Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main purpose of price adjustments is to help make the used inventory more attractive, not to push new sales. Only when used inventory is zero will the new prices reflect demand.
Not sure how they're correlated, but Elon has made it clear that Tesla's mission is to increase production & demand of new vehicles. I don't see how the recent price adjustments (of S/X) are helping with that, but it would be interesting to see sales data overlaid on the price history graphs.

Not sure how they're correlated, but Elon has made it clear that Tesla's mission is to increase production & demand of new vehicles. I don't see how the recent price adjustments (of S/X) are helping with that, but it would be interesting to see sales data overlaid on the price history graphs.

Good question. Wonder if @Troy has ability to plot used inventory vs. new prices to see if there is correlation to indicate wether new sales prices are higher when used inventory is higher and lower when they are mostly balancing order backlog. This might be more prominent when there are new releases coming out and Tesla doesn't want to be left holding the bag with "previous (year, refresh, etc.) models".

Reactions: Tessellation
Me too, the tax credit would be in play at that point.
I currently own MY and previously owned refresh X but traded in because the payment was too high and I got a good price for trade in. IMO, the X would be well worth the premium over Y if the price ever drops to ~$80k, but not so much currently.

My hope is that once Cybertruck sales start, it will be the new $100k+ Tesla and the S/X (non plaid) will fall below it in price. Based on all the pent up demand and Elon’s comments about high cost and high tech features, I think customers waiting for an ‘affordable’ CT are going to be disappointed or else waiting for many years.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I think the MX is a not a money maker… due to warranty issues. Damn thing is not cheap to repair…. I doubt it’ll go lower than $85k for the base.
The all time low was ~$80k (pre refresh). The refresh was supposed to be cheaper to build which makes sense with some shared parts with 3/Y etc. but then inflation happened so who knows?! $85k would be a good price but still slightly too much for tax credit, so it wouldn’t make much sense from demand-lever perspective. Since fsd cost doesn’t count toward tax credit limit, they could theoretically capture more of that margin with higher overall demand. That’s assuming fsd actually works well at some point in the future.

Mine's been in the shop for warranty repair work twice so far this year and it's 2.5 years old. They've probably put close to $5,000 in parts and labor into warranty repairs on my car alone since I took delivery
I think the refresh model might be better quality overall but that’s just a guess based on driving the refresh vs older loaners. It sure feels that way from the drivers seat.

How hard can it be to fix the design or improve durability ratings, jeez.

If the fix(es) require re-tooling any of creating modules or significant modification to the manufacturing process, it's unlikely those "quality improving" updates will be made.

The Model X is a low volume vehicle... so they could easily justify paying $400 higher warranty cost per unit average sold from 22+ instead of spending $20,000,000 on investment necessary to modify the design/manufacture and improve durability or quality.

I think the refresh model might be better quality overall but that’s just a guess based on driving the refresh vs older loaners. It sure feels that way from the drivers seat.
I finally got some seat time in a Refresh Long Range the other day and I have to say overall it doesn't feel a ton different in built quality to me, from an overall fit/finish/squeaks and rattles perspective, the brand new car had just as many little noises and rattles as mine with almost 36,000 miles on it. It's certainly an improvement but I'd call it incremental in terms of quality. And the part numbers that failed this year on my car are the same part numbers on the new car (steering rack and axles...)

It was a 7-seater on 20's and the ride and road noise ought to have had every advantage over my car, and it was the same or maybe even worse (this one was on nearly-new tires, mine are very worn in front).

The overall quality of the interior build is miles better, even if I'm not a fan of the instrument panel/dash/controls it's pretty obviously nicer inside. But the windows still squeaked when using them, and the front and rear doors both still acted weird when in use. Mine has almost 36,000 miles on it and mine shows more range on the dash too...

Now, the step up from an old 75D to a Raven and definitely to the Refresh would be a big step. But from the Raven, you really have to want the increased charging performance and/or the new interior for it to be worthwhile I think. The cooled seats are awesome and almost worth the hassle by themselves...

The #1 thing I was surprised by was how usable the newer, bigger rear screen was in the 6-seater demo. It's just bigger enough and snappier enough to be useful from the 3rd row. Was not expecting that. Also, 4 vents instead of 6 meant better cooling/airflow to the back rows (no more B-pillar vents), not worse. Also a surprise. And the rear trunk arrangement is way more usable, the little cubbies are a nice upgrade.

Reactions: JBT66
Would be brilliant to offer the X LR at $80k to be eligible for subsidies. They would clean the table, but that would require the manufacturing process to be top notch, maybe Mexico.
What I would like to see is a Model X with conventional doors and conventional instruments and stalks. I'd like the space and seating position of a Model X, the air suspension, but without the complexity, cost and reliability penalty of the Falcon wing doors or the power front doors. And maybe without that huge windshield -- that must add to costs and requires those ridiculous visors. (I had a Model X as a loaner for 2 or 3 days one time, and had to wear a baseball cap the entire time because of the overhead glare from the windshield.) To me, the Model Y is not quite large enough, the ride is not comfortable, and the front seats are not comfortable. But I doubt my wishes will be fulfilled by Tesla. Which is why I am looking at cars like the eTron, Genesis, and so on. I would rather stick with Tesla, especially because of the software, and have looked at prices for used Model X cars, but they are still a bit high compared to new cars that are comparable in size (but better in quality and comfort).

What I would like to see is a Model X with conventional doors and conventional instruments and stalks. I'd like the space and seating position of a Model X, the air suspension, but without the complexity, cost and reliability penalty of the Falcon wing doors or the power front doors. And maybe without that huge windshield -- that must add to costs and requires those ridiculous visors. (I had a Model X as a loaner for 2 or 3 days one time, and had to wear a baseball cap the entire time because of the overhead glare from the windshield.) To me, the Model Y is not quite large enough, the ride is not comfortable, and the front seats are not comfortable. But I doubt my wishes will be fulfilled by Tesla. Which is why I am looking at cars like the eTron, Genesis, and so on. I would rather stick with Tesla, especially because of the software, and have looked at prices for used Model X cars, but they are still a bit high compared to new cars that are comparable in size (but better in quality and comfort).

Sounds to me that you want a Mercedes GLS or a Mercedes EQS. Since both come with all the conventional UI, spacious interiors, and air suspensions without the complexity, cost, and reliability penalty of Falcon wing doors. And you won't have to deal with Tesla's terrible service teams at all.

And the Mercedes offerings do not have huge windshields, or ridiculous visors. MB is way more comfortable than a Model Y or Model X, and you can put your baseball cap away. Plus MB is lightyears better for quality and comfort than Tesla. Oh and the Mercedes GLS has real, physical buttons to control the HVAC. Wowowieeeee.

Don't forget a 2023 Mercedes GLS with a ton of options costs way less than the 2023 Ultra Red Model X with white interior.

Source: I hate Tesla now and got a 2023 Mercedes GLS450 with the AMG appearance package ... all while still making payments on a trash 2023 Model X that I think is still in the shop being investigated for electrical gremlins.

Reactions: Maaz
What I would like to see is a Model X with conventional doors and conventional instruments and stalks. I'd like the space and seating position of a Model X, the air suspension, but without the complexity, cost and reliability penalty of the Falcon wing doors or the power front doors. And maybe without that huge windshield -- that must add to costs and requires those ridiculous visors.

Agree. I wear a cap all the time anyways (I see you do too ;) so windshield is not much of an issue, but I'd prefer a roof rack instead of the gull wing doors.

Sounds to me that you want a Mercedes GLS or a Mercedes EQS. Since both come with all the conventional UI, spacious interiors, and air suspensions without the complexity, cost, and reliability penalty of Falcon wing doors. And you won't have to deal with Tesla's terrible service teams at all.

For me meager MB performance is the deal breaker. The germans will probably do a similar performance as Tesla, but they will overprice it. I'd rather have the rattles of a Tesla than the meager performance of a german ;)

Reactions: X Fan
In theory, a 6-8" wheelbase stretch on the Model Y would get this done. Ride? Check - long wheelbase is a great way to improve perceived ride. Range? Check, the extra wheelbase would leave room for ~10kwh more capacity. More space? Check. Doors and windscreen that aren't silly design school funhouse stuff? That's a big check

The Q8 etron seems like a really great option if you don't need a 3rd row.

Last edited:
In theory, a 6-8" wheelbase stretch on the Model Y would get this done. Ride? Check - long wheelbase is a great way to improve perceived ride. Range? Check, the extra wheelbase would leave room for ~10kwh more capacity. More space? Check. Doors and windscreen that aren't silly design school funhouse stuff? That's a big check

This might just match my avatar ;) Count me in! Could also be wide enough to seat 3 child seats side by side on 2nd row.