Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really makes you wonder how they'll address the thousands of cars on older hardware with no upgrade path. I guess they'll just say they reached some level of autonomy and call it a day?
That seems to be the strategy.

Where I think they could run into a little trouble is the ~2016-2020 cars where they were promising much greater capabilities. My gut is FSD will never leave until those cars are nearly completely off the road.

Reactions: dsm363
Front camera is a huge addition, when/if it ever comes. It will be a significant improvement for FSD/parking usage.
Sorry, by "minor" I just meant small in change to the physical vehicle (most commonly associated with "refresh").
Adding lighting and the camera wouldn't be considered a "refresh" in the usual sense of the term on their own.
But yes, agree fully that the camera will be a major user/driver improvement.
And should certainly get even better over time with future software updates.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Vision only will never be as good as the ultra sonic for clearances of 6 inches or less. It's theoretically possible but without high resolution triangulation of 2 or more cameras being able to see every spot at 2 or more angles. Removing US and radar thrown Tesla back into the dark ages with respect to basic parking and TACC. Can't even see through fog any more.

Vision only will never be as good as the ultra sonic for clearances of 6 inches or less. It's theoretically possible but without high resolution triangulation of 2 or more cameras being able to see every spot at 2 or more angles. Removing US and radar thrown Tesla back into the dark ages with respect to basic parking and TACC. Can't even see through fog any more.
The Model S started with no parking sensors so back to the beginning I guess. Such an odd decision especially on the S and X given the cost of the car.

Last edited:

My understanding is that ultrasonic is very accurate, but it is basically direct line to the closest object. Like if a string was stretched between the sensor and the item closest to it. So that also has limitations. The wall 12” in front and the curb 5.5” in front and 5.5” below look the same to it.

Of course my test drive with vision was all over the place pulling out of my drive that has posts in both sides.

I'll ask. I'd be happy with near flawless performance on highways so hopefully it at least does that.
You get that with free AutoPilot. You do miss out on completely automatic lane changes or auto lane changes when you signal, without upgrading from AutoPilot, but compared to throwing $12-$15k down the drain on FSD? Preferable, I'd say. I really do wish regulators would step in and pressure Tesla to either deliver FSD by a certain date, or refund everyone who bought it, upon request.

It’s so nice now having the USS back in the Taycan. So much more accurate than the HW4 vision

You get that with free AutoPilot. You do miss out on completely automatic lane changes or auto lane changes when you signal, without upgrading from AutoPilot, but compared to throwing $12-$15k down the drain on FSD? Preferable, I'd say. I really do wish regulators would step in and pressure Tesla to either deliver FSD by a certain date, or refund everyone who bought it, upon request.
Tesla is claiming free speech defense in CA lawsuit about misleading advertising of FSD

I don’t think FSD is ever going to happen, question is when can people start demanding a refund.

Tesla is claiming free speech defense in CA lawsuit about misleading advertising of FSD

I don’t think FSD is ever going to happen, question is when can people start demanding a refund.
I always thought the naming was a tad aggressive and slightly misleading but at the same time, it's written down and made clear the driver is responsible. We have lots of products in the US that people use incorrectly that cause far more destruction than Autopilot.