Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Build Quality Improving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone-

I am debating between a 2022 Acura MDX and a Model Y Performance and while I am leaning towards the Model Y, I do not want to be the beneficiary of build issues and subpar warranty service. As I read over posts, I see people accepting vehicles with an array of issues from panel gaps and paint issues to misaligned roofs. That being said, are these issues of the past and is build quality improving? Are new buyers that bought this quarter seeing half ass build quality or quality like like that of Honda and Toyota? There has to be some standard of quality control when Tesla cars come off the assembly line by now.

Sorry for the rambling. I would love to get the thoughts from the group before I drop $65k.

TR

Tesla is a ten year old company. it would be nice if they have some standard of quality control, but i wouldn't hold your breath. if they didn't do it at 8 years, or 9 years, i dunno what makes them wanna do it at 10.

most cars will be fine, some will be perfect, some will have some pretty terrible issues. good news is that tesla will do what they can to make it right most of the time. so the say eight out of ten times you'll get a car that is fine (some minor panel gaps, some trim that isn't perfect, nothing that tesla can't fix but it'll burn some of your time). you could be that one out of ten that gets a perfect car, no issues and you go home happy, but then again you could be that one out of ten where your roof flies off and the service department takes forever to get it replaced. i think it's safe to say you should be prepared to roll the dice, but the odds are probably in your favor you'll be reasonably happy.

There still seems to be some unacceptable variation between units. The common issues like panel alignment still show up daily on these forums. I have a model y on order, and honestly, I'm going to be a little upset if the rear hatch D pillar is all misaligned. It's something I can spot from 20 ft away and it's bothered me on a few demo units I've seen. I'll probably accept the car regardless because it's the vehicle I want.

Side note- I think the other automakers get a little too much credit for their perceived quality. Tesla certainly has some egregious and persistent cosmetic issues, but you have the chance to get a lemon with any automaker you choose.

Reactions: BigDanSRQ
This was my thought process when I ended up getting MY last year after owning 2 BMWs, 1 MB, and 1 Audi. Despite known built quality issue of Teslas, am I going to be picky person that will be checking every single minor deficiencies and be stressed about those issues forever? I chose not to. Realistically, I did not expect Tesla to have a build quality to that of other legacy manufactures which comes with decades of experiences in buidling and quality controlling.

Instead, I chose to see the positives. Driving fun ✅. Cool gimmicks ✅. A bit of eco warrior pride ✅. No dealership stress ✅. All of these factors have outweighed few imperfect panel gaps and minor deficiencies which service center has promptly addressed in my experience. 9 months later, I am adding M3 SR+ to my garage because my wife and I just prefer Tesla due to above reasons.

Panel gaps, imperfect trim or whatever can be fixed at best. Even if it is not perfect fit and finish, it is just a minor thing that I just see it as a part of buying a car from company that lacks history.

In the end, it is really up to you. If you are OCD and cannot stand minor imperfections despite all the good things above, I recommend non-Teslas. Good luck 😉👍

I had 2 minor problems and 1 major problem with mine.

1) smudges on the driver-side visor
2) corner of rear bumper cover not flush

3) fromt passenger-side seatbelt doesn't work. It's stuck locked 99% of the time (not related to recalls). They are going to replace the actuator once it comes in

Outside of that, no other issues.

I guess we’re lucky, over 6000 miles since late Feb delivery. The only thing I’ve noticed is when my son leaves the rear seatbelt twisted and he’s not in the car it rattles. Easy to fix, untwist it. As another said, I would have gladly traded a single service visit to correct a panel alignment if I had had to once for standing at a gas station for 5 minutes every 4-5 days the rest of my life. That’s the best feature of the Y hands down, what’s not there. The noise, the smell, the wasted time of refueling a commuter car.

Reactions: cusetownusa
  • Funny
Reactions: kelly and tomagucci
I think Tesla gets dinged for panel fitment because the exterior is so smooth and aerodynamic. There are minimal creases, no plastic cladding on the lower doors, flush door handle, nothing to distract the eye. The visually minimalistic design makes panel alignment even more critical.

I'm not sure why so many manufacturers have designed cars with front hoods that set inside the fenders AND the front fascia/bumper, with (beautiful) curving edges that are virtually impossible to align. The white Teslas show this problem even more, because the dark line of the gap sticks out. (ditto for door gaps)

everyones perception of acceptable vs unacceptable can vary.
Why dont you go to the nearest Tesla service center and examine several for yourself, to get an idea?
Plus, you dont have to take delivery of one if you order it and find issues that cant be addressed when you go to pick itup. So its not $65k wasted

I picked up my "Y" - a March build. I considered it a near perfect build. Two minor issues - passenger lumbar support didn't work, and I had the typical PT sensors replaced. The Lumbar support started working on its own after a couple of weeks (The service center ordered new parts, but I ended up not needing them.)

I think overall quality is fine.
Yeah the trunk door/lid is not aligned perfectly and you can see some slight misalignment on tail lights. But I am afraid to take it to Tesla, because I've seen cases where they will make it worse.
Rear door on the passenger side needs some force to be closed properly. Some gooey stuff was sticking out from underneath the trim on roof that I cut with the knife.
There is a clear paint drip on a rear quarter panel.
But all that stuff you need to search for.
Otherwise I have no complains.
Also I had similar issues with Honda. So may be the standards are changing and it is more and more acceptable to do it at 80% instead of 95%
I think that people feel that Tesla is a premium brand and a premium car. And in my view Highlander now cost $50K Sienna minivan is $55k Tundra truck is pushing $60k. F 150 goes up to $80k?!?!
So for $50k it is a pretty good car and a good quality too.
Needs some quality improvements - sure, I'll take it.

I think Tesla quality problems are probably a little overstated these days. With that being said, we still hear about bad paint and panel gaps all of the time. I've never noticed either of those problems on any of the other cars I've owned, and I'm anal and hand wash my cars, so I would have noticed. They still have some work to do. I have a vehicle on order. When I pick it up, I'll spot them a couple of problems that I'm confident they will fix, but I'm going to refuse delivery if they try to give me a car with a ton of issues. I think you just have to go in mentally prepared to do that, which is hard when you want to go home with your new toy.

My brother's Jun built one has much better fit and finish than mine Mar built. My rear hatch and right left passenger door were misaligned. Passenger front door handle was more recessed than the rest. I helped him went over his and didn't really see anything significant.

I just picked mine up last week (built in May). I went through a 4 page PDI checklist I put together. I couldn't find any major issues, nor nothing even minor. I had an MY Performance (aka MYP) on order but changed it about 2 weeks after ordering to go with the long range (MY LR) version. There are some good thread to compare the real world differences.

We got rid of an Acura RDX Advance version (latest gen) for the MY LR. Prior to that we had an MDX as well. I was also considering the new 2022 MDX. I can tell you some things I hated about the 10 speed transmission Acura put in the RDX and seems similar to the one now in the MDX. There is a lot of lag before you get full power off the line. It seems to wait a half second before you get full power (like they were trying to keep the torque from killing the tranny) If you take off, and then ease up, and then accelerate again, there is what seems like a massive delay ALL the time. Also that POS trackpad for the infotainment system should be thrown away. After 2 years with it on my RDX, I never ever was happy with it. Since there is no touch screen, you are stuck with it. The latest MDX has it as well.

While this is subjective, the Acura has a more premium feel inside than the MY. At the same time, it seems overly busy too. The leather is far better on the Acura than the MY but by comparison it isn't as good as that on my MB or past Audis.

I would encourage you to conider another option than the MYP. The 21" wheels are heavy and curb rash magnets. Many people try and resell them and go with something else. That was my plan originally. After some research here, I found there is a potentially a better option than the MYP depending on your needs. That is to go with the MY LR and acceleration boost after you buy it.

Tesla has not made it easy to compare the acceleration times between the MYP and MY LR. Basically if you were to use the same methodology, they are closer in acceleration that it seems at first glance. From a roll they are much closer than you would think. Adding acceleration boost (a 2k option after you buy) knocks .6 seconds off the 0-60 time. Using the same standard of measuring, that puts the MYP at about 3.8 seconds 0-60 vs about 4.2. From a roll they are going to be very close.

I can say while I appreciated my Acuras, after just a week with my MY LR, I couldn't go back. Even the slow version is so much quicker than any of the Acura SUVs and very good space utilization, I don't think I could go back. One area I liked better on my RDX was the electronically adjustable suspension. It was far better than the suspension on the MYP. Tesla still has a long way to go on the MY and M3 to get their suspension up to the standards of the rest of the class. You do have an option though to buy aftermarket coilovers to improve that.

In summary, I'd say don't worry too much about the build quality. I found a good SA who I trust here and he said he hasn't seen any major issues pretty much since the updated 2021s came out. He had no reason to lie to me as I'd already taken delivery of the car. He had been very helpful in smoothing out some of the big bumps I had along the way. I am not the ultimate Tesla fanboi but I can say so far the car was worth the wait.

There still seems to be some unacceptable variation between units. The common issues like panel alignment still show up daily on these forums. I have a model y on order, and honestly, I'm going to be a little upset if the rear hatch D pillar is all misaligned. It's something I can spot from 20 ft away and it's bothered me on a few demo units I've seen. I'll probably accept the car regardless because it's the vehicle I want.

Side note- I think the other automakers get a little too much credit for their perceived quality. Tesla certainly has some egregious and persistent cosmetic issues, but you have the chance to get a lemon with any automaker you choose.
Hey Everyone-

I am debating between a 2022 Acura MDX and a Model Y Performance and while I am leaning towards the Model Y, I do not want to be the beneficiary of build issues and subpar warranty service. As I read over posts, I see people accepting vehicles with an array of issues from panel gaps and paint issues to misaligned roofs. That being said, are these issues of the past and is build quality improving? Are new buyers that bought this quarter seeing half ass build quality or quality like like that of Honda and Toyota? There has to be some standard of quality control when Tesla cars come off the assembly line by now.

Sorry for the rambling. I would love to get the thoughts from the group before I drop $65k.

TR
Acura has the same quality issue. My car had panel gap issues lol. It had a bad sunroof design which caused water to leak into the fusebox. The clear coat started to peel on many of their models. Bad transmission design led to tranny failure. people ignore issues of the other automakers.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I just picked mine up last week (built in May). I went through a 4 page PDI checklist I put together. I couldn't find any major issues, nor nothing even minor. I had an MY Performance (aka MYP) on order but changed it about 2 weeks after ordering to go with the long range (MY LR) version. There are some good thread to compare the real world differences.

We got rid of an Acura RDX Advance version (latest gen) for the MY LR. Prior to that we had an MDX as well. I was also considering the new 2022 MDX. I can tell you some things I hated about the 10 speed transmission Acura put in the RDX and seems similar to the one now in the MDX. There is a lot of lag before you get full power off the line. It seems to wait a half second before you get full power (like they were trying to keep the torque from killing the tranny) If you take off, and then ease up, and then accelerate again, there is what seems like a massive delay ALL the time. Also that POS trackpad for the infotainment system should be thrown away. After 2 years with it on my RDX, I never ever was happy with it. Since there is no touch screen, you are stuck with it. The latest MDX has it as well.

While this is subjective, the Acura has a more premium feel inside than the MY. At the same time, it seems overly busy too. The leather is far better on the Acura than the MY but by comparison it isn't as good as that on my MB or past Audis.

I would encourage you to conider another option than the MYP. The 21" wheels are heavy and curb rash magnets. Many people try and resell them and go with something else. That was my plan originally. After some research here, I found there is a potentially a better option than the MYP depending on your needs. That is to go with the MY LR and acceleration boost after you buy it.

Tesla has not made it easy to compare the acceleration times between the MYP and MY LR. Basically if you were to use the same methodology, they are closer in acceleration that it seems at first glance. From a roll they are much closer than you would think. Adding acceleration boost (a 2k option after you buy) knocks .6 seconds off the 0-60 time. Using the same standard of measuring, that puts the MYP at about 3.8 seconds 0-60 vs about 4.2. From a roll they are going to be very close.

I can say while I appreciated my Acuras, after just a week with my MY LR, I couldn't go back. Even the slow version is so much quicker than any of the Acura SUVs and very good space utilization, I don't think I could go back. One area I liked better on my RDX was the electronically adjustable suspension. It was far better than the suspension on the MYP. Tesla still has a long way to go on the MY and M3 to get their suspension up to the standards of the rest of the class. You do have an option though to buy aftermarket coilovers to improve that.

In summary, I'd say don't worry too much about the build quality. I found a good SA who I trust here and he said he hasn't seen any major issues pretty much since the updated 2021s came out. He had no reason to lie to me as I'd already taken delivery of the car. He had been very helpful in smoothing out some of the big bumps I had along the way. I am not the ultimate Tesla fanboi but I can say so far the car was worth the wait.
I'm a 2020 RDX owner and currently have it for sale and I agree with your frustrations with the current gen RDX. This was my 3rd Acura and probably my last, although it was boring to drive I enjoyed my 2013 RDX much more. I see great things coming down the road for Acura but I am ready to make the jump to an electric vehicle!

I have looked at several recent built Teslas and haven't noticed anything that would keep me up at night. I have confidence that they are continuing to make improvements but I am curious to see how the cars coming out of the Texas Gigafactory will compare.

I literally had a 2022 MDX Advance, took a $6k loss and traded it in a week later. The transmission is horrible and the benefits of an EV are superior, not having to fill the tank again and waking up with a full "tank" of gas is a huge plus. The quality is nowhere near Acura however. Keep this in mind, the Tesla does not have a good blind spot monitoring compared to the MDX, does not have apple car play, no 360 camera, no cross traffic and does not have noise cancellation. Take an extensive test drive with the Tesla and you will notice how loud it is compared to the MDX, it even hurts my ears and others. With that being said I still chose the MY over the MDX just because of the pure acceleration and no shifting. But I do miss the MDX.

The MDX is using the same engine (except for minor improvements) for years, for that price point of the MDX it's not enough power, torque or updates.

My MY had a few problems, alignment, panel gaps inside that I haven't had them fix, a scratch on my headlight but nothing major. The quality definitely lacks compared to Acura, and don't get hand sanitizer or alcohol on the "vegan" seats which suck, it'll stain it forever.

I literally had a 2022 MDX Advance, took a $6k loss and traded it in a week later. The transmission is horrible and the benefits of an EV are superior, not having to fill the tank again and waking up with a full "tank" of gas is a huge plus. The quality is nowhere near Acura however. Keep this in mind, the Tesla does not have a good blind spot monitoring compared to the MDX, does not have apple car play, no 360 camera, no cross traffic and does not have noise cancellation. Take an extensive test drive with the Tesla and you will notice how loud it is compared to the MDX, it even hurts my ears and others. With that being said I still chose the MY over the MDX just because of the pure acceleration and no shifting. But I do miss the MDX.

The MDX is using the same engine (except for minor improvements) for years, for that price point of the MDX it's not enough power, torque or updates.

My MY had a few problems, alignment, panel gaps inside that I haven't had them fix, a scratch on my headlight but nothing major. The quality definitely lacks compared to Acura, and don't get hand sanitizer or alcohol on the "vegan" seats which suck, it'll stain it forever.

The transmission issue is what I couldn't live with on my RDX. That pause almost got me hit a few times. You would roll out from a stop, push on the throttle to merge and it would just sit there, waiting to get smashed. Then finally muster its power, and then take off.

As for the noise level, I think it varies alot across the MY range. Even among builds. I drove the MYP and it was pretty noisy, but it was mostly tire/road noise. So bad for me that as I researched buying one, I was also researching to find the issues. My wife cast the vetoing vote for it because of the crappy ride quality. She did like the normal LR version ride quality so she was good with one of those.

So that left the LR with either the 19" Gemini or 20" Inductions to choose from. Drove them both and they both were quieter from road noise, but one (with Induction wheels) must have had some roof alignment or window alignment issues as it was noisier from a wind perspective than the Gemini one. The tires seemed louder on it too. We decided to pocket the 2k saving and go aftermarket if we didn't like the Geminis after we got the car.

I was shocked when ours finally arrived, it was quieter from both road and aerodynamic noise than any we had driven. I felt like we got the Goldilocks car. Obviously with no motor and the seemingly 20 shifts the transmission would take to get to 60 mph, you are more aware of any noise. So far we are both happy and the 2k saving will go toward the acceleration boost fund.

Blindspots suck for most but I don't ever use my side rearview mirrors like most (pointing back along the sides). When I lived in Europe one of the driving schools recommended this approach. I think it as because some Porsches had such tiny mirrors for minimal wind resistance that someone came up with this. Then I found the SAE had also recommended this way as well in a 1995 paper and some other strategies. Here is the simple approach to it. I have been using it for about 30 years now very successfully.