Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not dismissing the notion that the SR AWD is the only thing being produced at Austin right now. But under that pretense, Tesla literally just opened the largest factory in the world to produce a one-off vehicle that's not even available to the public yet? Even if that is a relatively short-term scenario (6-12 months) it's still a massive efficiency gap and frankly just doesn't make sense.

I'd have to imagine that heads will be rolling at the exec level if that really proves to be the case.
Whos to say it’s a one off? Telling the world you’ll have a 400 mile MY from Texas then needing to walk that back or not deliver at all would be much much worse efficiency. There’d be 0 vehicles being produced. There are always growing pains for new facilities. Tesla has found a way to work through these while still producing and selling vehicles. Once the initial customers (employees/Tesla Energy/show rooms/etc) are worked through, we may see this avaliable to order and anyone with a current reservation would be able to downgrade to this if they want.

The 1K/month cell number was from Jan. for the Kato Rd. factory and may by now have increased. For me the one piece of news from Elon's presentation was Austin is already producing 4680 cells and structural packs. If true that's great mews. but we have no info on the total cell production capacity per month.
He said 1000 cars, not cells. The 1 million cells is around 1000 cars. I am very interested as to why we haven’t seen drone video of cell production. There are many windows in this area and we have seen great videos of the machinery, just not in action. I believe making packs from Kato cells but not Austin produced cells.

Not taking quote a and turning it into a b or c. I’m literally taking quote a and taking it as is. I’m not going to over analyze it like you guys here. He said they are delivering model y as we speak out of giga Texas. I just checked the website. Only long range and performance available. Until things change that’s what I’m going with. Not going to speculate about some secret model. You guys are the one that took some information like epa certification and drew up some wild design that there’s another model here and there. I’m not doing that. Until the website is updated I’m going with what is on telsa website. If they make an myp cool. If not cool. Don’t matter to me. Y’all like to be wrong and right for no reason. He said they delivering model y out of giga Texas. So far on the website it’s long range and performance. That’s what I’ll go with.
The quote as is is “Texas is producing 4680 Model Ys”. There is nothing to say what type yet you are inferring from what you can order that they are only producing what’s on the website. If this was true, then you’ve been able to order Austin Model Y since 2020 because that’s what’s on the website. The website doesn’t say which factory you are ordering from.

There is no speculating or wild design on a secret model. Public documents show it is being built. People have seen them in public. They were on display at the rodeo yet you still deny the Standard Dual Motor Model Y exists. It is what they are making at Texas. Saying any other model is being built currently is speculation.

How is that speculating? The website hasn’t changed. Until it does then it does. Why does that matter? Y’all get so bunched up about predicting what’s going to happen. Who knows. Whatever is available to the public via the website to sell is what I’m going with because that’s what tesla is putting out there. Until tesla changes the website then no one knows.
They can make cars without selling the, on the website. They have built in customers (employees). Tesla Energy, showrooms etc. Theynhave many outlets for “deliveries” Without having to offer them for sale to the public. What is on the website and always has been on the website is Fremont cars. There is nothing on the website saying you are ordering from Texas yet you seem dead sure people ordering LR and P MY are getting them from Texas because “that’s what’s on the website.”

I'm not trying to make a point other than trying to connect the dots. Hertz currently rents the Standard Model Y. Am I wrong to assume they have been made at the Fremont factory? If so, would there be a reason to move manufacturing of a specific model from one facility to another?
I do believe that GigaTexas facility is very flexible and could change trims or battery configuration at a drop of a hat.
Where do you have information saying what Hertz is renting? There was a Standard range MY in 2021 (single motor) available for only a couple months. This new standard Dual Motor just had initial deliveries yesterday. Do you have info that these were delivered to Hertz?

Whos to say it’s a one off? Telling the world you’ll have a 400 mile MY from Texas then needing to walk that back or not deliver at all would be much much worse efficiency. There’d be 0 vehicles being produced. There are always growing pains for new facilities. Tesla has found a way to work through these while still producing and selling vehicles. Once the initial customers (employees/Tesla Energy/show rooms/etc) are worked through, we may see this avaliable to order and anyone with a current reservation would be able to downgrade to this if they want.

He said 1000 cars, not cells. The 1 million cells is around 1000 cars. I am very interested as to why we haven’t seen drone video of cell production. There are many windows in this area and we have seen great videos of the machinery, just not in action. I believe making packs from Kato cells but not Austin produced cells.

The quote as is is “Texas is producing 4680 Model Ys”. There is nothing to say what type yet you are inferring from what you can order that they are only producing what’s on the website. If this was true, then you’ve been able to order Austin Model Y since 2020 because that’s what’s on the website. The website doesn’t say which factory you are ordering from.

There is no speculating or wild design on a secret model. Public documents show it is being built. People have seen them in public. They were on display at the rodeo yet you still deny the Standard Dual Motor Model Y exists. It is what they are making at Texas. Saying any other model is being built currently is speculation.

They can make cars without selling the, on the website. They have built in customers (employees). Tesla Energy, showrooms etc. Theynhave many outlets for “deliveries” Without having to offer them for sale to the public. What is on the website and always has been on the website is Fremont cars. There is nothing on the website saying you are ordering from Texas yet you seem dead sure people ordering LR and P MY are getting them from Texas because “that’s what’s on the website.”

Where do you have information saying what Hertz is renting? There was a Standard range MY in 2021 (single motor) available for only a couple months. This new standard Dual Motor just had initial deliveries yesterday. Do you have info that these were delivered to Hertz?

Giga Austin wasn’t even up and running in 2020. So try again. No one here implying anything more than what tesla is putting out there. ELON said (1) model y are being delivered out of Austin as we speak. (2) No other options available on the website. Until tesla confirms and website allows different options, everything else is pure speculation.

If you can dispute 1 and 2 with facts then you have a good argument going.

Giga Austin wasn’t even up and running in 2020. So try again. No one here implying anything more than what tesla is putting out there. ELON said (1) model y are being delivered out of Austin as we speak. (2) No other options available on the website. Until tesla confirms and website allows different options, everything else is pure speculation.

If you can dispute 1 and 2 with facts then you have a good argument going.
Why are you so focused on the website and ignoring what was actually in the factory and in-line with the recent EPA filing?

Regarding what is being built in Austin today ...

I'm mildly interested for only one reason:

Up to now I've taken it as given that Tesla will first produce the most profitable product. It would be an interesting change if this time it is different. As for when people get *their* car -- that is much more a question of ramp.

Reactions: advocate8

I rechecked my source and I messed up completely. Hertz has the Standard Model Y on their website but does not rent them yet, only the Standard Model 3.
Thank you for leaving me a way out of my error!

Why are you so focused on the website and ignoring what was actually in the factory and in-line with the recent EPA filing?

Maybe he's focused on the website because Austin is clearly building Model Ys that aren't available for order or delivery to non Tesla employees.

I mean, where are these 280 mile range cars going? Are they offering discounts on them to people in the queue and they have to sign an NDA to not talk about it?

LOL.

I don't know why you guys are still arguing when the thing exists and is shown in the Tesla Raj video. If you watch the video it's showing 53 miles range at 19% charge. Doing the math properly results in 279 mile range (rounded up). It says Standard Dual Motor on the screen with an Austin VIN.

The only question that is left is now is not IF it exists, it is WHY it exists? Why make this thing?

I don't know why you guys are still arguing when the thing exists and is shown in the Tesla Raj video. If you watch the video it's showing 53 miles range at 19% charge. Doing the math properly results in 279 mile range (rounded up). It says Standard Dual Motor on the screen with an Austin VIN.

The only question that is left is now is not IF it exists, it is WHY it exists? Why make this thing?
By that same logic, the CT and Roadster 2 exist too, they were there in the flesh. What that means? Absolutely nothing at the moment.

The why part is super easy, they can build these cars with far fewer cells than the LR ones. It makes perfect sense if they are cell constrained.

Reactions: advocate8
The price for a Standard range would have to be so much lower than current long range prices. For me to consider it. It would have to be $50,000-$52,000 starting price. Once you get in a $7000-$10,000 range from the long range model y’s price. It’s only a few more bucks a month. If you were financing. In real life driving. The model y standard range would probably be 220-240 miles. I would gladly pay more for 40-50 more miles.

The price for a Standard range would have to be so much lower than current long range prices. For me to consider it. It would have to be $50,000-$52,000 starting price. Once you get in a $7000-$10,000 range from the long range model y’s price. It’s only a few more bucks a month. If you were financing. In real life driving. The model y standard range would probably be 220-240 miles. I would gladly pay more for 40-50 more miles.

Model 3 standard range is I believe a $9k discount - but it's also a single motor car.

My guess is if they sell the MYAWD it'll be in the mid to upper 50's

It's literally 10% less range so I would expect 10% less price if all the other features are the same.

Reactions: Jones1