Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unable to create 'webgl' context.
Unable to create 'experimental-webgl' context.
Error: {"message":"'null' is not an object"} - TypeError: 'null' is not an object

Interesting - so WebGL is completely unavailable in the Tesla web-browser. Tesla's browser is based on Qt's WebKit wrapper which does support WebGL. I'm not entirely surprised: they could have disabled it for security reasons (fears of running untrusted shader code), performance, or just to prevent overheating of the hardware by a misbehaving web-application. WebGL is not very popular online as it is, so users aren't losing-out on much.IE didn't add WebGL support until IE11, for example.

Unable to create 'webgl' context.
Unable to create 'experimental-webgl' context.
Error: {"message":"'null' is not an object"} - TypeError: 'null' is not an object

Interesting - so WebGL is completely unavailable in the Tesla web-browser. Tesla's browser is based on Qt's WebKit wrapper which does support WebGL. I'm not entirely surprised: they could have disabled it for security reasons (fears of running untrusted shader code), performance, or just to prevent overheating of the hardware by a misbehaving web-application. WebGL is not very popular online as it is, so users aren't losing-out on much.IE didn't add WebGL support until IE11, for example.
Yeah that is bummer.

Is the screen resolution/dpi/screen exactly the same in the new MCU? The Model 3 UI seems "crisper" and have more vivid colors. No? Or does that have to do with the more glossy surface of the M3 screen?

The Model 3 has a higher DPI to my eyes. It also appears to have a higher contrast display with better blacks. I’m curious if the screen itself was updated or just the GPU.

The Model 3 has a higher DPI to my eyes. It also appears to have a higher contrast display with better blacks. I’m curious if the screen itself was updated or just the GPU.
Is it probable that the laptop-ish 15" screen has made it easier to source better panels than the rectangular 17" screen? Though I would have thought that the extreme temp requirements would still be a limiting factor.

WebKit-534 had WebGL? That was tagged from safari 5.1 in late 2011!

Picked my car up from service today. Asked them about the MCU upgrade, they had no idea there even was a MCU update yet, I broke the news to them. Showed them the video, they were impressed. Said they would get back to me if they heard anything about a retrofit for older cars. I'm not expecting much, but it would be awesome if it was offered.

/edit. My service work involved new side mirrors, any way to tell if I got upgraded versions? Probably just the old ones though right?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DaiPlusPlus
I wonder if Tesla will cover this under "Hardware upgrades" under the original Annual Service Plan?

Tesla Service includes
Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
24 hour roadside assistance
System monitoring
Remote diagnostics
Hardware upgrades

:rolleyes::(

That was only on the closed-source Mac version of Safari for Intel, right? I don't think it was until iOS 8 that WebGL for ARM targets was available...

(It's been a long time since those days. My paths crossed with WebKit on the KDE side back then)
Probably, The version that Tesla seems to be using isn't actually 5.1 (or maybe it was pre-5.1) so it is probably that WebGL wasn't included. I am still looking for an alternative to display CPU/GPU info.

Any chance if you could ask your source if AP 2.5 cars are eligible for a retrofit?

Since retrofitting is like saying "Voldemort" in Tesla world, they cannot say whether its "eligible" or not, so we will have to see based on owners asking the Service Center and seeing what the response is.

Just the GPU/MCU not the screen itself, Model 3 seems to still have higher specs as you mentioned.

So as it stands it the new MCU and the 5G antennas are whats rolling out for new cars as of now in terms of hardware of note. Software update should be coming soon just before or after the end of quarter depending on what their guidance is looking like close to quarter close.