Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trailer hitch/wiring installed today on my Jeep (decided not to torture the Prius this way) ... getting ready to take off for a long weekend with friends at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. I'm happy to report that both setup and takedown can be done by one person in under 10 minutes. It's super easy.

I'll take pics this weekend of the fully opened rig. But so far, I'm impressed with it. (Pic is in my driveway as I practiced backing it into different spots :) )

View attachment 19038

How did it go? Did the Go meet expectations?

LOVE it. Set up/take down in under 10 minutes (alone). Every detail is well thought out. Things like leveling, hooks, step ... as someone along on the trip said, 'This is made by someone who uses it a lot, no detail missed.' Heading out again at end of next week ... it's definitely a great addition. I bought a couple of weather proof chests and have all the gear for camping stowed in there. I just have to throw them in, add the ice chest and some firewood, and we're on the road.

Super easy to hook up (only 70lbs tongue weight), and I really couldn't feel it behind the Jeep.

- - - Updated - - -

I should mention that a big rainstorm hit at one point - really nice to be sleeping and remember that there is a solid roof on the top. Also, the canopy extension proved to be invaluable in the rain. We set up cooking gear under the canopy, hung out inside around the table playing cards. It didn't feel crowded with four adults hanging out. Much more spacious than I would have guessed.

LOVE it. Set up/take down in under 10 minutes (alone). Every detail is well thought out. Things like leveling, hooks, step ... as someone along on the trip said, 'This is made by someone who uses it a lot, no detail missed.' Heading out again at end of next week ... it's definitely a great addition. I bought a couple of weather proof chests and have all the gear for camping stowed in there. I just have to throw them in, add the ice chest and some firewood, and we're on the road.

Super easy to hook up (only 70lbs tongue weight), and I really couldn't feel it behind the Jeep.

- - - Updated - - -

I should mention that a big rainstorm hit at one point - really nice to be sleeping and remember that there is a solid roof on the top. Also, the canopy extension proved to be invaluable in the rain. We set up cooking gear under the canopy, hung out inside around the table playing cards. It didn't feel crowded with four adults hanging out. Much more spacious than I would have guessed.

That sounds great and it should tow behind the Model X just fine. I'm hoping that Model X has real towing chops so that we can use it move our trailer around town. For longer trips I'll probably still need the 3/4 ton Suburban but it would be good to know that Model X could get it to and from the storage unit.

http://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/eddie-bauer/specifications/ We've got the 25" version.

I've got the 20' version of the A/S and i'm hoping there will be a version of the X that can do more than that! About half of our travels are to beach locations that have charging, so as long as i'm comfortable going one way and can charge at 30/50amps for a few days to get home - i'm sold. First someone needs to confirm that it will tow - and give us tongue weight + tow weight!

I would be interested in those numbers also. The strength of the frame for towing is just important (probably more so) as the torques/horsepower. The stronger the frame, the more weight, and less
miles on the battery pack......

Ditto. I need to be able to pull a horse trailer (HP pulling HP, chuckle) and I'd rather not have another ICE just for that.
Ditto on the horse trailer. So, while I want to be completely EV, until I can pull a 2-4 horse trailer with all the gear needed I will be stuck with at last one ICE vehicle in the family. I suspect 2020 probably for the EV truck capable of that job and some range.

Just finished reading this entire thread and I do think that the 'innovative' solution to the roof rack issue came up in Bonnie's reply a couple pages back:

The X will have doors that hinge both ways. You will be able to use the 'control panel' to tell the doors to open either as 'falcon doors' or slide like a van. The vehicle will also be able to sense a roof rack that is easily removed or if a more permanent roof rack, a certain weight on it, and automatically only allow the sliding door function. It will have a tow hitch capable of pulling a small camper/utility trailer but not something as big as a horse trailer (gonna have to keep an ICE for that :eek:).

Make it so TM! Thanks

Not quite what I said, but close enough. Well, except for the sliding doors. No to the sliding doors! I think I was talking about hinged to open either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I said:

Oh gosh, multiple solutions ... doors that hinge from the top AND the side (see pics of station wagon rear doors in this thread), doors that don't articulate in the middle when a rack is on the car and only open straight up until even with the X roof, a half rack that goes on one side of the X & that door becomes inoperable, a rack that raises as the doors raise .... the question isn't CAN they do it, it's how will they do it.

I just got back from a few weeks in snowy Colorado. And I have to say that all the concern about falcon wing doors and snow were on the top of my mind ... like when I opened the driver's door before brushing off the roof & snow fell in and got my seat wet, and when I didn't adequately brush off the hood & while driving it all blew up on the windshield, and oh yeah, didn't fully brush off the roof and when I stopped at a light later, a massive amount slid forward over the windshield. Hope Tesla addresses all those issues!! :)

Strangely enough, when I opened the hatchback door to load the Jeep in the morning, NO snow fell in. It opened just fine even with snow on the roof. And I was dry underneath while snow was falling from above. Go figure. (Yes, I KNOW that when the wind is blowing, it's a different story. It's a different story for side doors, too.)

I just got back from a few weeks in snowy Colorado. And I have to say that all the concern about falcon wing doors and snow were on the top of my mind ... like when I opened the driver's door before brushing off the roof & snow fell in and got my seat wet, and when I didn't adequately brush off the hood & while driving it all blew up on the windshield, and oh yeah, didn't fully brush off the roof and when I stopped at a light later, a massive amount slid forward over the windshield. Hope Tesla addresses all those issues!! :)

Strangely enough, when I opened the hatchback door to load the Jeep in the morning, NO snow fell in. It opened just fine even with snow on the roof. And I was dry underneath while snow was falling from above. Go figure. (Yes, I KNOW that when the wind is blowing, it's a different story. It's a different story for side doors, too.)

The difference is the amount of new roof area the Falcon wing doors expose to the weather elements like snow and rain. Opening a side door is one thing, exposing the middle of the car when the Falcon wings open with blowing snow and rain is what people seem to be concerned about. Like many other things it is a trade off. I'm in favor of the Falcon wing doors but understand there will be situations that warrant concern and will pose real problems for some owners.

The difference is the amount of new roof area the Falcon wing doors expose to the weather elements like snow and rain. Opening a side door is one thing, exposing the middle of the car when the Falcon wings open with blowing snow and rain is what people seem to be concerned about. Like many other things it is a trade off. I'm in favor of the Falcon wing doors but understand there will be situations that warrant concern and will pose real problems for some owners.

Right, I understand. I grew up in Minnesota and spent 20+ years in Colorado. I am not unfamiliar with the concept of snow on a car. When there is blowing snow, I don't care what kind of door you have. Snow WILL get in the car. That's the point. And if you don't brush snow off the roof of the car, you're going to have problems regardless of the types of doors you have. It falls in, it slides down on the windshield. Etc.

My opinion - the concern is over blown. There will always be a situation that makes some kind of door 'not okay'. But we've lived with hatch backs (look at the back of the Jeep and the Model S and tell me it's diff than a falcon wing in concept) without complaint. It's not a new design. It's only in a different place. The wind won't hit it differently, the snow won't land differently. And it kept me drier than those darn side doors did. And no, the wind wasn't blowing. It usually isn't, except during a blizzard. And during a blizzard, nothing is convenient. Park your car wrong and side doors will be blown right off. One side of the car will be covered in ice (or all of it, if you weren't thinking). I could go on, but you get my point.

So yes, I do understand there will be situations that cause some people concern. But do these doors pose *real problems* for some owners in the snow? I don't know that I'd go that far. No wait, I do know. I won't go that far. :)

I think a large part of the concern is people are still working up to accepting a different kind of door. It's similar to range anxiety. Until you've lived with an EV and understand the whole charging dynamic, it's hard to wrap your head around a different concept. You have to live with it before you understand it's no big deal.

Ymmv.

The question in my mind is how fast can you open/close the falcon wing doors? With "standard" manual doors, if there is blowing snow you can make a point of getting in fast. With the falcon wing doors, they're powered - you don't have any control over speed.