Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering he said they are delivering model y as we speak I’m starting to think Austin will be delivering LR and P without any formal announcement.
I dunno. if they had good news on the MYLR/P front, seems like they would have said so.
It feels like they’re laying low because the batteries came out heavier for the same power and the battery day claims are looking pretty -- let’s be nice and say “aggressive.” ... and they’re still trying to figure out how to spin this. Maybe there will be improvements, but falling 50 miles of EPA range short for the same car weight?... sure they will have a software upgrade or something that pumps it 10 miles or something eventually... but that’s a big gap to cross, and the car isn’t a prototype, its being delivered now, if only to employees.
They’re locked into making a ton of 4680s in the future, and if they don’t perform as well as the current batteries its a problem. It lets cheaper competitors get that much closer.
Hope im wrong, but in meanwhile my Fremont build cant get here quick enough.

It was a good party -- man, those drones! and unlike some I kind of liked Elon’s delivery. He’s got his own style and its not bad. Needed to ignore random people spouting crap in the audience -- "how many hamsters will gigafactory hold?"
but the product discussion felt like they were trying to get over or hide something. CT coming next year! again. Robot has a shot at production next year! a shot. Now Y’s being delivered! uh... what kind of Y? delivered to who?

Last edited:
I dunno. if they had good news on the MYLR/P front, seems like they would have said so.
It feels like they’re laying low because the batteries came out heavier for the same power and the battery day claims are looking pretty -- let’s be nice and say “aggressive.” ... and they’re still trying to figure out how to spin this. Maybe there will be improvements, but falling 50 miles of EPA range short for the same car weight?... sure they will have a software upgrade or something that pumps it 10 miles or something eventually... but that’s a big gap to cross, and the car isn’t a prototype, its being delivered now, if only to employees.
They’re locked into making a ton of 4680s in the future, and if they don’t perform as well as the current batteries its a problem. It lets cheaper competitors get that much closer.
Hope im wrong, but in meanwhile my Fremont build cant get here quick enough.

It was a good party -- man, those drones! and unlike some I kind of liked Elon’s delivery. He’s got his own style and its not bad. Needed to ignore random people spouting crap in the audience -- "how many hamsters will gigafactory hold?"
but the product discussion felt like they were trying to get over or hide something. CT coming next year! again. Robot has a shot at production next year! a shot. Now Y’s being delivered! uh... what kind of Y? delivered to who?
Yeah the CT is already late but needs the 4680, the semi is late, the roadster late. All that needs the 4680 and I don't like seeing that it continues to have issues. It's a brilliant idea.

Reactions: Aviateur17
Yea, there was nothing that could have been said last night which could have stopped me from taking delivery. I need the car and just want to get this over with. Besides the car has better features then were available when I ordered in september .

I'll have the opportunity for 4680's when I get the Cyber Truck , Likely 2025 or 2026 depending upon how many people actually take delivery before me. Maybe FSD will actually exist then as well.

That being said, if there are any issues when I go to pick up I'll just leave it there. I won't take delivery for even minor issues, they can fix it there and I'll come back and if they still aren't fixed I'll reject. I want the car but after such a long wait and needing to upgrade to take delivery I'm going to expect more from them.
Completely agreed. I do wish for the rear cover though to incr sound dampening from the rear in check. Other then that, I’m happy with taking as ordered. I pushed mine from March 12th original EDD.

Minor stuff ie. trim alignment they usually do on the spot. I’m also ok with making an immediate appt for initial del checklist stuff.
Any paint issues they usually get done/buff on the spot as I tell them car is going to ppf that same day. The SC guys all know the ppf shop and he’s the best. So they try their best to accommodate. Happy with dual pane and heated wipers plus hearing AS tires smoother and quieter.

Already have my Michelin AS 295/35/21’s ready to install on the rear and put the 275/35’s on the front rim. The oem stretched look not my thing for curb rash.
I’ll sell the 255 tires separately. :)

Reactions: advocate8
Based on just facts that I tried to gather last few days, I am going to take the delivery in this summer regardless MIF or MIA.
- I don't even know if I am allowed to hold my order in Canada.
- I bought way too much stuff already for the car and my wife is starting to notice.
- I don't want to pay another cent more for Trudeau's ridiculous carbon tax.

there's never been any question that the battery packs can be varied / configured to specific kWh rating. Tesla can make them whatever capacity they want / need.
Just use inert cells to fill it out as needed. The battery casings are actually the stressed elements, cheap steel, with the whole pack acting as a structural element.
The external pack size is consistent. The quantity of active cells inside can vary. Same chassis manufacturing process regardless. Very flexible, fast, profitable.

The internet blog marketing Master Class continues.
Only Tesla knows, what they dish is carefully controlled but seemingly innocently random.
No company has ever been so casual in presentation but controlling in reality.
Only Tesla knows, but they're not telling ....just yet.
Until someone cuts one open for a youtube presentation and then everyone knows. It's not a secret after say 90 days after deliveries.

Meanwhile I have been enjoying my MYP for 8 weeks now while all the fools that thought it was going to be a complete dinosaur have been putting their “Austin built” MYP on hold because they actually thought the drone drivers, YTers and Tweeters actually had ONE fact when they have had zero still to this day.

Again until someone that actually works on the inside and is willing to risk their job for disclosing info that they are not allowed to or an actual car shows up in a customers driveway this is purely just an entertainment thread.

So glad we did not delay our delivery.

Ah yes we will see all the "holders" now taking their MYP's off hold. Of course until the new "speculations" and tweets from "insiders" happen then the hold game will begin again. Enjoy your P's, I sure have and they are a blast.
Damn bro, who hurt you? Go get some air...

Fact is, we actually somehow know less now than we did before the event, so at this point anything can happen.

I think so. But don't post that in the investment thread because man...they can't stand a realistic thought there. I've come to conclude it is not actually the investment thread it is the Pie in the Sky thread. Clearly something is up with the 4680 production. After 1 year they had cells for 1200 cars. It's going to require some incredible scaling to get past there. Or..they lack some critical materials/components. Or that the battery cell/pack weight is coming in far higher than spec'd or something.

Considering he said they are delivering model y as we speak I’m starting to think Austin will be delivering LR and P without any formal announcement.
Why? You take quote A and immediately turn it into quite A+B+C=Z. There has only been one type of car pictured at Austin, one type certified by EPA, one type spotted in public with Austin VINs yet you still think they are secretly making MYP? Until you see red calipers sitting on the parking apron, they aren’t making them and secretly storing them 500ft underground away from the drones.

Was sent a pic of a MYP in blue deconstructed had red calipers etc with battery pack. Does that imply Austin will build MYP?
No, it’s a demonstration. Probably just painted that way for looks.

I think this is Elon playing with us/media. You couldn't buy an ad campaign charged as this one. I know you can pick this apart but it's my not so strong opinion.
A summation of what we know (for my explanation) is the leaked information of the EPA info and someone at the show showing us the screen of an Austin built Standard MY. Too much conspiracy theory?
How convenient that the Big Secret Model Y had the power on, sitting in the middle of the floor with a stranger taking video of the screen. No flags? I think it's all to make us go astray, talk about it until the sun comes up, get the word out that everyone wants one of these and all the innovations. This plant could build the Hertz order in 3 months. No one can foretell but I believe same size structural battery packs with different configurations could be replaced on the line without much of an interruption. Remember, Elon said it's the factory that's the innovation.
Um, the EPA documents weren’t leaked. It’s public information that Tesla is required to submit. It’s not a calculated action. They have people sitting in cars that they are producing. If they were making MYP the video would have been in a MYP. All this backs up the fact that Tesla is a business and any business that would produce 2 different LR MY from different factories with different specs shipped to different people is a company that won’t be in business much longer. That’s not a smart thing to do and they haven’t done that. Whether by plan or because the physical engineering didn’t meet the hypothetical engineering, we will likely never know but that’s how it is.

Hard to believe we still don’t know what is being delivered from Austin and to whom.

The waiting continues…
Model Y Standard Dual Motor. Whether only to employees or no, we don’t know, correct.

Pretty disappointing in the information shared last night about MIT MY, and moreso that my delivery date hasn't changed this morning. Gonna be a few hundred more posts of speculation on this thread that I had hoped would end.
It’s a factory opening celebration, not a model launch party. Pay attention to facts and you won’t be disappointed. You will know what’s going to happen. There doesn’t need to be more speculation. Until drones show a different model being produced or the online website allows ordering of a different model, no need to speculate. If anything, last night proved that you should pay attention to known facts and draw conclusions from them, not from baseless hype that is only geared to make money.

I think so. But don't post that in the investment thread because man...they can't stand a realistic thought there. I've come to conclude it is not actually the investment thread it is the Pie in the Sky thread. Clearly something is up with the 4680 production. After 1 year they had cells for 1200 cars. It's going to require some incredible scaling to get past there. Or..they lack some critical materials/components. Or that the battery cell/pack weight is coming in far higher than spec'd or something.
Yes, I think something is up with 4680 cells and the standard range awd is them improvising the situation. We will have to learn if they are using full capacity if they structural battery pack to achieve 279 mi range or if there are in fact dummy cells. If they are using full capacity that would indicate 4680 failing to meet expectations. The second option would support selling more cars with less cells perhaps because 4680 supply isn’t there.

After watching Tesla and following news events for the last 7 years. You come to realize that the Tesla Events are only ad commercials. You only get real info on Tesla from Twitter and YouTube Tesla owner’s. The event was nice. I loved the Drones. I hope my Model Y delivery comes from Texas. I don’t really care by now. After waiting 5 month’s. For a MYLR 20 inch. I look forward to getting a CyberTruck with the New Cell’s in a couple of years. When they start cranking out them out.

Reactions: chinokie and rhk109
I'm not dismissing the notion that the SR AWD is the only thing being produced at Austin right now. But under that pretense, Tesla literally just opened the largest factory in the world to produce a one-off vehicle that's not even available to the public yet? Even if that is a relatively short-term scenario (6-12 months) it's still a massive efficiency gap and frankly just doesn't make sense.

I'd have to imagine that heads will be rolling at the exec level if that really proves to be the case.