Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said I reserve my judgement until I'm getting used to the look. The verdict is now in. The X is by far the most beautiful SUV if not vehicle there is. I can't even say S is definetely the better looking one. Even the front of the white X, which I first thought look a little strange, now looks so clean and modern. So far I've only looked at photos, yeah I looked at a lot of them, while everyone who saw the car says it looks even better in person. Go take a look at those Cheyennes, Q7's and Range Rovers they don't stand a chance.

Last edited:
I have seen quite a shift overall with people getting used to it (at least here in this forum). I remember at the reveal, everyone said the white looked terrible and the darker colors were best. However, looking at ModelXTracker, white's the second most popular color ordered.

The Model S nose looks dated to me now, so I'm looking forward to seeing when that hits a refresh.

I have seen quite a shift overall with people getting used to it (at least here in this forum). I remember at the reveal, everyone said the white looked terrible and the darker colors were best. However, looking at ModelXTracker, white's the second most popular color ordered.

The Model S nose looks dated to me now, so I'm looking forward to seeing when that hits a refresh.

The Model S nose looks dated to me too, but only when the two Teslas are side-by-side (in pictures at least, I haven't seen a Model X in person yet). I think the Model X looks more grown-up and mature than the Model S, and the huge floating T on the front helps that overall look. The black plasticky background around the Model S's T doesn't look that great any more when one compares the two ... :smile:

The LR Evoque has actually won quite a few style awards:
(click post link to view photos in original post)

The new XC90:
(click post link to view photos in original post)

Awards or no, the Evoque looks all chin and no face to me. Model X wins. However, the new Volvo looks nice. Just the right balance of history / design language and cool new headlights and other minor visual details.

If you don't like it now you will probably get used to it and learn to love it.

IMO, a beautiful car is something you first see and get an emotional reaction. You do a double take and think to yourself, man that's a good looking car! The first time I saw an S that happened. I don't think a beautiful car is something you "get used to" and "learn to love it". This is the case with the X.

The X is kind of both. My first reaction was to the white X, and it was "Ew." But when I saw the blue I was "That's beautiful!" The features that I found ugly had a subtle different look with a different colour.

Quite honestly, no amount of pictures convey how very good the X looks in person! That said, the S and X have different functions and since form follows function they obviously don't evoke the same response in everyone.

My wife was just as hot to me when she was 8 months pregnant as before she was pregnant. But I think it's safe to say that for most people a beautiful pregnant woman they don't know is not as 'hot' as she would be had they met her before her pregnancy.

Point being, the S will turn quite a few heads just driving along (though it's not all that different in looks from many other European sedans. If it weren't for the door handles I would have trouble distinguishing it from an Audi). The X will turn heads in parking lots when it loads or unloads people through the X doors, and it will turn the heads of CUV/MPV drivers since it's so much better looking than their cars and we tend to look most at cars that serve the same function as our current cars.

Model X is a beautiful car. I didn't liked the white one when it was revealed. But as soon as I saw it in other colours, I knew it is beautiful. Eventually, I have come to appreciate white X as extremely beautiful too. I find the front look of X to be better looking than S. It's just my humble opinion.

If it was really going to be reminiscent of a Prius, it would need a few styling changes. The one demonstrated below in particular.

tesla-model-x-update-prius-inspired.jpg

Model X looks great in person and my initial reaction was "Wow that is gorgeous". Looks absolutely nothing like a Prius. It is difficult to photograph. My initial reaction to pictures was "meh". It might have to do with scale -- the Model X looks small in pictures, but in person it has a strong presence due to it's proportions and size.

IMO, a beautiful car is something you first see and get an emotional reaction. You do a double take and think to yourself, man that's a good looking car! The first time I saw an S that happened. I don't think a beautiful car is something you "get used to" and "learn to love it". This is the case with the X.

That's actually not true. People are usually conditioned to what they normally think is good looking for a car or most anything else. The accepted "standard" of what looks good and what does not will change with time too. Tell me if you think tight pants or baggy pants look better?

That's actually not true. People are usually conditioned to what they normally think is good looking for a car or most anything else. The accepted "standard" of what looks good and what does not will change with time too. Tell me if you think tight pants or baggy pants look better?
We'll agree to disagree. I like plenty of vehicles that have been described as "ugly". I loved the Prius and Leaf when I first saw them. I dislike plenty of vehicles that are incredibly popular and well-liked as well. In pictures/videos I happen to find the Model X's front end unattractive, but I'm reserving final judgement until I see it in person, as anyone should. Maybe in person it's fantastic. This situation exemplifies agnosticism, as we don't have enough data to properly make a final decision (excepting those who've seen one in person)

I think this thread has run it's course. Many like it, many don't. More posts saying the same thing over and over is fruitless IMO. But, it will carry on another 12 pages I've got no doubt :)

Friends of mine are in one of two camps concerning design:
1. Ugly (looks too similar to a Prius due to aerodynamic design compromises)
2. Sexy

Personally, I keep flipping between the two - what about you guys? Kinda sad the nose cone is gone, personally.

It is the UGLIEST car I have ever seen. How can someone designed S, which is a such beautiful car comes up with X. I was really bummed out when I first see X, and that opinion hasn't changed since.

My opinion has changed slightly. I was initially in line for the MX and loved the look before and after the big reveal. Since getting the MS, I can see its "sexiness" how the MX looks a tad frumpy in comparison. I still think the MX is the best looking among all CUVs and SUVs and I might get one in a few years when fully autonomous driving is available.