Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with experience on Johnson insulatir for ceramic tint? I used it on two of my convertibles 5-8 years ago and had no issues. In had a gray-ish smoke effect. In recent times I have been using formula 1 pinnacle, which is very black.

Just had photo sync installed 2 days ago.
It was the 35% version but metered out a little below 30....slightly illegal here.
As such, it is not warrantied by the Manufacturer. The installer does warranty his work.....it all seemed a bit odd.
The good news is that it is that perfect darkness that does not impede visibility at all at night but looks terrific by day. Although early, I can say that is easily the best tint I have ever seen or had.

Help me decide on tint level

Hi,

I am trying to decide what tint level to use for my mom's car. Here is a little background info.

1) We bought a used chrysler 300 10 yrs ago and it had great tint on it but then when we took it to inspection in massachusetts it didnt pass and we had to change it.

2) We now live in fresno, CA. It is hot as #$%@ here and parking for 10 hours outside at work, you fry when you get in the car.

3) In cali, actually, super officially, tinting the front windows at all is illegal, but Law enforcement has a passive enforcement of this and will only really care if it looks dark to them(and want a reason to pull you over) and they can be quoted as caring if its above a certain level(hearsay level of 70%) (plz dont respond to this...lots of this on the thread, my post isnt about arguing if this is true or not)

4) With that being said, mom and i are super scared to get tint on the model s because we were once bitten, twice shy years ago.

5) With that being said, thinking about tints, I have become very aware that OMG EVERYONE HAS TINT HERE in fresno. I see lexus' with 35% all around, I see bmw's with 20% ALL AROUND. Yes, many cars just have the back windows tinted because they are following the law, but still a ton of people have tints. I even see Pickup Trucks with what looks like 50% on the windshield!!(but that is rare). Anyway, Fresno is super hot in the summer so I think cops dont enforce it unless they cant see you at all or they want a reason to. I've heard in so-cal they are more strict for what its worth...

6) With that being said, I definitely want to go with photosync, and I was struggling to decide on 45/55 on the sides. IMHO, having different shades on front/back doesnt look good, so after all the pics and everything i've seen, i'd recommend anyone just to stick with the same side. Anyway, I emailed the photosync ppl and they actually recommended 35's on the sides because its a 'medium' shade. After looking at all the pics, I agree and will do that.

7)But what about the windshield...you guys have convinced me to do photosync 75% on the windshield, but I am curious as to people's thoughts about 65%...the interior is grey so I dont think it will look too dark, but I dont want to go crazy? The windshield is such a huge glass and such a source of heat i'd rather have more heat reduction. Anyone do 65% on the windshield, have pics, or have suggestions please?

Thanks in advance

After reading more than 800 posts, my head is swimming with all things window tinting, yet nobody has touched upon a question that has plagued me from the beginning: how do we handle a sticker on the inside of the windshield? For example, Texas requires a registration sticker that needs to be scraped off and replaced every year. The thought of scraping at my windshield tinting is not a pleasant one.

After reading more than 800 posts, my head is swimming with all things window tinting, yet nobody has touched upon a question that has plagued me from the beginning: how do we handle a sticker on the inside of the windshield? For example, Texas requires a registration sticker that needs to be scraped off and replaced every year. The thought of scraping at my windshield tinting is not a pleasant one.

Technically no tint is legal in the windshield so it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure if you tint the window anyway what you do.

Technically no tint is legal in the windshield so it shouldn't be a problem. Not sure if you tint the window anyway what you do.

Being in Texas I'm definitely going to tint the windshield. Just not sure how I'll handle the registration sticker. We also have an inspection sticker on the inside windshield but that's going away next month (the sticker, not the inspection).

rankineus, I think 35% is the one to go. I have it on both of my +s and we love it. Here's our white +. We've had it on the white for close to 50k miles now and love it. When I get into my other cars without phtoosynch or get into my buddies' cars w/o tint, it is such a drastic difference that is borderline unbearable during the summer.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 1,717
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 1,568
Just have the installers show you the tints on the car and choose. I was worried about going too dark yet wanting to get all the IR rejection I could. Did 35 on the rear passengers and lift gate and looks not too dark at all. You can see in the back, but not at a casual glance, and it's nicely shaded feeling inside rather than being cave like. Did 55 I think on pano since it was already dark, yet a major source of heat. It didn't end up too dark, but glad I didn't go any darker. Think I did 65 for the front side windows to have less chance of getting stopped and 75 for the front to get what heat rejection I could with minimal visibility impact.

I wouldn't change any of my choices, though were I going for the blacked out look I'd have been surprised at how light even the 35 tint actually looks. Instead I was trying for maximum heat rejection while discreetly increasing the level of privacy for rear seats and trunk, while trying to avoid law enforcement issues. To me, the increasing tint levels front to black isn't in-your-face obvious and looks fine, especially coming from a FX that from the factory has around 20% (blocking 80) tint on the rear windows and hatch. The S looks. Much more uniform.

One thing I'd point out to anyone thinking of tint on the front windshield is that, at least in my install, it is noticeable to the driver. Not the tint level - 75 is basically clear from your eye's point of view, but instead its the texture that I notice. There is a slight Orange peel type/flat paint type fine granulation you can notice. It's not something that affects your vision at a level that matters to situational awareness and safety. But if you are eagle eyed and used to reading the signs a mile away, noticing every blade of grass swaying along the roadside, etc., you're going to notice it. On the other hand, I haven't particularly noticed any color banding, etc., when also using polarized sunglasses. Some people have noticed that on other photosync (and other brand) installs.

One thing I'd point out to anyone thinking of tint on the front windshield is that, at least in my install, it is noticeable to the driver. Not the tint level - 75 is basically clear from your eye's point of view, but instead its the texture that I notice. There is a slight Orange peel type/flat paint type fine granulation you can notice. It's not something that affects your vision at a level that matters to situational awareness and safety. But if you are eagle eyed and used to reading the signs a mile away, noticing every blade of grass swaying along the roadside, etc., you're going to notice it. On the other hand, I haven't particularly noticed any color banding, etc., when also using polarized sunglasses. Some people have noticed that on other photosync (and other brand) installs.

tinting the front windshield in California (and Im sure other states) is illegal.

Being in Texas I'm definitely going to tint the windshield. Just not sure how I'll handle the registration sticker. We also have an inspection sticker on the inside windshield but that's going away next month (the sticker, not the inspection).

About time that inspection sticker went away. Having two large stickers right in front of the driver was annoying.

tinting the front windshield in California (and Im sure other states) is illegal.

Knowing this I have 3M Crystalline 70 on the windshield & 40 on the sides & hatch, the windshield tint isn't noticeable unless its parked next to another tesla thats not tinted & you are looking for a difference in appearance, windshield tint would be least of my worries if I got pulled over.

Another window tint option that we started testing over a year ago is CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic. It is made by Prestige (same maker of Spectra PhotoSync). This film is a pure ceramic product and from our inspection / tests, this product performs better than other products on the market. It does cost less than PhotoSync, so it is a pretty good option from a performance / value perspective.

Here's our demo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another window tint option that we started testing over a year ago is CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic. It is made by Prestige (same maker of Spectra PhotoSync). This film is a pure ceramic product and from our inspection / tests, this product performs better than other products on the market. Here's our demo:

Is it considered better than Photosync?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it considered better than Photosync?

It is not from a TSER (total solar energy rejection) and IRR (infrared rejection), but it costs approximately 20% less than PhotoSync. So this would be a viable option for those wanting high performance, but just don't want to spring for the high $$ for PhotoSync. On the performance level, it is approximately 7%-10% difference to PhotoSync, but still outperforms just about everything out there.

Here's a Fiat 500 we just completed to give you an idea of what it looks like

Shades available for CeraLuxe is: 72%, 45%, 33%, and 20% (a good option for those wanting a darker look - the 20% is a nice shade)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 1,361
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 1,345
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 1,317
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 1,336
We were turned onto Ceralux last year for our '14 Honda Accord Plug-In. Thought we were interested in getting Photosync, we just couldn't justify it for a $45k car. So we opted for the next best thing, which was introduced to us by Premiere Mobile. First of all, Premiere Mobile is a first class company we discovered perusing this site for our black P85+ last year. Their reputation is up there as I am quite an obsessive fanatic of only making one purchase and making the correct one at that. Could not find any negative reviews of Premiere and it was a big plus that they were local to us with full access to Photosync. The entire team there are service professionals at the top and we could not find any flaws in their tinting. The PhotoSync helped a big deal when it was over 100 degrees. Onto our Accord Plug-In, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had a "cheaper" alternative to PhotoSync and given that this is made by Prestige, we did not hesitate to go with it. Our Accord pictured with the Ceralux ceramic tint with 70 on the windscreen, 55 on the front glasses, and 33 on everything sitting behind us.

Attachments

• 20140910_115118.jpg
    20140910_115118.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 20140910_144002.jpg
    20140910_144002.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • 20140910_115217.jpg
    20140910_115217.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 20140910_115135.jpg
    20140910_115135.jpg