Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Roof Rack|Hitch Rack|Trailer|Toys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trailer hitch/wiring installed today on my Jeep (decided not to torture the Prius this way) ... getting ready to take off for a long weekend with friends at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. I'm happy to report that both setup and takedown can be done by one person in under 10 minutes. It's super easy.

I'll take pics this weekend of the fully opened rig. But so far, I'm impressed with it. (Pic is in my driveway as I practiced backing it into different spots :) )

View attachment 19038

Bonnie are you still loving this trailer? I am probably going to get one in the next month or 2. I have seen a couple of significantly cheaper options out there, but they just are not as high quality or as well thought out.

For those looking for a cheaper way to carry things like kayaks with a Model X this company Malone has what looks like some really good and light weight solutions:

If you already have a trailer:
Amazon.com: Malone Auto Racks Top Tier Utility Trailer Cross Bar System: Sports Outdoors
Roof rack system on a very small trailer:
Amazon.com : Malone MicroSport XT Trailer : Boat Trailers : Sports Outdoors
Kayak specific:
Amazon.com: Malone Auto Racks MicroSport Trailer Kayak Transport Package with 4 Malone J-Pro2 Kayak Carriers: Sports Outdoors

One more option for hauling kayaks, canoes, etc. This one you can buy a tent for as well. Not as slick as the Go, but about half the price:
LGT Top Load Base Rack | Lets Go Aero

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger today and put an order in for the GO camper/trailer. I can use it this summer behind my Prius & then with the X. The racks on top will allow any Thule or Yakima roof rack equipment attachments (bikes/kayaks/whathaveyou).

Well I hope you like yours. I put a deposit down on one yesterday. I could not drive away with it because Mass does not do temp plates.

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago after reading this thread and saw the post above with the moving roof rack and a simpler solution popped into my head! What if Tesla implemented some kind of roof rack with an electrical interconnect with the Falcon wing doors so that when a door opened the roof rack rails would move what ever contents over to the other side of the vehicle.

Some kind of track with anchor points built into it?

I made a simple animation to explain what I think is the simplest solution.
Compared to the other post above this solution doesn't involve messing with the Falcon wing door hinges or raising a container higher than a normal garage would accommodate or sliding it forward or aft. Why make it more complicated than need be?

Of course, only one door would open at a time but it's a good compromise wouldn't you agree?

Model-X.gif

Cool concept. More moving parts though (and only one door open at a time). I'm lucky to be in the group that doesn't really care (I don't use roof racks), but Tesla may have bit off more than they can chew here. We were told back in 2012 that they had a solution for this, but we haven't seen anything so far.

Nice illustration of the concept.

Really nice and a good solution for a lot of people.

But for me, hopefully my first car without a roof box.

Definitely agree. It also would have the added benefit of making it much easier to access the roof rack. But for those in cold climates ice in snow could pose problems for moving the rack in the track.

Last edited:
Trev Page, in an accident scenario, having one of the falcon doors inoperative due to a roof rack could be a big problem

No bigger than any other car. There are 4 other doors to exit by ....

Agree. And some vehicles (some minivans, for instance) only have one sliding door in the back to begin with, rather than two. That particular roof rack solution doesn't introduce a new safety risk.

Few two doors have five people in the back plus driver and front passenger. The X is a vehicle that isn't being produced yet, by a very good NEW car company that has only designed one car through production. I am very impressed by pictures of the results of front and rear crash results with the S. They may be juggling a little bit with the falcon doors at this point if a roof rack isn't designed yet. I believe Tesla values serious critiques, especially prior to production, I know I would.

Few two doors have five people in the back plus driver and front passenger. The X is a vehicle that isn't being produced yet, by a very good NEW car company that has only designed one car through production. I am very impressed by pictures of the results of front and rear crash results with the S. They may be juggling a little bit with the falcon doors at this point if a roof rack isn't designed yet. I believe Tesla values serious critiques, especially prior to production, I know I would.

No offense but a roof rack over the Falcon doors is peanuts to Tesla and Elon Musk. They have a full plate load of food to deal with before the peanuts. I am quite sure that this problem was solved months if not years ago. They just have not revealed it yet. That is not rocket science like SpaceX is ......

to be fair, minivans, like all vehicles have generally evolved over the last decade, and the vast majority now have two doors. I am unsure of any newer models with one. Contemplation on vehicle exits, under numerous circumstances is practical and I am sure done by a 'team' of engineers at Tesla. As someone who climbed out a window...on a highway...in winter.... (front end smashed in beyond dash, car landed on one side, other door would not open) i am glad someone thinks of this stuff!