Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 40% more efficient than Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford will sell less than anticipated, for what it’s worth some people will buy it. But not as many as they think. At the end of the day it still has a Ford badge. I personally think it’s way over hyped. I’m super curious to see how the battery pack and motor hold up after 3 years.
EPA ratings are understated by some manufacturers, presumably so they can under promise and over deliver.

Edmunds.com did an actual test of 17 EVs in mixed 60%/40% city/highway driving. They reported, "To date, every Tesla vehicle we've run on our real-world test route has failed to hit its EPA range estimate within the testing parameters described above, whereas most non-Tesla vehicles have surpassed their EPA estimates."

They found that a 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance, EPA rated at 291 miles, delivered only 263. A 2021 Mustang Mach-e ex range, EPA rated at 270 miles, delivered 305. So Ford's 17% bigger battery delivered 16% greater range in Edmunds' tests.

EPA ratings are understated by some manufacturers, presumably so they can under promise and over deliver.

Edmunds.com did an actual test of 17 EVs in mixed 60%/40% city/highway driving. They reported, "To date, every Tesla vehicle we've run on our real-world test route has failed to hit its EPA range estimate within the testing parameters described above, whereas most non-Tesla vehicles have surpassed their EPA estimates."

They found that a 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance, EPA rated at 291 miles, delivered only 263. A 2021 Mustang Mach-e ex range, EPA rated at 270 miles, delivered 305. So Ford's 17% bigger battery delivered 16% greater range in Edmunds' tests.
Yea.. but it’s slow, and at the end of the day you gotta look at that Ford badge. The same company that makes the Fiesta! Same thing with the new Ford GT. It might be a neat cool car, but at the end of the day it’s still a Ford.

I second this! Tesla range is way overestimated and Ford underestimated which people have known for awhile. A friend of mine has the MY and he's averaging 270 Wh/mi and I'm averaging 290 Wh/mi in my Mach-E. We are in the same location and he hates that his MY range decreases drastically when he starts driving. I've checked my range vs actual miles and mine is extremely accurate which is surprising. And on warm days I'll show 200 miles (for example) and after a 10 mile trip it'll still show 200 miles because it underestimated. This happens frequently.

I second this! Tesla range is way overestimated and Ford underestimated which people have known for awhile. A friend of mine has the MY and he's averaging 270 Wh/mi and I'm averaging 290 Wh/mi in my Mach-E. We are in the same location and he hates that his MY range decreases drastically when he starts driving. I've checked my range vs actual miles and mine is extremely accurate which is surprising. And on warm days I'll show 200 miles (for example) and after a 10 mile trip it'll still show 200 miles because it underestimated. This happens frequently.
TBH, it really is better to switch to percentage on the Tesla. The range not being a GOM makes it close to useless. There's always the trip screen if you want to see a reasonably accurate representation of miles remaining.

You are comparing an MYP to a slower rear wheel drive Mach E. The way I read the numbers is that the Mach E was designed with a bigger battery to make up for the cars inherent lower efficiency of about 15% compared to Tesla.

I like how Ford spent the money on the larger battery. Hopefully the Mach E charging rate is somewhat fixable with software.

IMO Ford did much better than GM trying who tried to straddle a compliance car and a good car with the Bolt.

You are comparing an MYP to a slower rear wheel drive Mach E. The way I read the numbers is that the Mach E was designed with a bigger battery to make up for the cars inherent lower efficiency of about 15% compared to Tesla.

I like how Ford spent the money on the larger battery. Hopefully the Mach E charging rate is somewhat fixable with software.

IMO Ford did much better than GM trying who tried to straddle a compliance car and a good car with the Bolt.
I'd just like to see Tesla increase the battery and beat them on range and efficiency. The sooner we can get to real world 340+ cars, the better.

Reactions: Daekwan
Isn’t wh/mi considered a standard metric to measure an EV’s efficiency regardless of how big the battery is. Doesn’t it really boil down to how far a vehicle can go with a given amount of power. So I’d love to see a “real world” conducted to test vehicles driven to measure how far each vehicle car go with a given amount of power. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Big Earl and jsight
This post didn't age well with plenty of Mach-E's on the road now, lots of YouTube videos showing the Mach-E outlasting the Y on range tests.
I love my Y.. but I get a feeling alot of these posts are going never going to age well. Ford did a fantastic job for what is basically their first try.. and as a direct competitor to Teslas best selling vehicle.

Look the reason why I bought the Y still exist. Tesla Supercharger network is just better all around.. Tesla also has more experience building EVs, are more fun to drive, have better resale value and are still the market leader in the EV world. But I expect everyone else to start catching up fast. Things will be alot more interesting 3-5 years from now.. when many of us are new car shopping again. There should be much more competition and plenty of reasons to look around.

Aren't the current Mach E RWD?
The ER is available in both RWD and AWD. The AWD is EPA rated for 270, RWD I believe is around 300 and some change.
I haven't seen many real world range tests on the RWD, but if the AWD is an indication, the RWD shouldn't have an issue achieving 310-320 real world miles.

One thing people forget is that the Model Y battery tech is several years ago. Tesla should be the segment leader again once the 4680 cells are released. After that, it's just going to be a seesaw battle and other companies will come out with their tech, and so on.

The 2170 packs in the M3 & MY are proven.

I've been following Bjorn and Tesla is still on top for overall battery+motor drive-train quality, power, and efficiency. I was expecting some other manufacturer to leap-frog Tesla, but it hasn't happened yet.

The ER is available in both RWD and AWD. The AWD is EPA rated for 270, RWD I believe is around 300 and some change.
I haven't seen many real world range tests on the RWD, but if the AWD is an indication, the RWD shouldn't have an issue achieving 310-320 real world miles.

One thing people forget is that the Model Y battery tech is several years ago. Tesla should be the segment leader again once the 4680 cells are released. After that, it's just going to be a seesaw battle and other companies will come out with their tech, and so on.

:rolleyes: ..Mach-E is the latest in the long list of "Tesla-killers"..
The biggest constraint for any manufacturer will be battery supply. Tesla definitely has an edge in terms of ensuring a high volume of battery supply. Ford probably could sell more than 60,000 globally if they could get more batteries.

For the initial launch and effort, you still have to be impressed with the range these cars are getting. Sure, they're doing it with a 100 kWh pack (88 kWh usable) but at the end of the day, the consumer doesn't care if they get 300 miles with a bigger battery.

The Mach-E doesn't have a heat-pump which hurts its real-world cold weather range.
The Mach-E doesn't have access to the Tesla Super Charger Network, which really hurts the plans A Better Route Planner comes up with in places like NH and Maine.

Other than those two deal breakers, the Mach-E looks like a pretty nice vehicle.

I don't know why we always do this. Another thread bashing a car that on the surface competes against Tesla, when in reality it's another good electric vehicle that will continue to grow the EV market, not cannibalize Tesla in a major way. A rising tide lifts all boats, and the rising tide of EV models is a good thing for both existing EV's (competition) and expanding the EV market.