Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's face it the doors are there for a specific target audience. Those who want to not drive a minivan but want to get into the vehicle with the same ease. Standard doors just aren't going to match that goal. Contrary to belief this is not an SUV. this is a crossover. While I agree with the sentiment of wanting to stick stuff on the roof, one could make that claim with anything... people commonly use their Subaru's for just such a purpose and those are "normal" cars/station wagons.

If vehicles could be one size fits all then we would all drive the same thing. They are trying to accomodate as wide of an audience as possible with the X, while adding their own flavor to it. I find the doors to be a fantastic solution to where it will likely be used the most, kid transport vehicle (henceforth dubbed KTV). One, you want people to be able to get in and out of the car easily (or have someone be able to easily get in to strap down a young child). The higher clearance will help with this. Two, you want less exposure of your doors to be smacked into other cars/walls after you park and the kids get out with no regard for such things.

If the car is able to be a fit for you to use it for other purposes then this is great, but there is no denying the doors were designed with Mr. Musk's kids in mind.

That being said, I would love to see an elegant rack solution (there are many reasons for decent rooftop storage), and I would also love a trailer hitch solution. I fully expect them to target both of these with the vehicle. If however this car does not meet your needs, I would not fret it too much, I am sure at some point in the future they will build a larger platform for a truck/SUV type option. You will just have to wait a few more years to get there.

The Model X falcon-wing doors have two independent articulating hinges. I suspect that with a roof-rack in place (or in snowy/rainy conditions) they will simply be openable gull-wing style, using one hinge instead of two. I look forward to this being demonstrated at the public reveal of full options/pricing, hopefully soon!

Elon has said he likes to have a "signature" design element in Tesla's cars like the retractable handles in the Model S. I guess the falcon-wing doors is the Model X's signature design element. That said, I wish video side mirrors were legal and that was the signature element instead. I would prefer mini van doors as long as the vehicle had greater ground clearance than a mini van. Although, I am more than likely in the minority wanting a low key 70k+ vehicle. Most I guess want something a little more flashy for their money.

Last edited:
That being said, I would love to see an elegant rack solution (there are many reasons for decent rooftop storage), and I would also love a trailer hitch solution.

I can't imagine there won't be solutions: Model S has roof racks and you can get trailer hitches. Why won't that happen with X?

Trailer 002 sm.jpg

I can't imagine there won't be solutions: Model S has roof racks and you can get trailer hitches. Why won't that happen with X?

View attachment 41248
Those hitches are "unofficial" and I think it voids the warranty on some level (like if the back of the car rips off type thing). What I was referring to was official support from Tesla on installing a hitch. And the roof rack, while according to them will happen, there is concern over what you will be able to DO with the rack.

This likely had been mentioned before but how about shifting the roof rack over to one side to open one door? One of the doors would be disabled though so not ideal.

Yes this has been mentioned by several people. Here is a suggestion I tossed out awhile back.
This could be partially addressed by a narrower roof rack (ex Yakima Rocketbox) that takes up only half the roof. (92 x 24 x 16). When installed the X would be sense the rack is latched and only allow one of the Falcon wings to raise. Wouldn't work for everyone but does provide a reasonable option for many and would be pretty cool. I'm sure with some ingenuity Tesla could work with Yakima or Thule to design a roof rack to lock into a hidden roof latch that wouldn't require supports across the whole roof. Same approach could certainly be done for a bike rack and kayak rack.
View attachment 22820

View attachment 41248

We can’t wait to get our hands on the X to fabricate an EcoHitch for it. Tesla dealers have been suggesting the EcoHitch to Model S owners who would like to use bike racks and small cargo trays. In regards to voiding your warranty, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act installing our hitch or anyone else’s for use with a rack application should not void your warranty, as long you operate within the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer.

That (sliding rack) would work for a price wouldn't it? A highly engineered integrated rack solution - sliding over when stationary, and you would have a typical Tesla benefit - not only solving a problem, but making it better than established ways as it can be sold as easier to unload - it would still have wide mounting points in front and at rear of falcon doors, and could slide to either side

Oh Sugar - I've read the thread backwards - everyone's got this idea! Bet Tesla had it two years ago!:smile:

EDIT - I suppose there are safety issues in event of crash - perhaps the system would be designed to give in this way - I know this thread keeps going over the same ground ... but please don't lose the Falcon doors!

Last edited: