Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very disappointing update on 5 seat Model X cargo flooring panels woes:

"We unfortunately are still working on that refreshed version and unfortunately don’t have an ETA."
... and there is no sight anywhere of the "redesigned", "refreshed" flooring panels in any car.

As I've posted previously my 5 seater X was delivered Dec 22, 2016, with 2 floor panels & the slanted board behind the 2nd row. Am I to assume from the above, that my X 5 seater is not the final version?

As I've posted previously my 5 seater X was delivered Dec 22, 2016, with 2 floor panels & the slanted board behind the 2nd row. Am I to assume from the above, that my X 5 seater is not the final version?

Saxman, if you need more height and want to use the lower cargo floor, can you get a flat floor with the rear well storage covered? Or do you use the rear floor panel in a lower position that isn't flush with the rest of the lower floor?

My preference would be that unless I need a long storage with the rear seats folded, the majority of the time I would have those floor panels stored and would keep the cargo area at the lowest level. My concern with the set up I have seen so far is that if I use the rear floor panel to cover the rear storage well, I don't end up with a continuous lower floor. That rear panel ends up being slightly higher with a gap that will let small things roll into that rear storage well from the forward cargo area. My hope is that Tesla would fix it so that you could get too completely flat storage levels. One that is longer with the rear seats folded, but less tall, and one that is shorter but taller.

My other concern that I can't state for sure is the case, is that it seems there are still cars being delivered with missing pieces. It seems to be pot luck whether you will get a complete car or not. If you don't, then you're going to end up waiting for a long time, per Kincaid's experience, with not satisfaction.

I'm taking delivery of my 5-seater within a week. Will post pictures of the area behind the seats.

Thank you! That is going to be extremely helpful. It also has the potential for creating a less than amicable issue with Tesla if the 5 seat Model X vehicles currently being delivered have the completed version of the cargo area flooring, and the 5 seat Model X vehicles delivered from December through March have been left with incomplete, jury rigged, and unaligned rear cargo flooring. It's fair to ask "what the heck is going on here?"

Your configuration is similar to the manner in which the beths11 5 seat Model X is configured. It is supposedly not the elusive "final design", but it is considerably more complete, even if Tesla considered it a temporary configuration, that the rear cargo area of my vehicle. All that was supplied with my 5 seat 90D was the rear flooring panel. Thus, when that panel is positioned in the upper level so that it is flush with the top of the rear bumper, there is a deep compartment (chasm) of confusion behind the rear row of seats, and anything placed there either rolls forward under the rear seats, or backwards under the small flooring panel. After 3 months, one would think a $115K vehicle ought to have all of its parts. Right?

About 3 weeks ago I demo's a very low-mileage 5-seater at the DFW Gallery/Service Center, complete with floorboards to make one solid flat area. While it was bulky to remove and manipulate, it appeared to be a perfect design, but since I was not aware of this issue, I did not ask about the version of design.

I just canceled my 5-seat order before the week was up, as I am concerned about the airflow of the b-pillar vents when using just one fan system to cool the 2nd row and cargo area, as I often travel with pets. I realize the A/C compressor is the same for all configurations.

In my 6-er, the rear fan can really blow hard cold air via the b-pillars, even the c-pillars (gone in the 5-er).
But during the 5-er demo, even with the single fan at 11, the B-pillar vents were of moderate flow, only improved by closing 2 of the dash vents.

Since nobody has owned a 5-er in the summer heat, I am concerned about the cooling effectiveness of the entire cabin with just one active fan control and the lack of c-pillars.

I much prefer the 5-er seat config, but if the A/C effectiveness is reduced in the heat of a Texas summer, that will be a real bummer.

Any thoughts?

Your comments to my various posts very much align with my perspectives, I appreciate your feedback.

It really comes down to the individual, what elements they prefer and value over others.

The problem is you really have no idea what ownership of a Tesla is like until you get one, even then it takes months to appreciate the genius and flaws of this high-tech, high-priced, brilliant and safe, yet moderately premium vehicle.

For example, as an empty-nester with strong attachments to 3 medium dogs, my need for the "child-sized only" 3rd row seats is minimal, while the folding 2nd row seats are highly valued. In fact, in my opinion, any seat configuration really only seats 4 adults comfortable, since even those with a 3-seat 2nd row still only works for 2 adults. But the 5-seater allows for the addition of a much-missing arm-rest console, nice for 2 adults in the back.

Your mention of a "hot" rear-facing seats in an equipped S is significant news to me, so similar to the rear cargo in a 5-seater with the 2nd row seats up... but I predict there would be better airflow if at least one of those were folded.

Personally, while I agree the 6 and 7 seaters are "prettier" in the 2nd row, that is not so much an issue for me, plus I see under--seat storage under the 2nd row, not possible in the other configs.

So bottom line... personal preference.

For complicated reasons, I will be replacing my 2016 6-seater for another X, and I am 98% percent sure of my selections. While I could just walk away from Tesla, that is just not an option for me given my affection for 90% of everything.... it's just that quirky 10% of knowledge gained from ownership experience and concerns that keeps me from committing to all options before submitting final order.

For reasons of time, I just can't wait until the summer heat to determine if the A/C in the 5-seater will be effective in the open cargo space, so that decision, just like any potential new Tesla owner, requires a "leap of faith" that overall, satisfaction will be had one that large price is traded for a paradigm-shifting new vehicle.

I of course agree that the still unique mix of large battery and long-range enabling charging network is a decided advantage for Tesla. Their focus on those strategic elements has been admirable, while their competition has fiddled their fingers. I would also add one thing: Tesla's constant software updates are a great, unique tool. Too bad Tesla has wasted their time on unnecessary diversions like the falcon wings and monoposts, but no doubt, those strategic advantages still remain...

Indeed, that is one of the issues of this move: five seater is clearly the preferred choice of people with dogs. Yet they can not get trunk ventilation. Everyone knows how hot the Model S jumpseats can get and I guess that is quite comparable to the Model X five-seater... Tesla could have at least unbundled the third-row AC booster/ventilation from the seating configuration by making it included in the 6/7 seater and a price option for the five-seater, but no...

Personally, I prefer the practicality compromises of the six seater compared to the visual and functional downgrade of the five-seater. Model X is a beautiful car and the bench, as it stands and ships, just doesn't quite mesh with it all for me. But its capacity of course is very good. It is a rather big trade-off, no doubt, whichever way you go.

Nice posts @essmd, appreciate them.

As for the AC in Model S vs. Model X, I believe the latter still has additional, higher up vents on the second row in the five-seater, whereas Model S only has the middle vents (and I guess under seat vents) so certainly that, added with the higher level of rear tinting and a bit steeper rear window could mean five-seater Model X is cooler back there than Model S is. Also Model S jumper seats are kind of extreme in their placement... a folded second row would give the dogs a much larger area to lounge around in hopefully in comfort... (Of course this benefit possibly offset a little by the larger Model X front window in the front for very hot regions.)

I definitely understand the practicality aspect of the five-seater. It clearly is superior unless hauling tons of kids all the time. I think you have done your research and once you confirm those little details, will be making a good choice for yourself. :)

IMG_1454.jpg
Picked up my Model X 90D 5 seater today. Spent probably about 90 minutes going over the car with the check list and I have to say, the car is perfect. Door alignment, shut lines, electronics, etc.. The DS and staff were amazing at Dedham and went through all the setup, ensured the firmware was up to date, assigned profiles. The rear floor panels seemed very solid and I can't see any issues with them, and i love the rear bench seat. It reclines far more than the 6/7 seater and is very comfortable. All in all, WOW.

If possible, would one of you new 5-seater owners be willing to post pics or better a short video clip of getting into the rear seat? I'm curious what hand holds will work best, etc.

Reason being I'm going to be transporting my soon to be 89-yr old mother who is recovering from a broken hip and am hoping entry/exit won't be too difficult/taxing for her (and me!). I'm planning to order this July/August.

Thanks if you can

If possible, would one of you new 5-seater owners be willing to post pics or better a short video clip of getting into the rear seat? I'm curious what hand holds will work best, etc.

Reason being I'm going to be transporting my soon to be 89-yr old mother who is recovering from a broken hip and am hoping entry/exit won't be too difficult/taxing for her (and me!). I'm planning to order this July/August.

Thanks if you can
I'll leave it to others who already have their X's to give you the more authoritative information, but in the meantime I'll give you my observations from looking at photos that others have posted. I was actually thinking about the location of the 2nd row seat in relation to the door opening the other day.

Here are a couple of photos that @hareleyman posted of his 5-seater. What I had been noticing is that the door opening was designed and made wider to make it easier for access to the 3rd row. Because of this, the cushion of the seat is fully exposed, as the photos show, without the wheel well extending past the back of the seat. It seems to me that this would make it possible to face away from the car with your legs against the sill of the door opening and simply sit straight down. Another good thing is that because there's no roof opening edge with the falcon wing doors open, you also don't need to worry about the back of your head hitting the edge of the roof. Unfortunately, no hand holds anywhere from what I understand. Tesla hasn't really paid much attention to the refinements of the design of the interior. They've concentrated of the driving experience, and man!, have they succeeded in that!

As I previously said, this is all speculation on my part (except the driving experience comment, I own a Model S), since I haven't been able to see a 5-seater in person yet. But it gives you something to think about and others can comment. I love that Titanium color, by the way. If it were still available, it's what I would be ordering. In fact, that's the leather i would pick as well. Hey, @hareleyman, if you want to sell your car, let me know (not likely).

IMG_3630.JPG
IMG_3621.JPG

Reactions: MP3Mike

Thanks if you can

There is nothing to hold on to other than the head rests of the front seats.

The door is wide open though, and the car isn't very high. I'm guessing there should be no problem getting into the car.

Nice posts @essmd, appreciate them.

Appreciate the ongoing dialogue...good to find intelligence on theses forums, not always prevalent.

As for the AC in Model S vs. Model X, I believe the latter still has additional, higher up vents on the second row in the five-seater, whereas Model S only has the middle vents (and I guess under seat vents) so certainly that, added with the higher level of rear tinting and a bit steeper rear window could mean five-seater Model X is cooler back there than Model S is. Also Model S jumper seats are kind of extreme in their placement... a folded second row would give the dogs a much larger area to lounge around in hopefully in comfort... (Of course this benefit possibly offset a little by the larger Model X front window in the front for very hot regions.)

I definitely understand the practicality aspect of the five-seater. It clearly is superior unless hauling tons of kids all the time. I think you have done your research and once you confirm those little details, will be making a good choice for yourself. :)

You are correct, the B-Pillar vents in the 5er and the 6-er are at the same location. When I demo's the 5-er, the single fan on High with all dash vents open provided about as much air flow through the B-pillar vents as the 6-er does with the rear control set to 4 (B-pillar tied to rear control . Only with fully closing the 2 middle dash vents resulted in air flow closer to 7 or 8, probably enough to adequately coo passengers, and get enough airflow to the back with folded 2nd row seats for pets, which would be virtually all the time.

Being the A/C compressor is the same for all configs, the overall cooling impact should be the same.

FWIW, my neurosis over this stems from a '08-ish Lexus GX460 that just downsized to a V-6, and the A/C compressor was reduced to reserve HP for driving power. Living in Tx, we went round and round with the dealership since the A/C at idle was crap, albeit met specs to cool 40 degrees from ambient temp. So at 100 deg outside, A/C did blow at 60 deg on medium flow, but 40 degs is ideal comfort A/C.

Admittedly, I delayed my X build from April to July, since I needed to confirm the EV A/C system was adequate, and was not about to spend over $100K and get into a similar A/C issue.

I did some airflow testing in my 6-er, and currently think the 5-er will handle the Texas heat as well as my 6-er, especially after I fully thermal tint all the windows as I currently have, which makes a huge difference.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11

Thanks if you can

What a great son... hope all goes well.

I predict the 5-seater will be the perfect transport vehicle for her, far superior to the 6 or 7 seater due to the reclining action, possibly preference to lie down on her non-operative side, propped up with pillows (personally had hip replacemement).

Don't forget to drop the suspension.