Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on your experience, do you feel X is as much bang for the buck as an Y or what price point would you recommend to feel that was true?
Currently I don’t think the price difference is worth it, especially factoring in fed/state incentives on the Y. For me, the price difference would have to be closer to $20k to consider trading up.

The automatic doors, huge windshield, performance, and extra space in the X are all really nice, but the X has downsides too. The falcon wing doors have advantages and disadvantages as does the extra screen. I like the simplicity of one smaller screen which can be reached more easily, but the bigger screen looks amazing and does swivel, although an auto swivel feature would be better. The rear seats in the Y are less spacious but easier to recline/fold/slide than in X (7 seat versions). The Y is more refined in some ways but the current price difference is just huge!

Tesla has traditionally had a fire sale at end of every quarter 🤣

Is this like the "black friday" fire sale methodology where the retailer just raises pricing in October and early November... only to drop pricing on "Black Friday" back to August levels? This usually tricks people into thinking they're getting a sweet deal?

Reactions: GoVols!
Right hand drive. Vehicles made for Australia, UK are no longer being made.
Japan, India, Pakistan, south Africa...I mean, I get they probably weren't getting many orders in those countries and/or weren't offering the car at all, but right-hand-drive is not a trivial market overall, and the fact that they have to now cancel near-term orders smells like another round of not-quite-thoroughly planned production shutdown. Maybe they're going to move the line to the new property they're buying/building out in Fremont...or to Texas?

Is this like the "black friday" fire sale methodology where the retailer just raises pricing in October and early November... only to drop pricing on "Black Friday" back to August levels? This usually tricks people into thinking they're getting a sweet deal?
This might be... or throw in another year of free super-charging? Lol.

I'm personally not waiting for a fire sale, but waiting for the price to reflect what the car is really worth. You'd think that if Tesla has a ton of inventory (maybe because of lack of demand but i could be wrong), they would lower the price to sell the car.

Based on all the issues I've read, I don't see the car being worth what they are asking for today. So unless it comes down more, I am not ready to purchase this car. But that's just my opinion....

Reactions: GoVols!

I'm personally not waiting for a fire sale, but waiting for the price to reflect what the car is really worth. You'd think that if Tesla has a ton of inventory (maybe because of lack of demand but i could be wrong), they would lower the price to sell the car.

Based on all the issues I've read, I don't see the car being worth what they are asking for today. So unless it comes down more, I am not ready to purchase this car. But that's just my opinion....
That's what I mean about an extended shutdown. The cars on the lot will instantly gain value if scarcity in the future becomes a real concern, because for some people, it just has to be a Model X no matter what it costs, and those people will set the floor for the car and also probably grab one up earlier than they might otherwise if the car goes out of production.

If that's the plan, I get why prices wouldn't continue to go down, and even might increase. IF that's not the plan, and they just plan to keep making cars, well, we will see prices drop eventually whether tesla wants them to or not. It's already happened in the secondary market

It's hard to say what the Model X is really worth since that's kind of subjective. However, the current pricing seems inline with competitors like the BMW iX M60 and Mercedes EQS SUV. While they have some advantages, I think the X (Plaid) wins on performance, range and software....notwithstanding dumb regressions like parking sensors!

Reactions: maytaurustiger
It's hard to say what the Model X is really worth since that's kind of subjective. However, the current pricing seems inline with competitors like the BMW iX M60 and Mercedes EQS SUV. While they have some advantages, I think the X (Plaid) wins on performance, range and software....notwithstanding dumb regressions like parking sensors!

Guhhhh just got back from a day of test driving iX, X7, EQS-SUV and GLS. Without getting into too much details, the iX and EQS-SUV are not roomy enough inside. They feel more like glorified 5 seat Model Y. Basically the moment my wife saw them, she liked the German interiors but said "no way" to the packaging of these EVs.

Moving to ICE... we checked out a new 2023 X7 xDrive40i 6-seater with the Executive + Driving Assistance + M-Sport package. On the test drive, the tech in the BMW just collapsed. The vehicle couldn't even understand the car sales man's commands to load navigation or perform any function. Then, when we tried to use some assistance features to drive back to the dealership the UI basically froze and lagged out. We couldn't even get the car into Sport mode without some frustration. Yeah.... not happening.

GLS was nice... but she didn't like the ride too much hah.

TBH I have no clue what to do at this point. Tired.

• Informative
Reactions: maytaurustiger
I show 1700+ in inventory and they raise prices by $1000. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, both the LR & Plaid trims got a $1,000 price increase. Here is a chart I keep that shows price history for the X since the refresh. Model X inventory has been running in the 1,150 to 1,250 range for about the last month.

1683937744490.png

Last edited:
Yes, both the LR & Plaid trims got a $1,000 price increase. Here is a chart I keep that shows price history for the X since the refresh. Model X inventory has been running in the 1,150 to 1,250 range for about the last month.

View attachment 937191

Here is a graph for the Model X since 2018 (5 years). Graph shows trims available to order online in US. Trims are combined for simplicity.

Tesla Model X Base Price History (2).png

link to data.