Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the enthusiasm in here. I bet we can figure out a workable retrofit solution before Tesla can

So looking more at the new wifi+bt SIP: Looks like its main connection back to the car, like before, is simply a USB connection. Everything in the mirror housing is still just connected via USB, hanging off a hub that's in the mirror housing. That has a couple interesting implications....

1. It might not require any new wiring outside of the mirror housing to retrofit
  2. If the ARM kernel has drivers for the new QCA (presumably ath9k) chipset, then you might be able to retrofit the better wifi+bt without a MCU retrofit
  3. Vice versa, if the Intel kernel has drivers for the old Parrot wifi+bt stack, you might be able to swap the MCU without swapping the mirror housing too...

Reactions: J1mbo
I got this email from my SA just now; Tesla doesn't seem to be providing info on the MCU to SAs, no reply from my DS yet though (curly parentheticals mine):

As far as the MCU goes, I am sorry to report that I do not have any information on a recent MCU change. So I can’t say with any confidence that {an inventory car} has a newer one, or that yours {a custom order} will either, to be honest. I’ll keep working on this, but for now, I’d recommend sticking with your custom order if having the very latest hardware is important to you.

They only replace the LCD not the entire MCU unit. I had mine replaced a few weeks ago for the same reason.

When I got my yellow ringed LCD replaced on Feb 20 in Mar 2017 built X, it appears, they replaced it with the entire MCU, not just LCD:
upload_2018-3-14_15-0-56.png

I was hoping that it would a new MCU and I was actually told that it's "new, 2018, model" but I dont think it was and whatsmyua.info shows:
upload_2018-3-14_15-4-39.png

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon and BigD0g
When I got my yellow ringed LCD replaced on Feb 20 in Mar 2017 built X, it appears, they replaced it with the entire MCU, not just LCD:
View attachment 286407

I was hoping that it would a new MCU and I was actually told that it's "new, 2018, model" but I dont think it was and whatsmyua.info shows:
View attachment 286408
Can you show the entire image that includes the CPU section?

View attachment 286407

View attachment 286408

Sorry, it doesn't look like it is to me. The new Intel versions have "x86_64" or "amd64" in the User-Agent string.