Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You get that with free AutoPilot. You do miss out on completely automatic lane changes or auto lane changes when you signal, without upgrading from AutoPilot, but compared to throwing $12-$15k down the drain on FSD? Preferable, I'd say. I really do wish regulators would step in and pressure Tesla to either deliver FSD by a certain date, or refund everyone who bought it, upon request.
And you don't miss out on any of it with Enhanced AutoPilot which adds auto lane change, navigate on AP, summon, advanced summon, etc. No FSD needed for any of that.

Reactions: WilliamG
I always thought the naming was a tad aggressive and slightly misleading but at the same time, it's written down and made clear the driver is responsible. We have lots of products in the US that people use incorrectly that cause far more destruction than Autopilot.
Can you elaborate on the perceived aggressiveness with the name Autopilot? What does it invoke in your mind? Have you compared it (your thought) to what it means?

Reactions: dsm363
Autopilot is perhaps the name you would expect from the current state of FSD. What current Autopilot does is some kind of Enhanced Lane Keep and Beep.
Autopilot we can all guess has been a feature of commercial airliners; its use has been around that of flight path and altitude at steady state...under guidance of pilots, hence their extremely handsome pay and an overall great career. If it's meant to be full self flying, we wouldn't need pilots...or their pay would be that of bus drivers.

Can you elaborate on the perceived aggressiveness with the name Autopilot? What does it invoke in your mind? Have you compared it (your thought) to what it means?
I know what Autopilot is but the general public (and the regulators) seem to think it implies the car will drive itself completely. Tesla never claimed it did but that's the perception. Even in an airplane the pilot is still responsible for the plane while on autopilot.

Basic Autopilot consists of two features. Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) and Autosteer.
I could be wrong but what I think @Tiger is saying is the name Autopilot is what the general public sometimes thinks is 'the car can drive itself'. So Autopilot would have been a great term for FSD and the regulators would have been fine with that (when it actually became FSD capable).

Tesla Drive Assistant might have been better.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but what I think @Tiger is saying is the name Autopilot is what the general public sometimes thinks is 'the car can drive itself'. So Autopilot would have been a great term for FSD and the regulators would have been fine with that (when it actually because FSD capable).

I understand your point.

What annoys me a bit is that even alongside a to-be-paid-for and expensive feature called Full Self Driving, people still choose to stay confused with what Autopilot means.

Regarding “Handsfree” driving, from the name “Handsfree” to repeated ads on driving while clapping to Queen’s We Will Rock You, how has that gone unnoticed?

• Funny
Reactions: Tiger
I could be wrong but what I think @Tiger is saying is the name Autopilot is what the general public sometimes thinks is 'the car can drive itself'. So Autopilot would have been a great term for FSD and the regulators would have been fine with that (when it actually because FSD capable).

With so much controversy surrounding Tesla, I agree with you. That or any other benign name would have been better.

Reactions: dsm363
I understand your point.

What annoys me a bit is that even alongside a to-be-paid-for and expensive feature called Full Self Driving, people still choose to stay confused with what Autopilot means.

Regarding “Handsfree” driving, from the name “Handsfree” to repeated ads on driving while clapping to Queen’s We Will Rock You, how has that gone unnoticed?
Yeah. This is far worse. Encourages people to take their hands off (obviously) while Tesla technically requires you to keep them on. Don't think I had seen the ad before.

But the name Autopilot is worse? Makes no sense.

I understand your point.

It is unimportant what it was planned to mean; instead what matters is what people get for it, and whether they get what they expect (wysiwyg).

101 Usability

IMG_5155.png
It’s on Reddit