Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spent a better part of an hour going through this thread. Awesome trips! I especially liked the Airstreams being towed by a MX.

Family and I have done several road trips on our MS. NY - Key West being the longest we've done to date. We're excited to road trip in our newly acquired MX100D with free unlimited supercharging. We're planning an NY - West Coast trip this summer, with a planned visit to Fremont factory.

For those that's done the Fremont Factory tour, does Tesla still offer that? Do we have to book in advance? Thanks, and i'm hoping to post/document our big coast to coast trip this summer.

Reactions: Bacalao
Did a 3800km, 8 day, road trip with my son last month. Perth, Western Australia to Karratha in the Pilbara region. Stopped at a mates place in Carnarvon for a couple of days of 50BMG fun at his station ellavalla.com.au

D7P0RBXUEAImPv7.jpg

Starts with pics at my Twitter here: Jays on Twitter

Reactions: JimVandegriff
We are doing a road trip for thr 4th of July up to Big Sur for camping and then up to San Francisco in our 2019 MX100! Can anyone make recommendations for iPad mounts for the kids? I've scoured the internet and haven't really found much. I'm surprised there isn't anything specifically designed for the MX head rests. I'll be sure to post pictures and details of our trip.

Just completed our first roadtrip in the X, really great experience and the supercharger network is unreal. However, during charging on the way home, we had a 'fellow tesla owner' (as they introduced themselves) come up to my family and tell me that my kids should not be in the car while charging with a supercharger as the EMF rays are harming their young brain development......so that was, nice?

Just finished Maine to Toronto to Rochester and back, about 1750 miles, in the 2016 Model X with version 9.19.20.2.1. Often stopped at a closer SC than Nav recommended instead of waiting for more charge past the taper point of 60%. Jealous of the newer cars with their higher power charging—my 90 maxes out at 92-94%. Still have hope the media bluetooth experience will improve and Nav gets waypoints but otherwise easy and fun and comfortable to drive.
Not our first trip in this car. ME to TX, Newfoundland, Montreal, and Quebec city. AP1 has improved. Maps are better. Media is still not great. So many more Teslas on the road!

Reactions: rocketdallas
We are doing a road trip for thr 4th of July up to Big Sur for camping and then up to San Francisco in our 2019 MX100! Can anyone make recommendations for iPad mounts for the kids? I've scoured the internet and haven't really found much. I'm surprised there isn't anything specifically designed for the MX head rests. I'll be sure to post pictures and details of our trip.

I bought these and they work great in the X

Backseat Organizer with Tablet... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GJXWFC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Just finished a trip from Columbus ohio to Toronto canada with a brand new 2019 mX performance w/ludi option. It was a blast! Love this car. The trip was a little longer than what we expected due to the charging stops but we like it. It gives us time to rest up :) Autopilot was AMAZING!

Left Disney/Orlando for Indianapolis. Had been driving for about 12 hours and found ourselves in Cookeville, TN. “WTH, it is only 300 more miles, less just keep going!” Kind of a late arrival, but made it fine. A couple of old retired folks, never in our wildest imagination would we have planned it that way.

• Love
Reactions: MarkoC and jboy210
I had a disappointing weekend driving experience this last weekend that is making me rethink how a MX 100D is going to work in my life. Drove from the San Francisco Bay Area to Fresno in central California with my girlfriend and her beagle, and then up into the California foothills above Fresno to visit my sister. Started with a 95% charge when we took off and 2 and a half hours later, we stopped at the Fresno supercharger to top off the car to 90% for drving in the mountains... and we picked up some sandwiches for lunch at the mall there. Got there with 70%, spent the weekend with family, drove a little to church, then decided to drive to my home down of Visalia to visit family. The weather was 102-105 degrees, we were running from 280 wh to 360 wh for the trip.

My sister does not have solar and pays for her own electricity so we did not charge at her house with the 120 volt connections.

Started down the mountain with the battery at 60% (phantom drain) and arrived at the Fresno supercharger about 3pm with the car at 49% and... There was a line of 4 cars waiting to get into the 10 slot supercharger. There were more cars backing up behind me. Called my cousin who has a model 3 and he said we could use their dedicated 40 amp wall charger and so off we went, south, about a 50 minute drive. Arrived in Visalia with about 29% charge, plugged in, visited and went out to dinner.

During dinner I got a notification on my phone that charging stopped and I figured, "oh dear, I blew their fuses with my car). It was still 102 outside. Drove to my cousin's house (in their model 3) and found out that indeed, the charging had stopped.. and the neighborhood was without power. Another California brownout. I don't think it was my fault. We were up to 40% and needed to get back to the SF Bay Area that night. There was no other option except to head to Colinga (out of our way) or Harris Ranch (a little out of our way) or back to Fresno. There were no supercharger slots available there according to the Tesla app and the car. So we decided to take a chance and just wait in Fresno for a slot to open.

Fortunately by the time we got back to Fresno, there were 3 slots open so we charged at a rate of about 36-50 kwh... but still took an hour to get up to 85%. We got back to the Bay Area at midnight at 20% charge and I left the car to charge overnight at my house.

We got back really late, took a long time to charge this weekend, I have a pissed off girlfriend and a tired beagle (he has his own bed in the back with the seats down and a dog harness and restraint system in the car to protect him if there is a sudden slowdown or stop). There are limited supercharging options down highway 99 and none in Visalia.. .but there are level 2 chargers there, and we figured out that we could use that if we were stuck. Still, the fear of range anxiety has sort of put me off the long distance trips with the Tesla. Perhaps I need to do more careful planning and set up options if there are unexpected difficulties....

@mbp11 - not what I want to be reading as we prepare for our coast to coast (NY-CA) trip this weekend. Planning to leave NY this Friday evening and our first main stop is Moab, UT where we will stay for a couple of days before heading out to Fremont for the Factory tour. We'll only be in the area for a couple of days before heading back east.

I've been planning routes on both EV trip planner and A Better Route Planner and there seems to be several charging options. The last time we did a cross-country trip was in 2007 and with a gas car so it's been quite a while. The farthest we've done a Tesla road trip was from NY to Key West FL on our MS60D.

Not sure if there's an active Tesla group in and around the Fremont factory but please let me know if there are any get-together's that we can attend.

Also, I'm hoping Tesla can finally activate my FUSC on our existing inventory, June delivery, MX100D which we will be driving. It's been almost two months and they can't seem to figure out why I'm getting charged.

I had a similar experience in that visalia Tesla supercharger hole. I decided to stay in Visalia for a trip to Sequoia. However, I had planned for the lack of a nearby supercharger and just charged overnight at the comfort suites parking lot on the second floor. They have both level 2 and CHAdeMO.
It made me contemplate getting a CHAdeMO adapter for these situations but I figured by the time I go on a real road trip, the supercharger maybe better built out (it's pretty good for most cases now for my needs).
Likewise, take a look to see if there are destination charger nearby. I ended up getting 50 miles or so after having dinner at the gateway lodge outside Sequoia gates. I know when I looked in Visalia, the Holiday inn Express had a couple.
In either case, sounds like you overall made it work (ie. Didn't get stranded) but I think there's certain geographical locations still outside of the supercharger network that makes it hard to adjust to the range anxiety. This being a prime example of one...

I had a disappointing weekend driving experience this last weekend that is making me rethink how a MX 100D is going to work in my life. Drove from the San Francisco Bay Area to Fresno in central California with my girlfriend and her beagle, and then up into the California foothills above Fresno to visit my sister. Started with a 95% charge when we took off and 2 and a half hours later, we stopped at the Fresno supercharger to top off the car to 90% for drving in the mountains... and we picked up some sandwiches for lunch at the mall there. Got there with 70%, spent the weekend with family, drove a little to church, then decided to drive to my home down of Visalia to visit family. The weather was 102-105 degrees, we were running from 280 wh to 360 wh for the trip.

My sister does not have solar and pays for her own electricity so we did not charge at her house with the 120 volt connections.

Started down the mountain with the battery at 60% (phantom drain) and arrived at the Fresno supercharger about 3pm with the car at 49% and... There was a line of 4 cars waiting to get into the 10 slot supercharger. There were more cars backing up behind me. Called my cousin who has a model 3 and he said we could use their dedicated 40 amp wall charger and so off we went, south, about a 50 minute drive. Arrived in Visalia with about 29% charge, plugged in, visited and went out to dinner.

During dinner I got a notification on my phone that charging stopped and I figured, "oh dear, I blew their fuses with my car). It was still 102 outside. Drove to my cousin's house (in their model 3) and found out that indeed, the charging had stopped.. and the neighborhood was without power. Another California brownout. I don't think it was my fault. We were up to 40% and needed to get back to the SF Bay Area that night. There was no other option except to head to Colinga (out of our way) or Harris Ranch (a little out of our way) or back to Fresno. There were no supercharger slots available there according to the Tesla app and the car. So we decided to take a chance and just wait in Fresno for a slot to open.

Fortunately by the time we got back to Fresno, there were 3 slots open so we charged at a rate of about 36-50 kwh... but still took an hour to get up to 85%. We got back to the Bay Area at midnight at 20% charge and I left the car to charge overnight at my house.

We got back really late, took a long time to charge this weekend, I have a pissed off girlfriend and a tired beagle (he has his own bed in the back with the seats down and a dog harness and restraint system in the car to protect him if there is a sudden slowdown or stop). There are limited supercharging options down highway 99 and none in Visalia.. .but there are level 2 chargers there, and we figured out that we could use that if we were stuck. Still, the fear of range anxiety has sort of put me off the long distance trips with the Tesla. Perhaps I need to do more careful planning and set up options if there are unexpected difficulties....

@gigawatt1010 good luck! i am heading to Florida from Colorado on saturday. should be fun. its hard not to want to go faster when you are conserving energy. (especially crossing kansas)

Thanks @ZEPHYRHATS! We’re excited. You nailed it with your comment of “hard not to go faster when conserving energy”. I have a MS 60D with a measly 200 mile range (give or take) and we’ve driven it up and down the east coast, including all the way to Key West and I’ve been in those situations where I had to stay under 60mph to make it to the next SC - not fun!

Good luck on your Road Trip, be safe!

I had a similar experience in that visalia Tesla supercharger hole. I decided to stay in Visalia for a trip to Sequoia. However, I had planned for the lack of a nearby supercharger and just charged overnight at the comfort suites parking lot on the second floor. They have both level 2 and CHAdeMO.
It made me contemplate getting a CHAdeMO adapter for these situations but I figured by the time I go on a real road trip, the supercharger maybe better built out (it's pretty good for most cases now for my needs).
Likewise, take a look to see if there are destination charger nearby. I ended up getting 50 miles or so after having dinner at the gateway lodge outside Sequoia gates. I know when I looked in Visalia, the Holiday inn Express had a couple.
In either case, sounds like you overall made it work (ie. Didn't get stranded) but I think there's certain geographical locations still outside of the supercharger network that makes it hard to adjust to the range anxiety. This being a prime example of one...

Thanks for your note. Yes, we had mapped out the chargers in Visalia and I know about the hotel destination charger in Three Rivers and the Gateway Hotel, but those charge more slowly and would have lengthened our stay there. I use some charging station apps, EVgo, and ChargePoint and evHotels (I have a EVgo account and in the SF Bay Area, SemaConnect) to find alternatives.

I have no experience wiht CHAdeMO, does this charger type charge at a faster rate than the other level two chargers? I know their adaptors are about the size of drainpipe and cost about $500.

How did you like Sequoia National Park in an EV? My sister and I have a cabin in Sequoia in Mineral King (a right hand turn off 198 before the part and up the south side of the mountain) but the road is a part dirt, part paved 1 and a half lane road, that takes 2 hours to drive the 25 miles up. It is too rough and too many obstacles for my MX. ICE car for that road, but is peaceful and far away from the noise of civilization.

Mike P

Sequoia was great. It was my first road trip in the MX. Going up the hill drained literally at a rate of 700kwh/mi but it made the energy back going downhill and I averaged roughly 340kwh/mi for my trip from east LA county. Drive was smooth and AP worked great for a majority of the way (even thru three rivers). It got a little once past the park gates though as the road was narrow and quite curvy.
However, the single greatest thing was enjoying the landscape and immense size of the trees thru the panoramic windshield. It was just incredible....too bad my 2yo daughter demanded that mom sit in the back with her so my wife wasn't able to enjoy the views as much as I did...

CHAdeMO is one USA universal standard for fast charging. It charges at a rate of 50kw so roughly 125-150miles/hr. Much faster than level 2 which is roughly 7kw levels...however the adapter for Tesla is quite pricey.

Thanks for your note. Yes, we had mapped out the chargers in Visalia and I know about the hotel destination charger in Three Rivers and the Gateway Hotel, but those charge more slowly and would have lengthened our stay there. I use some charging station apps, EVgo, and ChargePoint and evHotels (I have a EVgo account and in the SF Bay Area, SemaConnect) to find alternatives.

I have no experience wiht CHAdeMO, does this charger type charge at a faster rate than the other level two chargers? I know their adaptors are about the size of drainpipe and cost about $500.

How did you like Sequoia National Park in an EV? My sister and I have a cabin in Sequoia in Mineral King (a right hand turn off 198 before the part and up the south side of the mountain) but the road is a part dirt, part paved 1 and a half lane road, that takes 2 hours to drive the 25 miles up. It is too rough and too many obstacles for my MX. ICE car for that road, but is peaceful and far away from the noise of civilization.

Mike P

My wife and I doing a road trip from Colorado to Glacier National Park. We charged up at the Missoula MT Supercharger. We then charged up at the Red Lion Inn in Kalispell MT. They have a 220V 72A tesla destination charger. We spent 2 nights at the Lake McDonald Lodge. There is a 220V 40A tesla destination charger right across from the General store. We charged to 96% since we next spent 2 nights at Many Glacier lodge. There is no cell service, very very slow internet, and no charging. We saw a 120V outlet on the riding stable booth and I asked if we could charge and the lady said no. We had a chat with the hotel General Manager who said that Tesla came by a couple years ago and offered to put in a destination charger but nothing ever came out of it. We used 30% battery to get from Lake McDonald to Many Glacier so we still had 66% battery. Our next stop was Fort MacLeod Alberta. We only used 32% to get there so had a easy cushion of 30%. Once we crossed the border we thought we would try to see if there was a setting to display speed in kilometer per hour. We pushed a few buttons but could not see a setting. We then pressed the button to display the user's manual. At that point the entire screen went black. Yikes... How are you supposed to find a supercharger locations if the screen is not working? While driving, I pressed reboot. After rebooting 4-5 times (and many anxious minutes later) the screen finally came back. We will avoid pressing too many buttons until we get home.
IMG_0828.jpg