Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Autopilot Problem - Pretty Scary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These accidents and more to come, show this software is not ready to be on the public roads. In this case, GM's "creativity" of delaying the software will be a image and cost saving move. Tesla is already paying the price with safety investigations, bad press and a lawsuit.

Your assertion regarding Tesla is exaggerated and premature at best.

As for Cadillac, it is important to realize that the current state of their semi-autonomous 'Super Cruise' mode is such that it did not actually qualify for entrance in a recent self-drive benchmark, as reported by motortrend:

Testing (Semi) Autonomous Cars With Tesla, Cadillac, Hyundai, and Mercedes - Motor Trend

So Cadillac is not even able to provide their customers with anything close to what Tesla offers.

As such their "image and cost saving move" comes across as specious.

Reactions: idoco and SSD420
These accidents and more to come, show this software is not ready to be on the public roads. In this case, GM's "creativity" of delaying the software will be a image and cost saving move. Tesla is already paying the price with safety investigations, bad press and a lawsuit.

Are you saying that, because there are accidents with Autopilot enabled, they should not allow it to be enabled? To take that logic to an extreme, should people be outlawed from driving as they cause 100's of accidents a day??

If the net affect of having Autopilor enabled is a lowering of the accident rate, isn't that a good thing????

Reactions: SSD420 and ABCCBA
If the net affect of having Autopilor enabled is a lowering of the accident rate, isn't that a good thing????

Absolutely. I'm sure the safety of AutoPilot and other similar systems will be the focus of study. It has to be relevant data. The data Tesla currently sights for safety, does not tell the story. Statistics that include data when AutoPilot would not be used are meaningless.

Since SuperCruise has been deemed "not ready to be released", we don't know how it works. Obviously the adults in their new legal dept. decided it wasn't ready and was not worth the risk.

UBSanalystsColin LanganandEddie Hsiehasses the news thatTesla Motors(TSLA) is now beinginvestigated by the SEC for failing to disclose the death of a driverusing its Autopilot system: That said, we believe Tesla’s comparison of the Autopilot fatality as the first in >130 million miles of driving vs. all US vehicles (one in every 94 million miles) doesn’t take into account that Autopilot is operated in certain restricted conditions (highway) and with human oversight, while the overall US stats include all environments and a broad range of safety technology.

UBSanalystsColin LanganandEddie Hsiehasses the news thatTesla Motors(TSLA) is now beinginvestigated by the SEC for failing to disclose the death of a driverusing its Autopilot system: That said, we believe Tesla’s comparison of the Autopilot fatality as the first in >130 million miles of driving vs. all US vehicles (one in every 94 million miles) doesn’t take into account that Autopilot is operated in certain restricted conditions (highway) and with human oversight, while the overall US stats include all environments and a broad range of safety technology.

Some of these accidents including the one death occurred on non-recommended roads so you may want to rethink your argument.

Everyone is using AP everywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420 and X Yes?
The general rule is 3 seconds. You need 3 seconds between you and the car in front to account for reaction time. 70 mph is about 103 feet/sec. That means you need to be back about 309'. As AEB gets better it will become safer to follow closer but right now the 3 second rule is still a good one. Two seconds is pushing it and means you better be very vigilant. All of this assumes your car and the car you are following have the same braking distances.

It may be possible in Georgia to allow 300 ft behind the car in front of you, but if you leave that much space in CA, at least three other cars will rush in to fill the gap. :)

Are you saying that, because there are accidents with Autopilot enabled, they should not allow it to be enabled? To take that logic to an extreme, should people be outlawed from driving as they cause 100's of accidents a day??

You are right. The thread should be titled, "Model X DRIVER problem: Pretty Scary."

• Love
Reactions: SSD420
It may be possible in Georgia to allow 300 ft behind the car in front of you, but if you leave that much space in CA, at least three other cars will rush in to fill the gap. :)

In slower busy traffic I find I need to use 1 or 2 - any higher setting results in people constantly diving in front of me. Makes for a very jerky and unsafe ride when they do. I find no problem with a 2-3 second follow time (setting 5-6-7) in normal highway traffic.

Last edited:
I dispute it.

Quite simply it is false. Brain activity just can't be modeled anything like that simply.

You don't have to take my word for it. Try this: Engage Autopilot. Focus on "driving." Don't attempt to shadow drive, however: don't move your hands and feet.

Now disengage Autopilot and begin driving. Remain just as focused as you were on your previous subjects of attention. Don't let that waver. Operate the steering, brakes, and accelerator. Do you imagine your brain activity went down? How could it, when you changed nothing about your brain except adding several new responsibiliies? Now, consider your motor cortex. Do you think that adding wheel and pedal movements caused less activity in that region? Even kept it the same?

What do you think happens in reverse?

Last edited:
Do you imagine your brain activity went down? How could it, when you changed nothing about your brain except adding several new responsibiliies? Now, consider your motor cortex. Do you think that adding wheel and pedal movements caused less activity in that region? Even kept it the same?
I don't have a position for or against the increase in brain activity in the context provided. However, I have to disagree that what we "imagine" or "feel" has any bearing on what's actually happening. The word indisputable shouldn't be slung around too easily. Almost everything's disputable to some degree by reasonable people.

With all the news coverage and discussion about Autopilot, I think back to the days of the backseat driver. You know, the person who is constantly telling the driver what to do. In those days, it was normally best to ignore the last second bad advice and shouts to "watch out!" that could cause an accident if the brakes were applied without judgement.

May I suggest that Autopilot is like the backseat driver. It nags you to watch the road, grab the wheel and pay attention. But in this case, you better watch, listen and do what the backseat driver tells you.

I don't have a position for or against the increase in brain activity in the context provided. However, I have to disagree that what we "imagine" or "feel" has any bearing on what's actually happening. The word indisputable shouldn't be slung around too easily. Almost everything's disputable to some degree by reasonable people.

Harumph! WelI... I dispute that.

• Funny
Reactions: Mark Z and ohmman