Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could the base install be a 15kW charger with a service center installed additional 5kW charger for the same 20kW of power? For people without two EVs 6 hours of charging would almost always be quick enough for nighttime charging.

Could the base install be a 15kW charger with a service center installed additional 5kW charger for the same 20kW of power? For people without two EVs 6 hours of charging would almost always be quick enough for nighttime charging.

one would hope, but that's not what the info is saying:

To be clear, my source told me that it would be a single charger, and doubles wouldn't be offered. Again, he mentioned that part of the reason was that with the "magic carpet" third row, there was a lot of rearranging to be done back there.

To be clear, my source told me that it would be a single charger, and doubles wouldn't be offered. Again, he mentioned that part of the reason was that with the "magic carpet" third row, there was a lot of rearranging to be done back there.

Maybe there's an option for a SINGLE charger that is 20Kw?

Seems a reasonable conclusion. I'd still find it very disappointing. I'm one of the ones that has dual chargers and loves it. I don't care if the car can charge overnight, I'd like my car charged in as short amount of time as possible.

I agree... I'd be disappointed as well. I bought dual chargers for when I'd need it... which is typically not very often, but are times where it's critical.

Maybe there's an option for a SINGLE charger that is 20Kw?

I'm not going to stress over this rumor. This is very unlike Tesla, typically they improve charge times, not lengthen them. They may have created a larger single charger, but I'd be surprised if they still don't provide a 2nd charger option. Or if they remove the double charger, then it would be replaced by an equivalent single charger option. Either way, whatever change they make, I would expect that the charging times will remain the same or improve.

What about all the money Tesla has dumped into giving away HPWC for the Destination charging program? Model X would not be able to take advantage of the full capability of those systems. I got dual chargers with no intention of using them at home. Since that time, Tesla has given HPWC to several places I like to go in eastern Oregon and I've used them many times. Model X should be an even better road trip car. As Teslas become more an more common, fast charging at destinations will be more important so more vehicles can be charged on the same equipment in less time.

Perhaps there is another reason for not offering the dual chargers. There has been a suspicion for a while that rapid supercharging could hurt battery lifetime. For a good report on this, see

Life With Tesla Model S: Does Supercharging Cut Battery Capacity?

It occurs to me that Tesla might be trying to limit extremely rapid charging to maintain lifetime of their batteries. This even occurred to me when Elon came out and said that they might limit people who were using superchargers for local charging. Tesla can't really come out and say that this hurts battery lifetime, as they have denied it for so long, but perhaps they will try to discourage it except when necessary.

60 amps charging would definitely preserve battery lifetime over 80+ amp charging.

Ron
SigX #1015

Maybe this is a new mobile adapter for a NEMA 14-60 giving us 48 amp charging. That would be an improvement over the current Model S max 14-50 which maxes at 40 amp.
I think we have a winner! The only way adding a bigger single charger to the car makes sense is if it can be used with the UMC that's included with the car. Going from 14-50 to 14-60 allows use of the highest amperage plug commonly available, thus allowing the larger battery to charge faster.

Perhaps there is another reason for not offering the dual chargers. There has been a suspicion for a while that rapid supercharging could hurt battery lifetime.

Supercharging bypasses the onboard chargers though, for one. For two: I could see Tesla better educating consumers or better handling the charge curve to protect the batteries, not SLOW DOWN a process they're touting as fast (and have been making faster).

60 amps charging would definitely preserve battery lifetime over 80+ amp charging.

Perhaps, but don't hold my hand. Make me aware of the downsides of doing something and I'll make my own decision as to whether or not I'll do it, and how often.

Hopefully we get some clarify tomorrow.

Perhaps, but don't hold my hand. Make me aware of the downsides of doing something and I'll make my own decision as to whether or not I'll do it, and how often.

That's how it's set up for Roadster owners when selecting charge mode - you are notified that what you're doing could potentially shorten battery life and you confirm that's what you want to do.

If Tesla is about to introduce a new, higher-grade charger in the Model X that can take 60A... that would be great. Destination charging connectors supplied by Tesla after this introduction would obviously be capable of supplying two at that new power rating (so... 120A). Older Model S cars like mine would only draw 80A maximum from this newer connector.

Perhaps the HPWC will be upgraded to supply 120A. If this occurs, we shouldn't be too surprised if it comes with a water-cooled cable that has a "hum" rather like a water pump in a tropical fishtank :) The current HPWC has a design issue that causes the handle to get very hot sometimes - too hot to touch. Perhaps there will be a two-tier HPWC product range.

Lyon... all destination chargers would still work, they would supply 40A, 60A, 80A or 120A depending on what your car draws from it.

Don't forget that the Model S and the Model X share the "Generation 2" platform. Perhaps the Model S will be upgraded to 60A charger(s) too.

The only thing I am worried about is that Tesla will want to phase out (no pun untended) the second internal charger altogether... and only go with 60A maximum current. That sounds scary. I love charging at home using 80A. I've been concerned to see them de-emphasise the 2nd charger like they have, I've never really understood it. I refuse to believe they can't "fit" a second charger into the Model X - a vehicle that has even more storage space than the Model S.

That's how it's set up for Roadster owners when selecting charge mode - you are notified that what you're doing could potentially shorten battery life and you confirm that's what you want to do.

And if you max charge 2x on a Model S, the next time you get in the car it alerts you of the same. I would think that's more than sufficient. I can't see them engineering a roadblock just to stop faster charging.