Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Refresh UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S Plaid in Europe is currently $35,000 more expensive than it is in the US. Just ridiculous really. If those prices translate to the UK you’re looking at £121,000.
Is that taking into account that prices in the US exclude all taxes which can add considerably to the price? It's a common mistake to compare US prices excluding tax to local prices including taxes, and only adjust for exchange rates

I’m not exactly sure on what the taxes are in Europe or the UK, all I can say is that the recent 15% price drop in the US for Model S Plaid has definitely not been passed on to other countries outside the US (with the exception of Canada) where the car is currently available, probably because it has only recently been released in those markets.

Last edited:
The Model S Plaid in Europe is currently $35,000 more expensive than it is in the US. Just ridiculous really. If those prices translate to the UK you’re looking at £121,000.
Is that not roughly the price they said it would be when they announced it initially?

Of course I remember when the P100D was something like £138k and then they dropped it to like high £80k's off the top of my head. I suspect there's still plenty of margin if they want to drop it.

I think the biggedt issue is the gap in pricing from a Model 3 / Y to S / X is massive. Yes S and X are better but that much? I'd like to see them at least closer to £100k mark.

Reactions: Duncan Slater
US prices are pre tax and "destination fee", Europe post tax and fee.

To get from the US to the EU/UK price you have to add 10% import duty then 20% VAT on the total including the duty I believe. Then convert to local currency.

So $(114990+1390) x 1.1 x 1.2 / 1.09 (Current exchange rate) = E141,000. Price in France E138,990. The LR models are actually still cheaper in Europe than the USA pre taxes.

This is not to say that I don't expect further price adjustments. In the US the Model S LR is $20,000 cheaper than the Plaid, but the X LR is only $10,000 cheaper and the Plaid comes with the 6 seat option. It looks like the X LR price should drop by $10,000.

For the UK, I think around £100k LR, £120k Plaid for the X would be about right with the S being £10k cheaper. current US pricing is about 10% more than this pre tax. Wait times in the US remain short for the S and X except the LR and I guess we might see another $10k cut in the US. which gets prices more in line with what I think is reasonable considering other cars in the market.

I dropped near enough £100K on an X100D in 2017. I’ve kept it thus far. I’m in break fix territory which is OK.

However I really can’t honestly see myself buying another X or an S. I’ve been bitten by that bug / scratched that itch 😅

Nowadays there’s far more quality competition at this price point and I feel you’re paying Tesla a huge premium for some UI tech - no real developments in FSD (in UK especially) and OK access to the supercharger network.

They’re just not £100k + “special” to me at least.

Reactions: imstitch
I dropped near enough £100K on an X100D in 2017. I’ve kept it thus far. I’m in break fix territory which is OK.

However I really can’t honestly see myself buying another X or an S. I’ve been bitten by that bug / scratched that itch 😅

Nowadays there’s far more quality competition at this price point and I feel you’re paying Tesla a huge premium for some UI tech - no real developments in FSD (in UK especially) and OK access to the supercharger network.

They’re just not £100k + “special” to me at least.
To be fair that's why I got a BMW M760Li instead of a Model S P100D when they were close to £140k which was a bit more than the BMW.

Just was no comparison. The BMW is a super luxury limo, had laser headlights, night vision, heated and cooled massage seats front and rear. Could adjust the rear seats a lot, sky lounge with lighting all over, comfortable suspension with active anti-roll bars, etc,etc. Even the central arm rest and door arm rests were heated both front and back, not just the seats.

Oh and with a 6.6 litre twin turbo V12. It wasn't quite as quick as a P100D off the line but once you were moving just as quick, if not quicker. BMW also did an extremely strong deal on PCP and 0% APR as well at the time.

Nothing of course in this price range can beat a Plaid for speed though now. Competition is still nicer though in a lot of ways.

Reactions: Sean.
To be fair that's why I got a BMW M760Li instead of a Model S P100D when they were close to £140k which was a bit more than the BMW.

Just was no comparison. The BMW is a super luxury limo, had laser headlights, night vision, heated and cooled massage seats front and rear. Could adjust the rear seats a lot, sky lounge with lighting all over, comfortable suspension with active anti-roll bars, etc,etc. Even the central arm rest and door arm rests were heated both front and back, not just the seats.

Oh and with a 6.6 litre twin turbo V12. It wasn't quite as quick as a P100D off the line but once you were moving just as quick, if not quicker. BMW also did an extremely strong deal on PCP and 0% APR as well at the time.

Nothing of course in this price range can beat a Plaid for speed though now. Competition is still nicer though in a lot of ways.
Cool. I just got a Taycan Turbo. It's plenty quick enough 😎

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Spoke to my local Tesla place today after chasing an update on Model S Plaid order, placed in October 2021. They said 'some time in 2024', and didn't know when in 2024. Given the original estimate was 'late 2022' this is very disappointing.
Given the UK is one of the largest markets - 2nd only to Germany in Europe, does anyone know how we can escalate this matter so a senior Tesla person can at least explain why and maybe give reliable-ish expected dates?
I've been a Model S owner for 4 years and I know the new ones will be worth the wait, but damn this is frustrating!

They said 'some time in 2024', and didn't know when in 2024. Given the original estimate was 'late 2022' this is very disappointing.

I'll bet you a £pint they have absolutely no idea, as will be proven when the car actually arrives. By chance they might be right, but showroom staff have been so abysmally wrong in the past I have zero confidence in any sort of prediction they make. Why they make stuff up rather than say "dunno" ... I dunno.

EU MS / MX orders seem "soft", so seems to me likely that RHD will go into production soon - excepting if they have parts-supply ro shipping problems of some sort.

escalate this matter so a senior Tesla person can at least explain why and maybe give reliable-ish expected dates?

I very much doubt anyone is going to give you "These are our unpublicised production plans", Tesla doesn't work that way .. .well "Hasn't to date"

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
We’ve currently got a refreshed LHD Model S here in Australia that has arrived for testing. New LHD vehicles are only permitted on the roads here for testing purposes and can only be registered by the manufacturer for a maximum of 12 months. Hopefully this could mean RHD production not too far away.

Reactions: wow400
We’ve currently got a refreshed LHD Model S here in Australia that has arrived for testing. New LHD vehicles are only permitted on the roads here for testing purposes and can only be registered by the manufacturer for a maximum of 12 months. Hopefully this could mean RHD production not too far away.
Or they'll give you a game controller to use fro the right seat...with software pending...🤣

Crazy prices in the US.

Attachments

• D95D1734-C305-4C35-A064-F00094416B6C.png
    D95D1734-C305-4C35-A064-F00094416B6C.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 89