Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery E-Mails Incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So not so sure- I suspect some of the non-performance emails from last night cost less than the performance white seats. I think its whatever they can load in the hopper that night. I would also guess (a complete guess, I have no knowledge at all so I shouldn't even guess but I can't help myself) that to keep white interior perfectly white is harder than black- and that may mean slowing the line down just a little.. And that's the rub- the speed of the line, not the cost of the car.

Again I have no idea, but my bet is that they want to keep the line moving at warp speed because they know if they can sell it in March- it makes their Q1 numbers look great compared year on year. And if white slows them down or 19" wheels, etc- they will wait on those so the line keeps flying for March.

Performance models with white interior should have an even higher margin.

Why is black interior "much easier to supply than white"?
It's probably not about supply but more about manufacturability, setup/tear down. Black is a higher volume product and it makes more sense for a one-piece flow line to continue manufacturing the black interiors. I don't know Tesla's layout but I'd have to assume they have multiple lines for the Y and right now, each one is configured for the black interior. If the numbers on the white interior Performance version isn't high, it wouldn't make sense for them to have one line dedic
Looks like they're just going most expensive -> least expensive
Don't forget, current Tesla owners also get a higher priority. Many of the ones getting the notification are current or past Tesla owners.

Reactions: K5TRX
Yes, white with black interior, all options but FSD. And I ordered it end of Dec. '19. I'm in northern CA.

Interesting, current owner, ordered white, black interior, 5 seater AWD and FSD. I'm in the SF bay area, ordered in Nov '19 so I should expect to be in a similar lot. No email yet but perhaps being in the heart of silicon valley just puts me a little further behind than everyone else in delivery capacity.

Interesting, current owner, ordered white, black interior, 5 seater AWD and FSD. I'm in the SF bay area, ordered in Nov '19 so I should expect to be in a similar lot. No email yet but perhaps being in the heart of silicon valley just puts me a little further behind than everyone else in delivery capacity.
Did you also order the performance model? I did.

Not sure I understand your statement. Just to be clear, I did not order it with FSD.
That is correct. I speculate most of the performance orders, regardless of FSD, with black interior have received an email delivery confirmation as of yesterday. Most everyone in the community expected this because with the model 3, Tesla released the performance variants first. The surprising thing, for me at least, was when I got my confirmation email this morning with a LR AWD (non performance) order. I had FSD attached to my order though, and I don't believe we've seen anyone with LR AWD trim and no FSD reporting a confirmation email. This would make sense if Telsa prioritized deliveries where FSD was added to improve quarterly revenue.

Edit: I feel for all of white interior folks though. Bummer that they didn't have those orders lined up.

Last edited:
I don't think we know it was "most" just "some" ... do you have some insider info?
No, Just reading all of the user reports and whats being posted. I'll update it to indicate that "I speculate". Some users reported delivery confirmation when they ordered on the 15th.

Edit: I'm just hoping to clear up confusion and provide some consolidated information for anyone joining the discussion.

It's
No, Just reading all of the user reports and whats being posted. I'll update it to indicate that "I speculate". Some users reported delivery confirmation when they ordered on the 15th.

Edit: I'm just hoping to clear up confusion and provide some consolidated information for anyone joining the discussion.

It's a very odd rollout for sure ... we expected to be at the end of the line, mid to late summer at least .. both my X and her Y are going to be deivered in March .. yikes!

Reactions: AdVanced
Indeed black interior is easier to mass produce. You don't need to worry about contamination. If I were Tesla, I would do the same (getting black interior out of the door first).

There were pictures where black seats being stockpiling in Fremont factory, and we saw very few white interior sample (only one) from the test fleet so far.

I'm in a quandry...where I have a LR AWD white interior order with FSD, order feb 2, 2020, first time Tesla owner though. With having FSD on it, I could be pushed higher up the reservation queue, but now I've switched my mind and I don't want the FSD.

1. I could edit my order right now and remove FSD without issue, but then I assume I could be greatly increasing the length of my wait time.

2. I could keep FSD on my order...and hope that my tesla buying advisor lets me edit the order and remove FSD since its just a software unlock? I'm not sure if that is even a possibility once your date is set...

I'm in a quandry...where I have a LR AWD white interior order with FSD, order feb 2, 2020, first time Tesla owner though. With having FSD on it, I could be pushed higher up the reservation queue, but now I've switched my mind and I don't want the FSD.

1. I could edit my order right now and remove FSD without issue, but then I assume I could be greatly increasing the length of my wait time.

2. I could keep FSD on my order...and hope that my tesla buying advisor lets me edit the order and remove FSD since its just a software unlock? I'm not sure if that is even a possibility once your date is set...
#2 stay in the queue, remove that option at the time of customization.

Don't forget, current Tesla owners also get a higher priority. Many of the ones getting the notification are current or past Tesla owners.

Where did you see anything about that, or is it just speculation?

I just placed a reservation last weekend for a 5-seat LR AWD with black interior + FSD. Haven’t seen anything about a delivery date yet; figured I was saving a place in line for later in the year but if it comes up now, so be it ...