Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not dismissing the notion that the SR AWD is the only thing being produced at Austin right now. But under that pretense, Tesla literally just opened the largest factory in the world to produce a one-off vehicle that's not even available to the public yet? Even if that is a relatively short-term scenario (6-12 months) it's still a massive efficiency gap and frankly just doesn't make sense.
Yep. They can’t fulfill the orders they have. Making a new trim doesn’t really help them do that unless they offer it to their current orders first

I'm not dismissing the notion that the SR AWD is the only thing being produced at Austin right now. But under that pretense, Tesla literally just opened the largest factory in the world to produce a one-off vehicle that's not even available to the public yet? Even if that is a relatively short-term scenario (6-12 months) it's still a massive efficiency gap and frankly just doesn't make sense.

I'd have to imagine that heads will be rolling at the exec level if that really proves to be the case.
I can see a scenario that once production is ramped then they upgrade the LR and P to use 4680 or they figure out how to get the standard AWD range on par with the current MYLR and sunset the 2170 MYLR. Then keep 2170 for MYP. Obviously all speculation but fun to think about.

Reactions: advocate8
Yes, I think something is up with 4680 cells and the standard range awd is them improvising the situation. We will have to learn if they are using full capacity if they structural battery pack to achieve 279 mi range or if there are in fact dummy cells. If they are using full capacity that would indicate 4680 failing to meet expectations. The second option would support selling more cars with less cells perhaps because 4680 supply isn’t there.

I don't think anything is up with the cells. They just opened a factory which is suppose to deliver up to 500k a year and they are currently able to produce less then 1000 a month (2.4% capacity) . The fact that they did not announce the SR but had it there for people to see means they are planning something.

They are moving these cars somewhere . I think they purposly did not deliver anything in march or they would have had to report it as part of Q1, they now have 3 months to produce cars and up their battery capacity . No matter when they start selling the SR I expect them to sell out immediatly.

I think this is Elon playing with us/media. You couldn't buy an ad campaign charged as this one. I know you can pick this apart but it's my not so strong opinion.
A summation of what we know (for my explanation) is the leaked information of the EPA info and someone at the show showing us the screen of an Austin built Standard MY. Too much conspiracy theory?
How convenient that the Big Secret Model Y had the power on, sitting in the middle of the floor with a stranger taking video of the screen. No flags? I think it's all to make us go astray, talk about it until the sun comes up, get the word out that everyone wants one of these and all the innovations. This plant could build the Hertz order in 3 months. No one can foretell but I believe same size structural battery packs with different configurations could be replaced on the line without much of an interruption. Remember, Elon said it's the factory that's the innovation.
Anything they didn’t want you to see was put up.

I don't think anything is up with the cells. They just opened a factory which is suppose to deliver up to 500k a year and they are currently able to produce less then 1000 a month (2.4% capacity) . The fact that they did not announce the SR but had it there for people to see means they are planning something.

They are moving these cars somewhere . I think they purposly did not deliver anything in march or they would have had to report it as part of Q1, they now have 3 months to produce carsnd up their battery capacity . No matter when they start selling the SR I expect them to sell out immediatly.
The 1K/month cell number was from Jan. for the Kato Rd. factory and may by now have increased. For me the one piece of news from Elon's presentation was Austin is already producing 4680 cells and structural packs. If true that's great mews. but we have no info on the total cell production capacity per month.

Last edited:
I think the difference with Berlin opening is telling. There were people posting videos immediately with their Berlin cars. Not so with the Texas “deliveries”. Makes me think these are only going out to employees or maybe a large customer like Hertz.

I bet it's Hertz. What better way to ramp up production than to build and perfect one vehicle type with less range and possibly fewer 4680 batteries. Besides, there wouldn't be much fanfare handing over vehicles to the Hertz CEO.

Everyone seems surprised by elons lack of public speaking and presentation skills but he’s like that at any event. And he doesn’t care, even though any other company would get a real speaker

Give me Elon *any* day. He is substantial, honest, and often times funny. A garden variety CEO spouts platitudes and mealy-mouth nothings.

Why? You take quote A and immediately turn it into quite A+B+C=Z. There has only been one type of car pictured at Austin, one type certified by EPA, one type spotted in public with Austin VINs yet you still think they are secretly making MYP? Until you see red calipers sitting on the parking apron, they aren’t making them and secretly storing them 500ft underground away from the drones.

No, it’s a demonstration. Probably just painted that way for looks.

Um, the EPA documents weren’t leaked. It’s public information that Tesla is required to submit. It’s not a calculated action. They have people sitting in cars that they are producing. If they were making MYP the video would have been in a MYP. All this backs up the fact that Tesla is a business and any business that would produce 2 different LR MY from different factories with different specs shipped to different people is a company that won’t be in business much longer. That’s not a smart thing to do and they haven’t done that. Whether by plan or because the physical engineering didn’t meet the hypothetical engineering, we will likely never know but that’s how it is.

Model Y Standard Dual Motor. Whether only to employees or no, we don’t know, correct.

It’s a factory opening celebration, not a model launch party. Pay attention to facts and you won’t be disappointed. You will know what’s going to happen. There doesn’t need to be more speculation. Until drones show a different model being produced or the online website allows ordering of a different model, no need to speculate. If anything, last night proved that you should pay attention to known facts and draw conclusions from them, not from baseless hype that is only geared to make money.

Not taking quote a and turning it into a b or c. I’m literally taking quote a and taking it as is. I’m not going to over analyze it like you guys here. He said they are delivering model y as we speak out of giga Texas. I just checked the website. Only long range and performance available. Until things change that’s what I’m going with. Not going to speculate about some secret model. You guys are the one that took some information like epa certification and drew up some wild design that there’s another model here and there. I’m not doing that. Until the website is updated I’m going with what is on telsa website. If they make an myp cool. If not cool. Don’t matter to me. Y’all like to be wrong and right for no reason. He said they delivering model y out of giga Texas. So far on the website it’s long range and performance. That’s what I’ll go with.

Last edited:
Tesla refusing to even speak about the completely new Model Y AWD with seemingly different price and range, despite examples of them sitting on the parking lot at the factory party makes them LOOK very self conscious about the topic.

It'll all sort out soon enough, but it is a bit weird. Can you imagine Apple rolling out an iPhone SE, saying it's shipping, but refusing to actually say the word "SE" nor offer a single public spec or price on the thing?

Not taking quote a and turning it into a b or c. I’m literally taking quote a and taking it as is. I’m not going to over analyze it like you guys here. He said they are delivering model y as we speak out of giga Texas. I just checked the website. Only long range and performance available. Until things change that’s what I’m going with. Not going to speculate.
So you are speculating that they are building a MYLR or MYP with 4680 structural pack?

I bet it's Hertz. What better way to ramp up production than to build and perfect one vehicle type with less range and possibly fewer 4680 batteries. Besides, there wouldn't be much fanfare handing over vehicles to the Hertz CEO.

I don't know why this rumor won't die. Musk has stated that there is no contract with Hertz to deliver Model Y. If Hertz is adding Model Y to their fleet they would be placing orders like any other customer, not getting a special Austin production vehicle that they did special contracts with Tesla to obtain.

So you are speculating that they are building a MYLR or MYP with 4680 structural pack?
How is that speculating? The website hasn’t changed. Until it does then it does. Why does that matter? Y’all get so bunched up about predicting what’s going to happen. Who knows. Whatever is available to the public via the website to sell is what I’m going with because that’s what tesla is putting out there. Until tesla changes the website then no one knows.

How is that speculating? The website hasn’t changed. Until it does then it does. Why does that matter? Y’all get so bunched up about predicting what’s going to happen. Who knows. Whatever is available to the public via the website to sell is what I’m going with because that’s what tesla is putting out there. Until tesla changes the website then no one knows.

I agree, this speculation is getting tiring.

Based on how fast Tesla was able to ramp the Shanghai plant Austin should be cranking out 10K cars per month in less than 90 days. At that point we will know more about what is going on.

Tesla refusing to even speak about the completely new Model Y AWD with seemingly different price and range, despite examples of them sitting on the parking lot at the factory party makes them LOOK very self conscious about the topic.

It'll all sort out soon enough, but it is a bit weird. Can you imagine Apple rolling out an iPhone SE, saying it's shipping, but refusing to actually say the word "SE" nor offer a single public spec or price on the thing?
Announcing a 279 mile range model is not exciting, not matter how you slice it. That's probably why they didn't.

I don't know why this rumor won't die. Musk has stated that there is no contract with Hertz to deliver Model Y. If Hertz is adding Model Y to their fleet they would be placing orders like any other customer, not getting a special Austin production vehicle that they did special contracts with Tesla to obtain.

Though it states 330 mile range.

so, go to the local showroom, introduce yourself, take a test drive.
chat with an SA, develop a relationship and get what info you can. Just like everyone in the real world.
Don't expect the internet to come to you. Oh....too late. Everyone thinks that it does.....
Lots of assumptions in here that no effort has been made by me. I have to respond.

Scheduled a test drive in Sept 21. Met a good SA and kept in contact with him during September. Ordered a MYLR on October 1st and worked with him when I ordered it to make sure my profile was all set. He even did the right thing in recommending that I select the Cash option because delivery was 6+ months away. Had no need to contact him until early Feb. (At the time my EDD was Feb 15th 2022). Reached out to him and he responded and said that he no longer worked for Tesla. He responded even though he did not need to. He recommended I call the Austin office. This is where the poor service begins.

Tried to contact someone and found myself transferred to some centralized service. Person was put out that I was even bothering him and was in a bad mood. I gave up with that person. Tried another day and got a different person. I told them that I was looking for another SA so that I could develop a relationship with them. This person was also not helpful.

I received a text in early Feb from a Fremont number asking about my trade in. I do not have a Trade in so I had no idea why I was being asked this and I had done everything I could with my profile. I responded to the text per the request and figured it was all done.
Then a few weeks later I get a call from Tesla at Fremont asking the same Trade in question that I had already responded to. Clearly the Text process did not work. I told this person that my SA no longer worked for Tesla and asked if he could have someone else contact me. He said he would. Nothing was done.

I then tried again to find an SA by using the chat option on the Tesla web site. That person was very helpful and said that they would contact the Austin location and ask them to contact me. She also provided their email address and recommended that I send them an email, which I did.

Many weeks have passed and not a single response to the email.

I have responded to the text chat that started when I scheduled the test drive and ordered the vehicle. Nobody ever responds.

This is my first Tesla and thus far, I am not impressed by the purchase experience.

I have owned many brands and purchased many cars. I have experienced it all buying from dealers. The good and the bad.

I will save my final judgement for the Tesla buying experience until I have taken delivery.

The communication so far has been awful and they give me zero confidence that when I do finally take delivery, its going to be an easy process.

I really think that this is where Tesla is failing and I think it will come back to bite them unless things improve.
As other OEMs start pushing out their own good EVs, people might think twice about a Tesla due to the service they get when ordering a vehicle.

I want Tesla to succeed and I wish we had Tesla employees on this forum who could share why its so bad for so many of us.