Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Owners Have Priority Model 3 Orders Over Non-Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning of 31st reservation. One time zone east of CA. I think I will be ok. Prob early to mid '18, but ok.

AlanSqB, what options are you looking at for your Model 3? I will be playing the game of figuring out what options get me the Model 3 by 2018, not just for any chance at part of the Federal credit, but for CO's hefty credit. I think CO remains $6k through 2018, right?

I'm hoping to keep my price lower, but if adding options ultimately gives me a better car for the same price (w/ tax incentives), I'll consider it.

If Tesla's decision is about more than just saying thanks to their customers, and is actually intended to convince people on the fence to buy the Model S or X in order to get the ≡ sooner (which the wording of their e-mail suggests), aren't they setting themselves up for a complete crash of Model S resale value when everyone who got one to get the ≡ sooner starts trading them in?

If Tesla's decision is about more than just saying thanks to their customers, and is actually intended to convince people on the fence to buy the Model S or X in order to get the ≡ sooner (which the wording of their e-mail suggests), aren't they setting themselves up for a complete crash of Model S resale value when everyone who got one to get the ≡ sooner starts trading them in?

Still puts more Teslas on the road. They'll have production constraints for years to come. Anyone interested in buying a used Model S probably didn't know to reserve a Model 3 until delivery dates get pushed into 2020. Tesla would happily see their used premium cars in the handsused new owners if the old owners are buying new cars.

If anyone really buys a $100000 car to get another $35000 car sooner, that's even more upfront revenue Tesla has to work with. If they can use that perk as a way to make another sale, one they can cash in on today rather than 18+ months from now. They're still trying to get the machine off the ground after all. Tesla is still very much in its infancy.

If anyone really buys a $100000 car to get another $35000 car sooner, that's even more upfront revenue Tesla has to work with. If they can use that perk as a way to make another sale, one they can cash in on today rather than 18+ months from now. They're still trying to get the machine off the ground after all. Tesla is still very much in its infancy.
I find it odd that when you compare the Model S and the Model 3 pricing, you add almost 50% in options to the S to compare to a base (AKA: stripped) Model 3. The Model S starts at $70,000.

This reminds me of the media comparing the price of the Bolt with incentives ($30K) to the Model 3 without incentives ($35K), or everyone who talks about how elitist Tesla is for selling $100,000+ cars that most people can't afford. There are a lot of people stretching for that $70K car who could never have considered a car that starts at $100K. Sorry, that's not the Model S or X.

I'm not being accusatory, I'm just saying that you're falling into that same trap and you should be careful not to.

If A putting in order before B, A get what he ordered before B. It should be this simple. This is the rule or common sense. Everything else is speculation and may subject to class action law suit if some smart lawyer want to make a few bucks.
Elon came right out and said that the more highly optioned models will be sold first. Not a legal dilemma, just economics. Buyers know before they hand over their $1K reservation monies what they are in for. If Tesla took the reservation money then said the more highly optioned go first, and prior owners have priority, then perhaps some reservation holders have grounds for complaint. Not legal action, but complaint. The reservations are fully refundable, and if you didn't like it you could get your money back and shop somewhere else. But Tesla is being very up front about the process, so there's no grounds for any type of lawsuit. Unhappy potential buyers, perhaps, but no lawsuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and Jaff
If A putting in order before B, A get what he ordered before B. It should be this simple. This is the rule or common sense. Everything else is speculation and may subject to class action law suit if some smart lawyer want to make a few bucks.

Look, I'm not thrilled about the policy either. At the very least, as Elon is rolling out the "EV for the masses", giving those affluent enough to purchase multiple Teslas a chance for another tax credit is bad optics.

But suing? 1. He dropped a guy's Model X reservation over a critical blog post, so suing to have the right to get your Model 3 early will have the exact opposite effect you want it to.
2. It's not medicine. You won't die with out a link to the Design Studio. There are tons of lawyers out there with no ethics that will be HAPPY to bill your hours for a case that won't be won....and likely won't be decided until you would have had your Model 3 anyway.

There's no way such a rumor can have any foundation in truth at this point. Come April first, perhaps. But not yet.

While true (there's no way such a rumor....) many here (short term investment thread) believed it (Model ≡'s first year would be sold out VERY quickly) would be true. With the recent added information of employees reserving first, followed my current Tesla vehicle owners, the whole time zone playing field leveling, and lots of reports of people camping stores/galleries, it's really not much of a stretch of the imagination to come to the conclusion that the first year of production probably will be sold out before April 1st.

I wish Tesla would clarify this existing owner benefit...

Are Roadster owners prioritized over S and S over X? After all, Roadster owners took the most risk with their reservations.

Will people who upgraded from an early car to a higher VIN be penalized, since they no longer have the low VIN (it has been said lower VIN's get priority)? Surely someone who put down $40k on a sig for 2 years deserves the bump in priority (if any S owner does).

Does the priority bump only extend to original owners? Or do subsequent owners get the benefit? If so, does it need to be a CPO purchased from Tesla, or is a car purchased via private sale "good enough"?

Do you need to own the Roadster/S/X at the time of making your 3 reservation? Or at some later date when current owners are invited to configure? Can you buy an S (new or used) later this year and get your reservation upgraded?

This program, like many Tesla communications, is clear as mud.

Right. Because rocket motors are critical to a successful EV, almost as much as batteries are to space travel. :rolleyes:
P90D fuse was made out of inconel which is an alloy used in rocket engineering. Tesla is able to do everything better than other car manufacturers because it has Spacex as it's sibling. So, autopilot is better, design is aerodynamic, aluminum stamping is better, seats are extraordinary (like spacecraft ones). People misunderstand the capabilities of Tesla due to this very reason. They think a car company can't do stuff like this. But they forget that it's not only a car company, it's CEO runs a rocket company too. IMHO.

Reactions: MrBoylan and Jaff
I think it is fine that Space X employees can participate as the made significant technology contributiions to Tesla.

P90D fuse was made out of inconel which is an alloy used in rocket engineering. Tesla is able to do everything better than other car manufacturers because it has Spacex as it's sibling. So, autopilot is better, design is aerodynamic, aluminum stamping is better, seats are extraordinary (like spacecraft ones). People misunderstand the capabilities of Tesla due to this very reason. They think a car company can't do stuff like this. But they forget that it's not only a car company, it's CEO runs a rocket company too. IMHO.

Yes. Spacex has contributed to Tesla. They have shared technologies. It makes sense.

The list of people having priority on the Tesla Model 3 reservation queue keeps growing. After Tesla employees, Electrek learned from sources that SpaceX employees can now also reserve Tesla’s upcoming third generation vehicle set to be unveiled on March 31st. Like for most Tesla employees, it appears most SpaceX employees reserving the vehicle are doing so sight unseen.

Beside showing more synergy between Elon Musk’s two companies, it also adds up to now 3 groups of people having priority on the Tesla Model 3 reservation queue: Tesla employees, Tesla owners and SpaceX employees.

As we often mentioned in the past few months, the reservation process for the Model 3 is particularly important. Beyond proving demand for a long-range affordable electric vehicle, the process will also create an interesting situation in the US where the $7500 Federal tax credit for electric vehicles is capped at 200,000 units sold per manufacturer.

Tesla is expected to hit its limit in 2018, which means that an early reservation can help ensure the availability of the full tax credit for the vehicle and make it even less expensive.

Here’s how we expect Tesla to reach 200,000 units cap:
estimated-and-projected-cumulative-tesla-sales-in-the-u-s-1.png

Tesla has around 15,000 employees worldwide, while SpaceX employs around 5,000 people, most of them in California. Additionally, Tesla has a base of over 100,000 owners with around half in the US.

Of course the availability of the tax credit will depend on Tesla bringing the Model 3 to market on time (late 2017) and on a successful production ramp up.

It’s still likely that most eligible people placing a reservation will have access to at least some form of tax credit. Under the current law, once the 200,000 cap is reached, customers will have access to the full credit for a full quarter with no apparent limit on units. They will then receive $3,750 for the following 6 month. It will again go down to $1,875 for the following 6 months. That means that for most of 2019 Tesla buyers won’t likely have much federal incentive to buy cars. By 2020, the Federal subsidy will have likely run out.

SpaceX employees being given early access to Model 3 reservations is only the latest example of collaboration between the two companies headed by Elon Musk. The CEO recently hired Apple’s alloy expert to lead materials engineering at both Tesla and SpaceX, and the automaker made a SPaceX factory tour one of the prizes for its Model S owner referral program.

The two companies also shared technology in the past.

The early access is certainly a nice perk for Tesla and SpaceX employees who have the most stressful jobs (and most meaningful) in the tech industry, according to a recent survey.

If you are not on Tesla’s or SpaceX’s payroll, you can still reserve the vehicle and the automaker released all the details on how to reserve your place in line starting on the day of the unveiling March 31st.

estimated-and-projected-cumulative-tesla-sales-in-the-u-s-1.png

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Reactions: AnOutsider