Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X sales versus other large luxury SUV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps the falcon wings will still be able to vindicate themselves in that Tesla minibus or something, but other than that, they have been an expensive mistake. A few owners enjoying them for putting in babies does not a success make..

I tend to disagree with this statement about "a few owners with babies love them". In my opinion, a big reason for the popularity of SUVs in general is that they are much easier to load kids in/out of compared to sedans. Most agree that loading kids in via FWD makes things even easier than a standard SUV. I would think over time more people will start to realize this and start to desire something like FWD.

i hear all those points but i don't think you can really look at April US sales as indicative of how model X is selling in the US. Generally tesla is producing S and Xs for overseas in the first month of each quarter, then producing domestic cars at the end of the quarter.

I certainly understand how Tesla's quarterly clock works, but the thing is, Model S is still outselling Model X - a car in a much larger segment - throughout the quarter, last month included. In February 2017, a mid-quarter month, Model S sold over twice as much as Model X.

These are not the numbers a premium SUV should be showing compared to a premium sedan.

While I don't doubt that, OTOH, every one of those other cars gets a lot more advertising than a Tesla. I'm frankly amazed Tesla is doing as well as they are given they do zero advertising. Heck, some people still don't even know what a Tesla is, or are still scared of going electric.

I certainly respect Tesla's achievement, especially the Model S's, but that's just the thing isn't it. Model S capturing a massively disproportionate slice of a much smaller premium sedan market... while Model X, well, isn't doing anywhere near the same in its own, much larger segment. So the comparison is Model S, which has all the same marketing etc. limitations as Model X, and Model S makes Model X look kind of bad.

I tend to disagree with this statement about "a few owners with babies love them". In my opinion, a big reason for the popularity of SUVs in general is that they are much easier to load kids in/out of compared to sedans. Most agree that loading kids in via FWD makes things even easier than a standard SUV. I would think over time more people will start to realize this and start to desire something like FWD.

Well, I admit to a tiny bit of exaggeration in my statement. :) But I think the point gets made: if the only reason for falcon wings is placing small children inside, and everything else pretty much is worse about them, that is not a very successful outcome IMO. The whole car is limited to serve one segment of customers.

I'm not saying the idea can't work in some other configuration. But in the Model X, they don't even help much with third-row access in the production version - the doors are too small for that. Maybe in the Tesla minibus they can figure that out...

Of corse the bit about one segment of customer is a bit of an exaggeration too, though. There is another segment. Us geeks. But that is an even smaller niche...

The X solves one huge problem: ingress and egress for passengers, whether they are 1 yo or 70 yo. It simplifies this even in tight spaces... The MX is a perfectly setup for FSD and too bad can't upgrade mine to AP2.0 :-(

Solves a problem but creates others like:
- you might have to modify your garage
- doors don't always open because sensors detect things that shouldn't

Also, let's talk about AP2/FSD when available and out of beta.

Have had very few sensor issues, but I check doors when i open and close them, just like i check fingers when i open and close SUV doors and minivan sliders.

Also one more anecdote, when we had a mercedes GL450 and then 550, it was a tight squeeze into the garage. Opening the doors and getting in required a slide in sideways approach-- so we parked it outside almost 95% of the time...

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Most people do end up parking their suvs outside even if they can fit in the garage due to issues like larmor describes. However most people will view a tesla as needing to park in a garage 100% of the time, due to its need to be charging.

Reactions: larmor

Really how many are being "forced" to modify their garages? Charging infrastructure being the exception. I haven't seen any door not being able to open issue. How widespread is this really?

The AP2 beta issue is old. There was much more crying about people stuck on the more advanced AP1 platform unable to get access to AP2's "potential" than people with AP2 complaining about delay in the release of features.

Only fair thing is Tesla shouldn't be collecting revenue from FSDC since that is far off in the future or market it differently to set expectations.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer

And don't forget the out of warranty expenses on these fancy doors. If fixing those amazing locks in S costs $1000 each I can't imagine how much will it cost to fix X FWD issues.

Really how many are being "forced" to modify their garages? Charging infrastructure being the exception. I haven't seen any door not being able to open issue. How widespread is this really?

We are one of the people that have issues with X inside our garage. Our driver side door is too sensitive, so we have to override that door 99% of the time. We are not modifying our garage though. Not worth it. But the door is the number 1 reason we are not getting another X after our lease expires next year. It does help with getting into and out of the car fairly easy at times, but it creates a lot of problems when it doesn't work properly.

We are one of the people that have issues with X inside our garage. Our driver side door is too sensitive, so we have to override that door 99% of the time. We are not modifying our garage though. Not worth it. But the door is the number 1 reason we are not getting another X after our lease expires next year. It does help with getting into and out of the car fairly easy at times, but it creates a lot of problems when it doesn't work properly.

Would it be your particular X or all X's would have this problem?

Older X, newer X, etc? Just checking if you ran the course for troubleshooting.

I would have them recalibrate or replace sensors under warranty... My drivers door is right near the wall mounted tankless water heaters, and i park very close to them, and have not had an issue, the doors just open without contact to the wall.

I was reading a survey of people considering buying an electric car. Guess what the most desired vehicle was? Model X.

While I haven't read the survey, as a general comment, I have no problem believing people find the Model X desireable. It does serve a halo function for Tesla. But I view it desireable in the sense that, say, the Lamborghini Countach was desireable in the 1970s and 1980s. In the end very few people could or would buy one (let alone really enjoy it, were they to get it), but it was a great dream car. It made for a beautiful poster on the wall.

For me the Model X is the DeLorean of 2010s. I'm not sure I expect to see another one like it necessarily ever, so I bought one out of desire. But you know what they say about meeting your heros... ;)