Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Front Suspension Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a BS post. I dont believe one word, I know who this is. There should be way for real owners to be able to have verified tmc accounts. its not cool to have people with 5 posts being able to post headlines like "suspension failure" , then these same guys quote tmc and it appears on the media to help their short positions. Prove me wrong OP and show us the paperwork from Tesla with your repairs and names involved in your case.

You should be grateful this guy is alerting you to potential problems on your car. Entirely legit that he has 5 posts, he might have a life outside of this forum. See Motor Trends recent long term test, their Model S needed a front ball joint in less than 40K miles.

I just had my front half shaft assembly replaced for the acceleration judder and car is now smooth again. Is the control arm related to that piece? Just wondering if that area is weak or if there is a design issue in the build there? I know I am not the only one on these forums that has had the half shaft issue.

I have a sharp left turn onto my driveway uphill and can feel the four wheel drive strain a bit just past mid turn. Would this be a concern? My other 4wd cars have some wheel slip on this turn if in locked mode and maybe that is what i am feeling with the MX. I am assuming that the MX has locked front and rear axles full time but not a mechanically inclined guy in any way.

I just had my front half shaft assembly replaced for the acceleration judder and car is now smooth again. Is the control arm related to that piece? Just wondering if that area is weak or if there is a design issue in the build there? I know I am not the only one on these forums that has had the half shaft issue.

I have a sharp left turn onto my driveway uphill and can feel the four wheel drive strain a bit just past mid turn. Would this be a concern? My other 4wd cars have some wheel slip on this turn if in locked mode and maybe that is what i am feeling with the MX. I am assuming that the MX has locked front and rear axles full time but not a mechanically inclined guy in any way.
Actually, this would fall in line with what I wrote earlier. If you have a shudder, that could indicate a lose suspension that could (over time) stress the suspension to failure. These two issues may be related.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy and KZKZ
Happy to take my words back if he proves me wrong. I want to see paperwork signed by a Tesla employee or a real vin number. He has so many details on his post and his past work experience in exactly this ha! but nothing that proves its his car. Plus if you go to the original link he posted , theres Eddie and Sreddy talking to each other. just like they are doing here. Man , these guys are getting more sloppy.

Hey electicity? I've own a Tesla since 2013. Tot familiar with @sreddy, but he posted this on the TM forum and I was curious since I have a MX also. It isn't verified yet, but my car is going into the shop again and can verify if the TSB is legit. I don't really participate here on TMC, but i'm very active in TM forum. Not everyone is out to destroy Tesla, some are just reporting their *sugar* experiences with their New MX. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't know how to post a picture on TM forum, so we are taking the chat over to this forum. But in a few days should I should be able to verify if this is legit.

Some more notable failures to date is Bjorn's first motor failure in less than 1 month of owning a MX. WTF!

Hey electicity? I've own a Tesla since 2013. Tot familiar with @sreddy, but he posted this on the TM forum and I was curious since I have a MX also. It isn't verified yet, but my car is going into the shop again and can verify if the TSB is legit. I don't really participate here on TMC, but i'm very active in TM forum. Not everyone is out to destroy Tesla, some are just reporting their *sugar* experiences with their New MX. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't know how to post a picture on TM forum, so we are taking the chat over to this forum. But in a few days should I should be able to verify if this is legit.

Some more notable failures to date is Bjorn's first motor failure in less than 1 month of owning a MX. WTF!

I TOTALLY agree. It's not cool to call someone a liar unless you are 1000% sure. There are FAR more lurkers out there than posters. The internet will always be like that. It's not uncommon to wait to post until you have a problem. I love my Tesla but I know there are tons of issues out there. I don't know if the OP's post is legit or not but I'm sure not going to call someone out as a liar without knowing 100%.

I totally agree with eddiemoy.

If it is of any interest, my brand new Lexus Rx450 did a front wheel bearing at 3000klm, and it took 3 visits to the shop to get them to believe me, as they said there has never been a wheel bearing failure on this model. Then at 5000 k the right front failed- Lexus were staggered. When the left rear went at 12000 k they did both rears. My point is, even fabulously engineered cars from mature manufacturers have defects from time to time, and it is not unreasonable to expect it occasionally.
Also, The tie rod in the op picture may have failed from over stress which has not been reported in case it voided warranty. (If the post is genuine, that is.)

here are pictures from my Model X front suspension. Looks fine, but I'm no expert. Also talked to my service manager and he said don't believe everything you read. He is unaware of any TSB on my Model X and he looked it up too. Sorry, I was mistaken, but my next service visit in next Thursday!

driver side

passenger side

Reactions: cmd_keen
here are pictures from my Model X front suspension. Looks fine, but I'm no expert. Also talked to my service manager and he said don't believe everything you read. He is unaware of any TSB on my Model X and he looked it up too. Sorry, I was mistaken, but my next service visit in next Thursday!

driver side

passenger side

Eddie,
Did you just take delivery??? The bottom on your X is pristine!

Last edited:
Actually, this would fall in line with what I wrote earlier. If you have a shudder, that could indicate a lose suspension that could (over time) stress the suspension to failure. These two issues may be related.

All these suspension problems are concerning. Why are all these problems happening, design issue or poor quality control or what?

I didn't see anyone claiming that there was a TSB for this issue. Did someone say that?

This failure seems to be an isolated case. It definitely is not related to the ball joint failure from Car & Driver or the one in Pennsylvania. Those two were both corrosion failures of the upper ball joint. If you live in a state with salted roads, you should definitely have them inspected at the annual service.

Status
Not open for further replies.