Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are in Gilroy, the Model X is charging there.

IMG_9478.JPG

Last edited:
I don't really get the point of the cover. He's obviously going to have to take it off to drive anyway at which point it will be fully in view. Besides if these are just mules and not the final product as some here believe, why all the secrecy?

Maybe he's testing the cooling setup on the X while supercharging and the black cover is to add additional thermal load?

The workers try their best to make the big boss (Elon)'s words come trough, their biggest problem is:
1 - He have told everybody that the car will not be revield before first custmers get their car.
2 - Their job is to test the car on public roads.
I guess he is realy happy, sending a e-Mail to his co-worker (checked shirt gui).
- I found the solution - "A Cover - hides the car so it will not be revield.
- Answare from inside the car - good ide, but I can't see ****.
- We just use the Autopilot.
- The camera is not seeing anything eather, next idea please.

They didn't drive to these locations just to test a supercharger.. They have a supercharger at the factory!
More likely just lots of road testing on the roads most commonly used by Teslas... In particular autopilot roads... Or else just Tesla employees asked to drive them on any road trips they happen to be going on.

I don't really get the point of the cover. He's obviously going to have to take it off to drive anyway at which point it will be fully in view. Besides if these are just mules and not the final product as some here believe, why all the secrecy?

My guess is that they are doing all they can to hide the interior. I expect that the new features (swiveling second row seats? Electrochromic windows?) would be visible to someone coming up and peering at the car in a way they aren't if the car is in motion.

They didn't drive to these locations just to test a supercharger.. They have a supercharger at the factory!
More likely just lots of road testing on the roads most commonly used by Teslas... In particular autopilot roads... Or else just Tesla employees asked to drive them on any road trips they happen to be going on.

The irony of Tesla having a "home" charger and still charging at a local public charger - daily it seems - is somehow delicious. :)

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that they are doing all they can to hide the interior. I expect that the new features (swiveling second row seats? Electrochromic windows?) would be visible to someone coming up and peering at the car in a way they aren't if the car is in motion.

Agreed. That is probably the reason, even though I assume the mules may have some secret stuff removed altogether still.

Besides if these are just mules and not the final product as some here believe, why all the secrecy?

Probably because <GASP> these are basically the final vehicle form (minus the simple camo we've seen). Even though some people just can't believe Tesla made a car that looks like it does in these shots.

Final X will look like this, you'll see for yourself in late August when the design studio opens up for it.

A plea to any future Model X Mule photographers:

I think we all get what it looks like externally. What I am sure many of us really wanna see is what it looks like inside. If you see one of these Model Xs with MFG Tesla plates charging or parked somewhere, just march up to the driver's window or front passenger window and snap snap snap away. Might wanna turn flash on. Take pictures through the window. Time to turn things up a notch. :)

A question from a non photographer. If the lens is closer to the glass than the distance from the flash to the lens, still true? Any suggestions on how to make it work? We are all dying to see the interior.

Yes sadly same thing will happen, flash will wash out the picture... Especially with a iPhone. Best bet would be to get a low light camera like the 5D mark III or a sony a7s and take shots directly into the car with the lens right up against the glass. Your iPhone might work the same way with it held up to the glass but it's really crappy in low light situations.... Hold it as steady as possible up against the glass :)