Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and S Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously? That’s ridiculous. Does it rub the paint off completely like mine does?

I have 1500 miles. I put some protection film over mine, look at how bad it is now

The rest of the car does feel more solid, so I give them that. Still you don’t buy Tesla for fit and finish.

Attachments

• 7F09A691-4B0F-4216-8C03-D217D1C61EA2.jpeg
    7F09A691-4B0F-4216-8C03-D217D1C61EA2.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 144
  • FA67F44D-972D-4451-A3A3-26E712A961CE.jpeg
    FA67F44D-972D-4451-A3A3-26E712A961CE.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: holaev19
I guess no model years is a very lean approach. You just use the old parts until you run out and then switch to the new ones. Be interesting how vendor parts contracts are written. I think Tesla should simply go to a 6 month cycle. Every Jan or July there will be changes, that way everyone can plan accordingly.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
I guess no model years is a very lean approach. You just use the old parts until you run out and then switch to the new ones. Be interesting how vendor parts contracts are written. I think Tesla should simply go to a 6 month cycle. Every Jan or July there will be changes, that way everyone can plan accordingly.

Then no one would pay full price in June or December, and Tesla would either have to discount cars or idle the factory or both - which would mean that to have the same average profit they'd have to charge at little more for the cars the rest of the year.

The Osborne Effect is very real, especially with cars, and these unscheduled unannounced changes seem to be the only way to avoid it, even though it can be sad for some customers.

I got my AP1 car two months before AP2 came out, after a four month wait from ordering. Still everything I ordered, and an amazing car, but now that FSD is finally getting sorted out I'd love to be able to upgrade.

Ditto. My X 90D with AP1, 22” wheels, and a practical range of about 180 miles is feeling...uh...old. Ready for an upgrade but willing to wait until the 2170 pack and interior refresh.

Exact same boat - except with 20 inch wheels.
I'm going to follow your lead and cool my heels ...but it's so tempting.

Would love to get full FSD and the new shocks/driving dynamic (I miss my Porsche - shhhhhhhhh!)

Very tempted to upgrade to performance ludricrous from our Dec 2017 MX100D.

Psychologically, I have been leveraging more and more free Supercharging lately to feel better about the value of our car.... about $15-20 free Supercharging at a time

After the "free Ludicrous" announcement, looked at the possibility of replacing our 2017 S 100D or 2018 X 100D with a 2019 S/X P with the free Ludicrous mode.

And I suspect other current owners will quickly reach the same conclusion we did - it doesn't make any sense.

While new S/X vehicles are less expensive because of the price decrease several months ago, that will also likely be reflected in the trade-in value for both vehicles (losing $10K on our S and $15K on our X).

Going from a 100D to a new P/Ludicrous model reduces the increased range. Our S 100D has (had) 330 rated miles. We'd get 345 rated miles with a new P/Ludicrous, much less than the 370 miles we'd get with a Long Range version. We'd prefer getting the LR version with the longest range.

If Tesla really wanted to encourage current S/X owners to purchase new vehicles, they would likely need to make a different offer allowing us to purchase a Long Range model (instead of the Performance model), such as:
  • Transfer FSD activation from the current S/X to the new purchase
  • Transfer FUSC from the current S/X to the new purchase
  • Transfer extended warranty and any unused portion of the pre-paid service plan to the new purchase
  • Add the vehicle to the Early Access list, to provide earlier access to new software updates
  • And might even need to add more to compensate for the cost of paying sales tax again and the high depreciation for trading in a recently purchased S/X (for those trading in AP 2+ vehicles)
While this iteration of the S/X is tempting, the net cost is too high (especially with the higher cost of purchasing the performance model, with the shorter range) - and we'll likely sit this out, unless Tesla can come up with a better deal.

Plus, Musk announced on Monday they plan to introduce another new battery pack for S/3/X that will have 2-3X more lifetime (guessing that will put all Tesla vehicles on the same pack design). And those S/X would likely get the full benefits on V3 supercharging. While the new motor/pack design has benefits - we'll go through this again next year with another pack/charging change.

If Tesla really, really believes they are going to have a Tesla Network in a few years, maybe they should look at what the cell phone manufacturers are doing - and have a "Tesla Forever" purchase plan, where you can upgrade to a new Tesla every 1-2 years and used the returned vehicles for CPO, service loaners or the Tesla Network...

Has anyone seen any clarification for charge rates for current 100D's built prior to today? The Motor Trend article mentions that charge rates will be increased via OTA, but the Tesla post does not. Since it is the same battery chemistry, can a 100D built late last year handle the higher V2 and 200Kw V3 rates? Or is it a hardware change in the newer S/X to allow for it?

Has anyone seen any clarification for charge rates for current 100D's built prior to today? The Motor Trend article mentions that charge rates will be increased via OTA, but the Tesla post does not. Since it is the same battery chemistry, can a 100D built late last year handle the higher V2 and 200Kw V3 rates? Or is it a hardware change in the newer S/X to allow for it?

I believe the wiring to the battery and possibly the chargeport has changed in the updated model to allow higher current. It has been noted I several teardowns that the wiring might be a limiting factor.

@bob_p i came to same conclusion. If Musk didn't mention about the upcoming battery pack changes in coming next year, this new update will look good to me because I do not like the Model 3 type of interior. Now, the new battery pack may push another range increase, we may see near 400 miles for long range then your jump is from 300 to 400 that is 25% not just 10% increase.

Reactions: shrfu31
After the "free Ludicrous" announcement, looked at the possibility of replacing our 2017 S 100D or 2018 X 100D with a 2019 S/X P with the free Ludicrous mode.

And I suspect other current owners will quickly reach the same conclusion we did - it doesn't make any sense.

While new S/X vehicles are less expensive because of the price decrease several months ago, that will also likely be reflected in the trade-in value for both vehicles (losing $10K on our S and $15K on our X).

Going from a 100D to a new P/Ludicrous model reduces the increased range. Our S 100D has (had) 330 rated miles. We'd get 345 rated miles with a new P/Ludicrous, much less than the 370 miles we'd get with a Long Range version. We'd prefer getting the LR version with the longest range.

If Tesla really wanted to encourage current S/X owners to purchase new vehicles, they would likely need to make a different offer allowing us to purchase a Long Range model (instead of the Performance model), such as:
  • Transfer FSD activation from the current S/X to the new purchase
  • Transfer FUSC from the current S/X to the new purchase
  • Transfer extended warranty and any unused portion of the pre-paid service plan to the new purchase
  • Add the vehicle to the Early Access list, to provide earlier access to new software updates
  • And might even need to add more to compensate for the cost of paying sales tax again and the high depreciation for trading in a recently purchased S/X (for those trading in AP 2+ vehicles)
While this iteration of the S/X is tempting, the net cost is too high (especially with the higher cost of purchasing the performance model, with the shorter range) - and we'll likely sit this out, unless Tesla can come up with a better deal.

Plus, Musk announced on Monday they plan to introduce another new battery pack for S/3/X that will have 2-3X more lifetime (guessing that will put all Tesla vehicles on the same pack design). And those S/X would likely get the full benefits on V3 supercharging. While the new motor/pack design has benefits - we'll go through this again next year with another pack/charging change.

If Tesla really, really believes they are going to have a Tesla Network in a few years, maybe they should look at what the cell phone manufacturers are doing - and have a "Tesla Forever" purchase plan, where you can upgrade to a new Tesla every 1-2 years and used the returned vehicles for CPO, service loaners or the Tesla Network...

All about where you're coming from. My X is two months too old to ever get FSD, and I really want that eventually.

I've been waiting until Tesla looked like they had a solution together, in part because I thought there was a a good chance they'd end up needing more sensors and I would once again be left with a car they won't retrofit.

The Automation Event more or less convinced me that they'll get at least level 3 and likely level 4 working with the current sensors and probably the current computer fairly soon, so I was already thinking about an upgrade when this offer hit.

$10k extra and an 8% hit on the range that's already ~40% more than I have now for half the 0-60 time and some bonus resale value seems pretty attractive. (But a lot of money overall. Still thinking.)

That’s my question too. Or do they mean there’s a new half shaft available but you have to buy a new car? ;)

If this were not Tesla that would be how you got the latest parts.

My BMW had issues with the hard and noisy shifts in the transmission and a whining noise. The dealer's response "Oh, they fixed that in this year's model. Want to take a test drive?"