Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in Canada - Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you factor in HST we are now paying 50% more than US list price for a Model S! What really irks me is that the reason the Model S/X cost is so high is due to our low dollar which has been caused by low oil prices. Also there is now incrementally more duty and HST added which is giving the government more revenue and yet Tesla's have a new much reduced EV rebate here in Ontario that is lower than a 40 km range plug-in Prius or Hyundai Sonata. The reasoning for the lower EV rebate is supposedly because Tesla's are so expensive. Did I mention that this is now much worse because of taxes and low oil? So the only vehicle that has the potential to displace the worst polluting SUV's and reduce GHG's the most is purposely being shut out of the program partly due to the effects of low oil. Given the current environment a full battery electric SUV that seats 7 and can tow should be getting at the very least the maximum EV incentive! The oil industry seems to be winning. Apparently people who buy Tesla's don't need an incentive because they have enough money to spend and will spend it anyway. Well this is false. Everybody has there limits and mine has been reached. If the government allows the full $14K rebate for the Model X and the dollar improves then I may re-consider buying one but at this point $150K+ is just too rich for me as I require the 90kWH battery, 7 seats and towing package. After anxiously waiting two years for the X, to my great great dissapointment I will have to continue driving my Ford Expedition.
Excellent points. I agree with many of the observations made.

I too was blown away by the pricing. One factor we may be missing here is that I believe that prices for Tesla cars will be going up across the board in a week or so. I'm guessing the design studio reflects the increase so they don't have to crank it up in a week or so. If the Canadian pricing goes up again, then I can't explain why our pricing seems so much higher.
If I buy I'm planning on the 90D as range is more important than acceleration to me with the X (it likely still blows the doors of any other SUV). It seems there is about a $30,000 difference to jump to the P90D which is definitely not worth it unless you want to drag race. The only other down side is that you can't get the active spoiler or the red brake calipers (or ludicrous) with the non-P but I'm not too bothered about those options.

I'm so glad I've converted my X reservation for an S last September... In my opinion, the X is a very nice SUV, but not worth the price on the Canadian market. As I was told a couple of months ago by a TMC member, when you know you are going to spend a lot of dollars on a US product, you should convert that money ahead of time in USD to prevent a falling dollar. That guy had switched a lot of his invested money into a USD portfolio. Smart thing to do and to remember for the rest of us!

For all the guys cancelling their reservations, I hope you'll consider the S. Every driver that switches to EV is a good thing, be a Tesla or not.

I finally decided to attend the Vancouver event (I had an invite as I'm a reservation holder). I think there were still Monday slots for those who have the invite link and I managed to get a 14:30 spot on Saturday. I'm literally flying in for the drive though I will stay overnight with my brother and fly out in the AM. Will probably bring my brother along though I could possibly include someone else if anyone is interested. Although the website suggested my booking was successful, I have not received a confirmation email yet so I'm suspicious that maybe the spot wasn't available.

In other news, myTesla had the word "Ready" beside my model X reservation and now I can configure.

Hey my wife and I have a slot booked for 1300 on Saturday; will likely see you there ;-)

I think you can almost buy two Roadsters for the price of a fully loaded X.
By comparing apples and oranges one can always prove that water is louder than black.

One can only compare base price. Comparing fully-loaded prices is already fishy because of different options.
Comparing fully loaded with a base is pure BS. One should be able to do better than that.

We tried to go see the X at the Meet the X event in Montreal today and we got gently told to get the f... out since we didn't had a reservation. We saw one for around 1.5 seconds before it left the parking. Also the parking was super full and the chargers were full of people, even a Subaru in the charging spot at the store. We we're told that there would be a X in the show room in some weeks or we could make a 5K deposit to test drive it. Anyway, price are way too high right now, but even if you look right now the same model S that I ordered in April 2015 is now almost 20K higher (with taxes etc) with the same configuration. The dollar is killing us.

i am cross posting ...but I feel I need to ....

Well I got the configure now email. OUCH! I am number 70 something in Canada and that is after accidentally being put on the American waitlist...so I think my deposit was April 2012 or something like that. Anyhow at the time I never imagined my planned family hauler would be the same price as a supercar ie. the new Mclaren 540C. A lease will be more than my mortgage payments monthly. The huge delay never bothered me, until now. We just bought our first electric vehicle a few weeks ago, and really like the kia soul. OUr family would of loved to go all electric....but that is now just a (no) pipe dream.

Could always get this. Probably a better fit and finish but comparable performance.

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 10.32.14 PM.png

How long can we hold onto the reservation without configuring the car?
I tried looking for any deadline or dates and can't find anything mentioned.

I would like to hold out a little bit and hope that Tesla would come to its senses for Canadian pricing.

I would like to hold out a little bit and hope that Tesla would come to its senses for Canadian pricing.

People gets invited to configure couple days after putting down a deposit, I don't see a benefit holding onto the reservation, other than giving Tesla a free loan.

Sounds like you have a regular production model. You could probably delay your purchase indefinitely. Tesla holds onto your $5k. I can't imagine them pressuring you to configure. If they do, you could ask for your deposit back and jump back in at any time. Realistically, in the latter-half of 2016, anyone putting a deposit on a new Model X should be able to get one within a couple of months. I don't think the backlog will take long to get through.