Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOT EVEN CLOSE

That is an ADD-ON, not an upgrade of an internal component of the TV - like a screen, or image processor, or antenna. C'mon, people, be serious.

My analogy was regarding the role of the upgrade: it's still "the computer for the apps" for the TV, which is what the MCU is for the Tesla - I didn't mean to analogize the fact the MCU is indeed an internal, difficult-to-replace component while the Samsung Evolution Kit is an external component - that's how they're different, but my point is that the MCU in a Tesla *should* be like the Evolution Kit in a Samsung TV: user-replacable.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
No-one is criticising continuous-improvement itself - just the lack of transparency and predictability. As we're seeing: people are saying that had they known a significant upgrade was in the pipeline (which will undoubtedly affect the future resale value of their cars, let alone the quality of the user-experience) they would have postponed their orders.

The advantage of "model-year" updates is that they generally happen once per year - while this does result in a slowdown of sales near the end of the predictable product cycle it gives automakers and sellers an opportunity to sell at a discount, and customers are fine with that: they're saving money knowing that they're not going to be getting the very latest. But with how Tesla's doing it right now it's a crapshoot that can lead to pretty bad buyer's remorse.

So we want continuous improvement - by all means, but I think we should get some kind of advance-notice if a significant upgrade is forthcoming (say, 3-6 months forewarning). We're already committed to buying the car so Tesla won't be losing money - and plenty of people might not care for that particular upgrade (e.g. I don't care for the vanity-mirror upgrade or new interior options, but I do care about the computer).

I think there needs to be strong consumer-protection laws. Tesla's cars command high-prices partly because of their high resale value - but that's predicated on the assumption the cars will be usable in the long-term future. The only way to guarantee that is to require manufacturers to make their parts available to third-parties on a reasonable and non-discriminatory basis - just like patent law. Corporate greed should not harm society (for example, increased junking of otherwise perfectly fine cars that just need one or two parts that the owner couldn't source).

I don't understand. Tesla has been selling cars for 6 years. They are constantly upgrading. When you buy the car be happy with what you are buying. If you are not happy...wait until the features you want are available.

If you use that reasoning - Tesla should be able to change the price before they deliver based on supply chain, currency exchanges, fuel prices, cost of toilet paper...etc...

VIN: 245,017
Ordered: 1/27
In Production: 2/16 - 2/23

Haven't taken delivery yet due to Tesla fixing a scratch. I have the lighted vanity. Anyone want to guess the over/under that I have the new MCU? I'm guessing I missed it by a hair.

I hope you got it, but I think you missed it. Sounds like the production start cutoff is somewhere between 2/22 and 2/28.

I don't understand. Tesla has been selling cars for 6 years. They are constantly upgrading. When you buy the car be happy with what you are buying. If you are not happy...wait until the features you want are available.

I agree.

If you use that reasoning - Tesla should be able to change the price before they deliver based on supply chain, currency exchanges, fuel prices, cost of toilet paper...etc...

They're free to change the price at any time right now too - and pricing is partly based on their own supply-chain.

I wasn't advocating or suggesting that Telsa should be able to change the price after you've signed the order agreement. What I am advocating for is some kind of advance-notice to prevent buyer's remorse and to keep customers happy.

Right now, the process is this:

1. Customer submits Custom Order online, pays the $2500 custom order deposit.
2. Customer waits 1-3 months for the order to be produced.
3. During this waiting period, news breaks of a significant update.4
4. While the customer is waiting, if their car had already entered production such that they miss the new update then they technically have the option of canceling their custom order and forfeiting their $2500 deposit and then make a new custom order (for another $2500 - so that's $5000 spent) with another 1-3 month wait with the update. I accept it's likely that a sympathetic SA/DS might be able to pull some strings to perhaps waive at least one of those $2500 payments, and it's true that we all contractually agreed to forfeit the $2500 if we ever change our minds - I accept that.

Instead, I'm proposing that after step 1: after the customer has paid the deposit, if there is a significant update planned then Tesla might advise the customer of something in-the-works and asking if they're okay with waiting an extra couple of weeks to ensure that their order gets the update - saving the customer the hassle (and another 1-3 month wait), but boosting their happiness with the company - while costing the company the extra custom-order revenue they would have otherwise received.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jaded having taken delivery of my car just over 2 months ago, but on the other hand I'm glad they finally came through.

Although I am only a recent owner I have followed the MS closely since release, and on the whole the MCU has always felt like it could have been paid a lot more attention over the years. Tesla's "continuous improvement" would be a lot better if very important and rapidly improving things like the MCU and its software actually improved instead of going stagnant for 7 years. Yes there have been minor improvements and a couple of re-skins but that's really about it. Given the unlimited potential of a 17" touchscreen computer in the dash remarkably little has been added or improved since the MS was new. Had Tesla been incrementally improving the MCU over time (both hardware performance and software performance and features) like they have the batteries, drive units, autopilot, and interior I do not think they would be facing this sort of negative response.

Tesla is going to have some very hard choices now: given that they now have a more powerful platform they do not have any real large incentive to pour lots of work into the old system which is unfortunate since I think the Tegra3 hardware should be capabile of delivering a much snappier UI and better experience than it currently does. The bigger problem though is that lack of incremental improvements mean that there is no more long tail where new features can be introduced and still easily work on older hardware if only a little slower; instead it is more likely that there will be a hard cutoff. The first major "software only" feature to drop support for the older hardware is gonna be a shitshow for Tesla unless they have some sort of upgrade path or unless they delay any such improvement for a long time. Given how behind they are in the vehicle infotainment area now I would think that offering an affordable upgrade path to give an option for all of their cars to get on board the new hotness would be a pretty nifty move. I hope it happens!

It's not black and white. If I'm willing to pay $100K for a car, it doesn't mean I wouldn't be happier paying $90K for it. The same goes for features. I'd buy a RWD Tesla; I'd prefer AWD. I'll take a slow as hell MCU, but I'd prefer a faster one. If the human race didn't seek to optimize, we'd still be living in shacks without running water. Or sleeping outdoors in bearskins.

So, you can allow yourself to feel sad that you would have been better off had you waited a few days/weeks. And you can allow yourself to wish that Tesla's upgrades were more predictable, as they are for other manufacturers. The current situation is a lottery that confers prizes to random buyers.

Last edited:
VIN: 245,017
Ordered: 1/27
In Production: 2/16 - 2/23

Haven't taken delivery yet due to Tesla fixing a scratch. I have the lighted vanity. Anyone want to guess the over/under that I have the new MCU? I'm guessing I missed it by a hair.
The latest wiring diagram is for March 5, 2018, onward.

This might not be a hard entry date for MCU2, however. According to @DÆrik in his lates video (+1 on that btw) he said that his buddy's MCU2 car was produced in February.

The latest wiring diagram is for March 5, 2018, onward.

This might not be a hard entry date for MCU2, however. According to @DÆrik in his lates video (+1 on that btw) he said that his buddy's MCU2 car was produced in February.

Yelp. His said it went into production ~23rd of February.

I did just call service and they said they haven't heard if I can upgrade mine yet. I will check in with them next week. Hopefully a retrofit will be available.

Thanks Erik

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865