Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X price cuts- yet again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X is wide enough to do that currently with the right seats. I tried it with my Dionos, which run on the narrow side. No center latch point though, which makes it annoying to get everything installed
Yeah just put a diono i had in thae MXP moments ago. I ended up using LATCH plus the tether strap off to one side (?!) Of the headrest. Was tempted to go straight over the top, but not keen on wearing into the seat.... we have a few more months to go still before I can swap it out to a small booster.

I ha
In theory, a 6-8" wheelbase stretch on the Model Y would get this done. Ride? Check - long wheelbase is a great way to improve perceived ride. Range? Check, the extra wheelbase would leave room for ~10kwh more capacity. More space? Check. Doors and windscreen that aren't silly design school funhouse stuff? That's a big check

The Q8 etron seems like a really great option if you don't need a 3rd row.
The eTron is definitely on my list to consider, but probably a used one. I have driven the current eTrons 3 or 4 times and find them to be very well built, nicely equipped, beautiful fit and finish, quiet, great ride, and decent performance for the size/weight. Definitely would be sufficient for my needs. The Q8 is a substantial improvement in range but somewhat costly. My main hesitations are the software (which owners report is not as good as Tesla's and not improving as fast as they'd like) and the inefficiency -- the eTron consumes energy about as fast as any EV out there, perhaps except for the Hummer. Another way to put it is that the eTron is an excellent car but not a great EV. The Model X (and other Tesla models) is a great EV but not a great car. I plan to look at some other brands, like the Genesis and perhaps the Cadillac Lyric (although my younger self would never believe I'd consider a Caddy!).

Reactions: Dayreg
I have a 2019 E-tron. Let me give you my thoughts....

I bought the E-tron because on paper, it is a wide car. I couldn't fit 3 car seats on a MY, so I figured the e-tron would easily do so. The e-tron is like driving on a cloud. It's quiet, comfortable, and feels very well built.

The dimensions in reality has been disappointing. Although it is wider than a MY, I can't fit 3 car seats across. The reason is because of the center points of the LATCH. The car is wide, but the LATCH is not placed properly, therefor there is a wide gap between the car seat & window. The middle seat is not usable when flanked by 2 car seats.

The legroom also sucks. On paper, it's supposed to have a ton of legroom in the back.... but this is not the case. The center console also takes up a ton of space for the middle seat.

The range also sucks.... if you are drive less than 100 miles a day, it'll work for you. But don't bother with road trips, especially during the winter time. And CCS sucks.

I have an XC90, and it easily fits 3 car seats across on the second row. Perhaps look at that or the EX90?

The eTron is definitely on my list to consider, but probably a used one. I have driven the current eTrons 3 or 4 times and find them to be very well built, nicely equipped, beautiful fit and finish, quiet, great ride, and decent performance for the size/weight. Definitely would be sufficient for my needs. The Q8 is a substantial improvement in range but somewhat costly. My main hesitations are the software (which owners report is not as good as Tesla's and not improving as fast as they'd like) and the inefficiency -- the eTron consumes energy about as fast as any EV out there, perhaps except for the Hummer. Another way to put it is that the eTron is an excellent car but not a great EV. The Model X (and other Tesla models) is a great EV but not a great car. I plan to look at some other brands, like the Genesis and perhaps the Cadillac Lyric (although my younger self would never believe I'd consider a Caddy!).
Yes, Audi built a car, then built the tech around it. The tech sucks... the app works 60% of the time and takes forever to load. But the car is a dream to drive, minus the issues on my post above.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
The Q8 is going to be a step forward but it's still the same basic body and interior, similar to the first round of S refreshes - I'll need to drive one once they're hanging around on lots here next year. A used eTron is an excellent value right now

The reason the Q8 is interesting to me is because, like Model X, it probably has about 250 miles of real-world high-speed highway range and a big battery, and also like Model X, has plenty of dog space behind the 2nd row but doesn't have an unnecessary extra 2-3" of ground clearance and at least the earlier car drives relatively carlike. Dynamics around a corner are near the top of my list and why I'm not a big fan of the Rivian even though on paper it ought to be great for my needs. I guess we'll see if VWAG jumps on the NACS bandwagon

The EQS and EQE SUV's ought to have a similar advantage, but they drive like the softest, squishiest benz you can think of and they're not doing an AMG version of the EQS SUV for our market as of now

I suppose the best non-Tesla 5-seat option for me would be the iX but I'm mad at BMW for reasons that aren't particularly logical

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
With all the X quality issues and warranty costs, I’d kill the model and offer a larger MY Plaid with vented seats, dual screens, etc., minus the gull wing doors. I just don’t know how he keeps the X profitably alive.
I don’t think the doors are the unreliability problem honestly. The running gear is underbuilt for the forces such a heavy and powerful vehicle can put it through

I think when you said trash, you meant your MX due to what happened to yours and similar to @rpo, correct?

For the avoidance of doubt, when I say trash I mean:

1) The trash 2023 Ultra Red they delivered me that was dirty, had literal trash inside, prone to shutting down, and had a significant defect to the rear hatch
2) The trash experience I received at Dublin, CA (initial service advisor = ok; subsequent interactions = trash)
3) The trash mentality that Tesla keeps doubling down saying stalling (failing to operate further while on a roadway) is totally acceptable and normal. Since it is a risk Tesla buyers accept when they pay money for Tesla products

But I have also extended Trash to possibly include @rpo's car. But I'll let him declare whether or not he thinks his inoperable MX is "trash"

For the avoidance of doubt, when I say trash I mean:

1) The trash 2023 Ultra Red they delivered me that was dirty, had literal trash inside, prone to shutting down, and had a significant defect to the rear hatch
2) The trash experience I received at Dublin, CA (initial service advisor = ok; subsequent interactions = trash)
3) The trash mentality that Tesla keeps doubling down saying stalling (failing to operate further while on a roadway) is totally acceptable and normal. Since it is a risk Tesla buyers accept when they pay money for Tesla products

But I have also extended Trash to possibly include @rpo's car. But I'll let him declare whether or not he thinks his inoperable MX is "trash"

I concur wholeheartedly.

When the FWD got stuck and Tesla roadside instructed me to apply pressure to the door as it will manually close that way, the struts snapped and the door free fell onto the side of the car. That's trash considering how little pressure was applied. My first thought was "A strong gust of wind outside could snap the door the same way."

When I picked up my car from service one of the many times it was there, it went from being spotless inside (had cleaned it JUST before it went to service) to having no less than 100 leaves inside the whole interior (simply how), grease and dirt stains on both of the front seats (white), dirt smudged all over the screen and steering wheel and armrests, etc, I called service to report that to them and was told "We don't clean the car for you." All of that happened while it was in service and they literally could not bring themselves to apologize. That's trash.

When the car began flashing errors about the safety systems being disabled months ago, I called Tesla who "pulled the logs" and they assured me the car was safe to drive. Then I accessed the service screen a week ago and saw that multiple airbags (driver's and driver's side passenger's) had electrical errors that said they may not function. When I called Tesla again, they said the car was actually not sending data to them at all and had not been for months, so I emailed them pics of the errors, and they immediately ordered me not to drive the car again and said it was not AND HAD NOT been safe to drive, and that they had given me bad advice months ago. Putting me and my family in danger because Tesla built a trash car and is incapable of buying back the car in less than 5 months and ending this fiasco is trash.

When the service center provided me a rental car and then refused to pay for it which left me with the bill when the rental car was returned, that's trash. When I then went to pick up my X from service and found it was still broken down, that's trash.

When Tesla corporate told me the buyback process has not moved whatsoever in 5 months because "they do not handle buybacks" and that the service center is responsible for the entire process, but then the service center tells me "We have no authorization to ever buy back a car and have nothing to do with the buyback process and corporate is lying to you still", that's utter trash. Tesla corporate seems like they could not care less that their own service center is calling them liars. I have even asked Tesla corporate to pick up the phone and call their service center so they can both get on the same page, and they outright refused because they are "not allowed to contact the service center". The service center also won't reach out to corporate to try to fix this, and this is the service center that told me to lemon the car and that they "did not want to ever see it again" because they deemed it "a lost cause".

Literally nobody at Tesla has taken responsibility to help a customer who has purchased half a million in cars from Tesla over the past 10 years and owns a ton of TSLA stock. I definitely do not deserve special treatment because of that as NONE of their customers should ever be treated like trash the way I have been.

And that is only a tiny portion of the trash service I have received over the 7 months I've owned the X.

I'll put it this way - the doors haven't failed on my car but the things that make it go, stop and turn have on several occasions, and it seems every single Model X has the same issues with suspension and axles at some point in its life whereas wholesale FWD failures are a little rarer, so I think in most cases the unreliability is comign from critical components, as opposed to stupidly-designed-on-purpose-for-clicks components

Reactions: CleanDemon and rpo
When Tesla corporate told me the buyback process has not moved whatsoever in 5 months because "they do not handle buybacks" and that the service center is responsible for the entire process, but then the service center tells me "We have no authorization to ever buy back a car and have nothing to do with the buyback process and corporate is lying to you still", that's utter trash. Tesla corporate seems like they could not care less that their own service center is calling them liars. I have even asked Tesla corporate to pick up the phone and call their service center so they can both get on the same page, and they outright refused because they are "not allowed to contact the service center". The service center also won't reach out to corporate to try to fix this, and this is the service center that told me to lemon the car and that they "did not want to ever see it again" because they deemed it "a lost cause".
^I believe @holeydonut just posted today that his buyback has completed and the check cleared. Maybe you could try to connect with him to see how you can also get your buyback resolved.

Reactions: rpo
Yep, we've
^I believe @holeydonut just posted today that his buyback has completed and the check cleared. Maybe you could try to connect with him to see how you can also get your buyback resolved.
Yep, we've actually been communicating for a month privately. I have some contacts at Tesla that he used but I have not made any progress still. Thanks for the advice!

Lol I wish I could take credit for this buyback. I wanted a collateral exchange and got shut dowwwwnnnnn hard.

My wife on the other hand is much more aggressive than me and got the buyback done.

• Funny
Reactions: maytaurustiger
I concur wholeheartedly.

When the FWD got stuck and Tesla roadside instructed me to apply pressure to the door as it will manually close that way, the struts snapped and the door free fell onto the side of the car. That's trash considering how little pressure was applied. My first thought was "A strong gust of wind outside could snap the door the same way."

When I picked up my car from service one of the many times it was there, it went from being spotless inside (had cleaned it JUST before it went to service) to having no less than 100 leaves inside the whole interior (simply how), grease and dirt stains on both of the front seats (white), dirt smudged all over the screen and steering wheel and armrests, etc, I called service to report that to them and was told "We don't clean the car for you." All of that happened while it was in service and they literally could not bring themselves to apologize. That's trash.

When the car began flashing errors about the safety systems being disabled months ago, I called Tesla who "pulled the logs" and they assured me the car was safe to drive. Then I accessed the service screen a week ago and saw that multiple airbags (driver's and driver's side passenger's) had electrical errors that said they may not function. When I called Tesla again, they said the car was actually not sending data to them at all and had not been for months, so I emailed them pics of the errors, and they immediately ordered me not to drive the car again and said it was not AND HAD NOT been safe to drive, and that they had given me bad advice months ago. Putting me and my family in danger because Tesla built a trash car and is incapable of buying back the car in less than 5 months and ending this fiasco is trash.

When the service center provided me a rental car and then refused to pay for it which left me with the bill when the rental car was returned, that's trash. When I then went to pick up my X from service and found it was still broken down, that's trash.

Literally nobody at Tesla has taken responsibility to help a customer who has purchased half a million in cars from Tesla over the past 10 years and owns a ton of TSLA stock. I definitely do not deserve special treatment because of that as NONE of their customers should ever be treated like trash the way I have been.

And that is only a tiny portion of the trash service I have received over the 7 months I've owned the X.

For the record, @rpo 's experience of how trash Tesla can be is much more trash-filled than my family's experience. His Model X is a landfill of garbage compared to what we experienced with Dublin Tesla. And he's spent way more already on TSLA products than our household ever would have.

But his attitude about it is much less rage-induced and he's more grounded. He's a better person than me, that's for sure.

For anyone who thinks "but my own Tesla is great blah blah" ... consider yourself lucky. If you ever have next-level issues with your car, Tesla isn't the company that is going to get you back on track. And it's not worth spending tens of thousands of dollars to go through this level of trash.

Last edited: