the rear view mirror. Appearance wise I love it and certainly hope it'll help keep interior temps attenuated, but in other than bright light conditions it's going to be a bit challenging using the inside rear view mirror.

Not the greatest pics, but these are my immediate post tint/detail shots. It's raining here today...of course.

He used Scorpion brand King Pro Series (2 mil hybrid) tint. From my web searches it is either rebranded Llumar or very very similar to the Llumar hybrid film.

35% on the sides, 5% on the back (which looks awesome on this black car)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364566819.071460.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364566828.371059.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364566838.137490.jpg

Another Blue MS with Tint

This is FormulaOne Pinnacle 30% on all door and rear windows.

We already had some heat last week and I can confirm the tint has demonstrated effective at noticeably cutting the heat passing into the cabin.

IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG