Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - worthwhile or more trouble?

How would you rate your experience? (Refresh Model X owners only)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I’ve read a lot of this sub-forum and opinion are all over the place…. Is the Model X a great vehicle or a PITA? My sense is that it’s luck of the draw with some folks getting a perfect vehicle and others continuing to have issues (alignment, sensors, shudder).

Is there a consensus? If you’ve had problems, would you buy again?

One the best things about my Model3 is that I’ve had no issues with it (very refreshing coming from BMW). I enjoy not having to worry about reliability or general issues (yes, I have a rattle or two) so I can do other things.

Minor problems - rattles
Moderate problems - fit finish (e.g. easily fixable)
Major problems - shudder, alignment (which may come out worse at service center)

I’ve had my ‘22 since June and so far, I think it’s great! It did have fit and finish problems but they’ve all been fixed by service.

I had older MX loaners recently and I don’t really like the old interior design plus general handing is just not great on the old ones. Also, I paid the original price for mine. At current prices, it would definitely not be possible for me personally.

Reactions: geometro
So, I’ve read a lot of this sub-forum and opinion are all over the place…. Is the Model X a great vehicle or a PITA? My sense is that it’s luck of the draw with some folks getting a perfect vehicle and others continuing to have issues (alignment, sensors, shudder).

One the best things about my Model3 is that I’ve had no issues with it (very refreshing coming from BMW). I enjoy not having to worry about reliability or general issues (yes, I have a rattle or two) so I can do other things.

Minor problems - rattles
Moderate problems - fit finish (e.g. easily fixable)
Major problems - shudder, alignment (which may come out worse at service center)

The norm for every X is shudder and alignment. The minor and moderate you've listed are luck of the draw

There was always something not working right with my 2018 X100D. Finally after three and a half years with numerous Service Center visits , I had no issues. Six months before I traded it in. That being said, the 2018 X never stranded me, nor was it ever not drivable.

But there is no comparison between the X and the Model 3 (and I assume the Y). Our Model 3, has only had a single service event in more than three years.

The problem is the X is loaded with gadgets, all of which break, some repeatedly. FWD, automatic front doors, very complex air suspension etc. I would not own a Model X that was not under warranty. I did buy a 2022, so far the only thing it needed was a wheel alignment, which should have been warranty, but I had to agree to pay, just to get Tesla to even schedule it. The alignment made a huge difference in energy consumption. I have had no other service events in the four months I've had it. The driver's door intermittently fails to fully open. But not impactful enough for me to have someone look at it.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
Shudder is a "major" problem? Based on what parameters? It lets you know something is failing long before it actually fails and it only costs $350 total to replace ALL related parts and then tends to stay fixed for many tens of thousands of miles. I wish all issues were this simple. You'd pay more than that in oil changes in an ICE car and nobody says a word about that. It's just "normal" by all accounts. This is one of the more common issues with a Tesla (byproduct of having WAY more power than most cars) and it's labeled as "major" just because it's more common?

Reactions: henderrj
Shudder is a "major" problem? Based on what parameters? It lets you know something is failing long before it actually fails and it only costs $350 total to replace ALL related parts and then tends to stay fixed for many tens of thousands of miles. I wish all issues were this simple. You'd pay more than that in oil changes in an ICE car and nobody says a word about that. It's just "normal" by all accounts. This is one of the more common issues with a Tesla (byproduct of having WAY more power than most cars) and it's labeled as "major" just because it's more common?

It's a major in a sense that it is a design flaw because it cannot be fixed unless you add aftermarket parts to lower the car. The updated clevis mount does not solve this. X owners who drive in the "normal" ride height will continue to eat their half shafts.

It's not "just $350". This is what you're looking at if you aren't handy.

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.17.11.png

It's a major in a sense that it is a design flaw because it cannot be fixed unless you add aftermarket parts to lower the car. The updated clevis mount does not solve this. X owners who drive in the "normal" ride height will continue to eat their half shafts.

It's not "just $350". This is what you're looking at if you aren't handy.

View attachment 867397
It can absolutely be fixed w/o aftermarket parts and I just had it done on my Model S by Tesla for $350.... Total. I speak from recent first-hand experience. You can also use the "low" setting which will all but prevent it from returning but even if you don't $350 every 50k or so miles isn't really would I would consider "major" at all. Especially when you consider that it is symptomatic for thousands of miles typically and doesn't just suddenly fail leaving you stranded.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see them refund those who paid to have it fixed previously and start to fix it as part of a recall type situation.

If we're just trying to be intentionally obtuse to make it seem like it's a "major" problem when it really isn't, then I just can't come along on that journey. I'll sit this one out and let you inject hyperbole to seem like the sky is falling for whatever reason. To me, a "major" issue is when a zero-clearance ICE vehicle throws a timing belt w/o warning and wipes out the upper end of the engine leaving the owner instantly stranded and facing a massive repair bill.

It could be that our opinion on what "major" entails differs.

It can absolutely be fixed w/o aftermarket parts and I just had it done on my Model S by Tesla for $350.... Total. I speak from recent first-hand experience. You can also use the "low" setting which will all but prevent it from returning but even if you don't $350 every 50k or so miles isn't really would I would consider "major" at all. Especially when you consider that it is symptomatic for thousands of miles typically and doesn't just suddenly fail leaving you stranded.

If you drive in low your tires are going to exhibit accelerated tire wear from uncorrectable toe and camber. You are also posting in a Model X forum. Your Model S does not ride as high as a Model X which greatly contributes to the half shaft angle. I'm not sure what you replaced for $350 but my invoice very clearly outlines the itemized cost of parts. And, I'm not sure where you are getting 50k miles from. The shudder is hit or miss, and there are many reports of brand new Xs with shudder off the line.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see them refund those who paid to have it fixed previously and start to fix it as part of a recall type situation.

That would be nice, but I don't have much faith in Tesla. I had my front control arm snap in half and they still charged me even though it's a known, documented issue (yes, I filed a complaint with the NTHSA).

If we're just trying to be intentionally obtuse to make it seem like it's a "major" problem when it really isn't, then I just can't come along on that journey. I'll sit this one out and let you inject hyperbole to seem like the sky is falling for whatever reason. To me, a "major" issue is when a zero-clearance ICE vehicle throws a timing belt w/o warning and wipes out the upper end of the engine leaving the owner instantly stranded and facing a massive repair bill.

It could be that our opinion on what "major" entails differs.

Using your own logic: To solve the shudder one must drive in low, that will result in an alignment that has uncorrectable toe and camber without a $1500+ kit which will ultimately result in a blow out. Best case, somebody loses a tire. Worst case, that tire takes takes out a bunch of the body and they hit someone, or something.

Anyways. We are just presenting information to the OP. Not arguing semantics about what we all consider major.

If you drive in low your tires are going to exhibit accelerated tire wear from uncorrectable toe and camber. You are also posting in a Model X forum. Your Model S does not ride as high as a Model X which greatly contributes to the half shaft angle. I'm not sure what you replaced for $350 but my invoice very clearly outlines the itemized cost of parts. And, I'm not sure where you are getting 50k miles from. The shudder is hit or miss, and there are many reports of brand new Xs with shudder off the line.

That would be nice, but I don't have much faith in Tesla. I had my front control arm snap in half and they still charged me even though it's a known, documented issue (yes, I filed a complaint with the NTHSA).

Using your own logic: To solve the shudder one must drive in low, that will result in an alignment that has uncorrectable toe and camber without a $1500+ kit which will ultimately result in a blow out. Best case, somebody loses a tire. Worst case, that tire takes takes out a bunch of the body and they hit someone, or something.

Anyways. We are just presenting information to the OP. Not arguing semantics about what we all consider major.
I'll invite you to try to be a little bit more respectful and open to other's experiences being relevant on this topic. Try to have a 2-way conversation for the sake of learning and respecting others rather than just posting your way is the only way to try to make everyone else wrong and belittle them.

I experienced uneven tire wear on my Model S's until I started driving all of them exclusively on the "low" suspension setting. Now they wear perfectly even. I've even had to get tires warrantied out multiple times due to tread wear period and the tires not lasting even close to the stated warranty period. In those instances, the tire shops confirmed the wear is even or that would void the wear warranty. Previously I would have to pay out-of-pocket because there was uneven tire wear and one of the cars was springs and those just always wear horribly no matter how you align them.

I also know how half-shaft input angle works as I've owned and modified many AWD vehicles over the decades. The best input angle is a straight 180 degree shot out of the diff/x-fer case. Anything that causes that angle to decrease (raising or lowering typically, on these vehicles it's mostly raising since the height is optimal ride height at the "low" setting) puts more stress on these parts. The fact that the Model X has "more ground clearance" doesn't by itself mean that the input angle are any different. There's a lot more involved with that downstream and simply stating that the Model X rides higher means the angle is greater isn't accurate because it doesn't account for any of the other suspension geometry that's mounted in different locations compared to the Model S.

This point really doesn't matter though and genuinely feels like you just brought it up to argue something as irrelevant to the conversation as how long these parts last. I never once tried to claim they should last 200k or even 100k miles so... what's the point if this exercise? Feels more like an irrelevant knowledge dump than anything since we're both in agreement that the parts typically fail at a higher rate than most would expect. Playing devil's advocate I could argue that the engineering forces at play with these cars is unlike any other seen but that's also a pointless exercise since, to me, it appears as though we're both in agreement that these parts commonly fail and should last longer. 50k was a totally arbitrary number I threw out for conversation sake. Sure I've seen cars start to have shudder at a lower number but I've also seen FAR more cars have shudder at a number much higher than that. Again, it's an arbitrary median figure though so... who cares if it's 40k, 60k or some number even further from the mean?

The more important fact is if becomes symptomatic long before it actually fails in almost every case. You won't be left stranded if you address it in any reasonable amount of time and it's relatively inexpensive. For me, these are the most important factors when determining "minor" vs "major" so that's the only reason I even brought that up because it's not like you have to do this every 500 miles or something. The official TSB from Tesla is now that ALL parts associated with the "shudder" symptom are replaced for a grand total of $350. I'm sorry that you overpaid or maybe my information is newer than your experience but that's the real number. Today. Right now. My shop had the parts in stock and my car was fixed and returned back to me that afternoon. Easy.

It should be noted that this is from someone who historically has nothing positive to say about Tesla Service. I've been very vocal and detailed with my numerous negative experiences with them. I give credit where credit is due though as they're stepping up to the plate on this issue.

Much like you, I also had a front control arm snap in half on one of my cars. This is an issue I wouldn't consider "minor" because it's first symptom for most owners is total failure w/o warning leaving the owner stranded. That was the case for me and it ruined my entire day and was a big pain. In extreme scenarios it can also very costly damage to other components as well incurring even higher repair bills. In my opinion this is a bigger issue than the shudder one for all of these reasons.

I also never said that one "must buy a $1,500+ kit" of any sort to drive in "low" as you've indicated. We are in agreement that this kit is entirely unnecessary though.

I'm not here to argue semantics. I just think that some things are greatly exaggerated and often times may prevent entry due to others assigning a much higher value to them than reality would indicate. Nothing about this shudder issue would indicate "major" for me so scaring others off is kind of unwarranted in my opinion. You're entitled to your own even if it differs from mine.

Sorry— definitely did not mean for this to turn toxic.

I just meant to categorize major as something not easily fixable, pervasive and (generally) requiring a fix by a skilled technician. Put another way, if my wife complains about it and I can’t fix it (my handyman skills are questionable) then it’s major … does that work? 🤨

Based on comments I’ve read “shudder” falls into this category. (First time I’ve seen someone mention a DIY fix for shudder on a MX).

Sorry— definitely did not mean for this to turn toxic.

I just meant to categorize major as something not easily fixable, pervasive and (generally) requiring a fix by a skilled technician. Put another way, if my wife complains about it and I can’t fix it (my handyman skills are questionable) then it’s major … does that work? 🤨

Based on comments I’ve read “shudder” falls into this category. (First time I’ve seen someone mention a DIY fix for shudder on a MX).
You didn't do anything wrong. ngng just has a habit of picking fights seemingly for no reason. You said what you said and I posted to try to get some more info on what you meant by "major" providing some first-hand info in the process that you may fund useful.

As someone who knows their way around a wrench, I wouldn't label the fix for this as a shade tree mechanic type job so I can see why you might call it major. By that metric though there's no way on earth you'd ever choose to buy an ICE vehicle and you managed to this point. ;)

I am not a buyer of another Model X. Especially not if the supercharger network opens to CCS cars.

It’s a really cool car and I like it a lot, and won’t be bailing out of it anytime soon, but the issues just aren’t outweighed by the novelty, and life is too short. I won’t need or want a three row family hauler forever and when the time comes, or the powertrain warranty is gone, I’ll move on.

I will still recommend it to people, with asterisks. It’s the most French car you can currently buy, including all of the French cars. It is not a soulless electric appliance and that’s an exceedingly rare thing in the EV marketplace

Last edited:
Because you’re concerned about problems with the X, and because virtually zero EV owners/buyers I’ve met in real life were aware that other companies make good EVs too - have you at least looked into the BMW iX or Mercedes EQS SUV?

/don’t tase me bros…

Reactions: Richbot
On a more positive note. Was invited to visit a friend at his campsite. Only parking spot was up a steep incline where others feared to tread. Put air suspension into high and simply drove up the mound with little drama. Also use air suspension lift to get into a friends challenging driveway. At low setting the X would scrape at high center. Switched to high and it easily made it as well. The car now remembers when we geo-locate at his driveway and automagically raises the X up to clear.

At highway speeds it lowers itself automatically as well to decrease drag and increase range.

This system also provides a cloud comfortable cruise around town, yet firms up automatically when cornering agressively or at higher speeds to add better control. Going around high speed freeway sweepers it reduces body roll and increases control.

Have a friend with a similar size BMW SUV. While it also handles great in those same high speed sweepes, it rides much harsher in town.

Pretty clever system

Because you’re concerned about problems with the X, and because virtually zero EV owners/buyers I’ve met in real life were aware that other companies make good EVs too - have you at least looked into the BMW iX or Mercedes EQS SUV?

/don’t tase me bros…
BMW iX - no third row, so no go.

Going to look at the Mercedes, but for any non-Tesla EV, I’m worried about how well these companies know battery tech.

Also, I generally find that Tesla has taken the most user-centric approach to their UX and software. The other companies either can’t hire the talent or aren’t investing in it correctly (e.g., too many menus, clunky interface).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
We have over 10 Teslas in our company parking lot (3, Y and S, but no X) and all of them have fit and finish issues. It all depends on your level of OCD. I've pointed out flaws on just about every Tesla here, with the majority of the issues being inconsistent panel gaps and alignment. If you have severe OCD, you'll drive yourself nuts owning a Tesla. Unfortunately, Tesla Service will most likely say that most of these issues are within factory spec.

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan
Going to look at the Mercedes, but for any non-Tesla EV, I’m worried about how well these companies know battery tech.

Also, I generally find that Tesla has taken the most user-centric approach to their UX and software. The other companies either can’t hire the talent or aren’t investing in it correctly (e.g., too many menus, clunky interface).
Reviewers actually love recent Mercedes infotainment and ui. The route planner is excellent, up there with Tesla. It is shocking how many companies utterly fail at this though. The VW group software is notably bad.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the EQS SUV if you test drive it. I am interested in the upcoming EQE sedan.

My wife has had an X for almost 5 years. I had a 3 for over 4 years, and now a Y for 7 months.

We have had zero problems with the 3 and Y, and they are a lot cheaper, more efficient, and the 3 is a LOT more fun to drive than the X (but the Y is only a little bit more fun).

That said, if you want 3 rows, or easier ingress/ingress, or more room, or better towing, or adjustable suspension...the X is the obvious choice. Beyond those, the X has an awful lot of nice-to-have touches that are documented in other threads. My wife loves her X, but doesn't like to drive my 3 or Y. So my Y is just for my short trips around town; any long trip or trip where she's driving, we take the X.

However, as one might expect, the X has had more problems. Fortunately most have been inconveniences; the car has always gotten us to where we needed to go. Usually mobile service comes out and fixes it in our driveway. I'd still rather drive a smaller/cheaper/more reliable car for daily commuting; but for longer trips (and when we tow our trailer) I would say the X is worth is the hassle of scheduling an occasional service.

If you're an avgeek, X = F14D; Y = F18E

Y is probably a much better overall choice for the vast majority of jobs and people. But when you absolutely, positively, have to go an extra 20% further with 20% more payload, above the mach number, well, the Y is just that bit less capable and it's not gonna do that job, you're going to have to not do that mission, no 10-second 1/4 miles carrying 5 friends for you. The tradeoff is like twice as much money per flight hour. Unfortunately the Model Y mafia appears to have won and the X is not getting the love at Tesla or on the resale market like Y is

Hopefully they don't scrap all the X's on tradein like we did with the tomcat, lol

Reactions: Pstreicher1