Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got totally F'd with my VIN today.

That is, I got a VIN that is coming from Fremont - with an "F" in the 11th digit - and not the "A" I thought might be a remote possibility, especially if my VIN was pushed back a few more weeks. I'm totally excited and completed all my delivery tasks - just awaiting a delivery appointment. I knew it wasn't likely, but was still hoping that maybe I'd wind up with an early Austin build with 4680s, ventilated seats, and who knows what else. But my price is $6500 below current pricing so I'm stoked. And my texts with the SA confirmed the AMD chip. EDD went from Jan 17- Jan 27 before VIN assignment and completion of tasks, to Jan 16 - Jan 22 - does that mean my car is here in Arizona? Or on the truck? How long does it take to get a delivery appointment offered?

MYLR, blue/black/5 seater/tow, OD 5.17.21; on hold early Sept-early Dec
Once you complete insurance and accept Tesla Vision you should be able to set an appointment. That will tell you where your vehicle is. They usually assign VINs right before your vehicle is built and it should be built within 1-2 days of that then shipped. If they have a truck available and enough AZ orders to fill it, it should take 2 days to get to AZ. So figure it’ll be there in 3-4 days, a day to prep so your 3 day delivery window will likely be Jan 20-22.

My recent VIN assignment and post VIN change in EDD was Jan 15-20 and my available delivery days were Jan 18-20.

A few logical things to consider. Fremont can and does produce Y's all day long, right? Austin's facility was built inside-out, while capable of production it still is not a complete facility, right? If you were in the car making business and new tech was available, which facility would you send your materials to for production? You can send new tech to a facility all day long for stock purposes, just because a drone saw it doesn't mean it's going straight to the assembly line. If you built new manufacturing tech into a facility would you halt production due to missing components of a promised projected model? Most likely not. Timelines change, we all know this by now. Personally, I think hopes for an Austin produced vehicle with tech perks but without a price increase would a dream. But if Austin was capable of producing Fremont style Y's wouldn't you use this to your advantage?
Orders of a current model need to be filled, how can that be done?

I agree we need to keep an eye on what is happening at Fremont. The latest drone flyover I have found is shown below:

As further evidence to Tesla's sensitivity to the drone flyovers, The guy doing these videos lately was confronted by Tesla Security during this last one.

This flyer has been running low and slow along the Kato Road facility (like under 20 feet in the air).
There's literally nothing to see at Kato Road. It's a building with few windows and everything is inside. But the guy is another captive to internet battery hype.

But Tesla hasn't confronted anyone much to date, seemingly encouraging it.
So this departure from the norm by Security might signal a change is in the works that Tesla doesn't want telegraphed.

Reactions: mdsco and pcmike
My order for a MY-LR had been in "June Jail" for an EDD for the past 6+ weeks but that changed to 5-31 March as of this morning. Several other forum members with MYs on orders have very recently also got out of June Jail. Perhaps (just speculation) this is an indication that Tesla is getting their production and delivery schedules updated to reflect: (1) expected startup and ramp-up estimates for Austin production and (2) any Fremont downtime for updates to the MY production line to bring their MYs to the same configuration as will be produced in Austin.

As I reported earlier. my local Tesla sales/service/delivery center has been told to expect a new MY demo vehicle to reach them on 1/24 (take that exact date "as soon as") and it will be from Austin. Perhaps this is a clue that they expect Austin production to begin this week. If that is the case, then I would expect Fremont to upgrade their MY production to match the configuration of the MYs coming out of Austin. In any case, the next couple of weeks should be interesting, in terms of Tesla news.
Just trying to keep expectations where they need to be.

It will take at least 3-4 days for a vehicle to exit Austin and get hauled to Florida. So 1/20 for evidence of vehicles leaving Austin. Tesla has never been shy about announcing production. Heck, they showed and announced pre-production at Shanghai and that was 2-3 months before public deliveries. None of that has happened at Austin yet. And they won’t ship the first vehicles off the production line to service centers as demos. Hell service centers can’t even keep demos during normal times.

Add to that Tesla won’t make like 15-20 test vehicles and then start making 100+ a day. Not how it works. There will be at least a hundred+ vehicles made as preproduction and validation before they start any public deliveries. And while Austin is huge I promise they aren’t hiding 100+ cars in there. Maybe 10-20 but we’d have likely seen photos of that too. And it’s not like Tesla is super secret like Apple.

Long story short. We should take SA comments with a heady dose of suspicion and doubt. Including when they will get Austin demos. Tesla has never ever hid production or startup progress. And it was a 3 month ramp from pre-prod to prod in Shanghai. So will they beat that? Probably. But it won’t be in the next week. Im holding to my timeline. Late Jan for announcement (26th likely with the update) and March to beat quarter end for public deliveries.

A few logical things to consider. Fremont can and does produce Y's all day long, right? Austin's facility was built inside-out, while capable of production it still is not a complete facility, right? If you were in the car making business and new tech was available, which facility would you send your materials to for production? You can send new tech to a facility all day long for stock purposes, just because a drone saw it doesn't mean it's going straight to the assembly line. If you built new manufacturing tech into a facility would you halt production due to missing components of a promised projected model? Most likely not. Timelines change, we all know this by now. Personally, I think hopes for an Austin produced vehicle with tech perks but without a price increase would a dream. But if Austin was capable of producing Fremont style Y's wouldn't you use this to your advantage?
Orders of a current model need to be filled, how can that be done?
The argument is Tesla's.
They claim significant benefits to the new chassis build, in time and cost to manufacture, and benefits to the customer.
Fewer robots needed, faster production, keep the battery margins currently paid to Panasonic, deliver more cars, make better margins.
Further, the logistics of supply chains and deliveries argue for consistency across factories.
And it's hard to capture (and keep) market share if you make a mess of that.

These are all public statements from Elon and Engineering Staff, consistently voiced, and of course expounded upon by all the blogs (uh).

Both Front and Rear Megacasts have been being made in Fremont since August/September, and likewise in Austin. All are documented via flyovers.
It implies both factories will be manufacturing a consistent type of chassis.
They're just preparing for the day 4680 is suffciently available. It's later than planned.

Long Term, I agree that it's highly likely that Austin will become the primary MY factory, and CT, and maybe Semi.
Fremont will become prototype and low volume vehicles. Likely staying with MS, MX. Maybe Roadster, who knows? Only Tesla!
Elon wants as much profit OUT OF CALIFORNIA as he can possibly move. That seems clear as well.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
... Fremont will become prototype and low volume vehicles. ...
Fremont is producing half a million cars per year and Elon said it would grow substantially. Upgrades planned over next two years. Expect Fremont to outproduce Austin for next couple of years.
Here Elon says he hopes Fremount will expand output by 50%. That would mean 750K cars per year. There are like zero other car plants producing that many cars.
54:25 into the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus
Doesn't the MY have an interior refresh pending to match what's being produced in Shanghai? I wonder if that's the significance of the Jan 24 date. Coincidentally I tried arranging a test drive of a MY in early Jan but was told all of them demos had been sold in my area and I could to Orlando to see one in the showroom. My SA then said she could arrange an overnight test drive anytime after Jan 24. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now (MYP on order) but after seeing others mention the Jan 24 date I thought it might be too much of a coincidence.

Doesn't the MY have an interior refresh pending to match what's being produced in Shanghai? I wonder if that's the significance of the Jan 24 date. Coincidentally I tried arranging a test drive of a MY in early Jan but was told all of them demos had been sold in my area and I could to Orlando to see one in the showroom. My SA then said she could arrange an overnight test drive anytime after Jan 24. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks now (MYP on order) but after seeing others mention the Jan 24 date I thought it might be too much of a coincidence.
I suspect Tesla is updating the showroom/demo MYs so the version the customer sees is what they can expect to get if they order one.

Fremont is producing half a million cars per year and Elon said it would grow substantially. Upgrades planned over next two years. Expect Fremont to outproduce Austin for next couple of years.
Here Elon says he hopes Fremount will expand output by 50%. That would mean 750K cars per year. There are like zero other car plants producing that many cars.
54:25 into the video.
Long Term, several years. I still expect Elon to de-emphasize Fremont.
But until the backlog is worked down, and Austin is full steam, Fremont will still pump them out, and yes, likely grow in the meantime.

Just ordered a Model Y Performance and Model Y AWD to lock in FSD price and to ensure I get one or both cars from Austin. I plan to hold until 4680s are confirmed, and until initial growing pains at Austin are worked out. I really want the MYP, but March delivery may be too soon to work out the bugs. If Tesla gets impatient with my hold and cancels the MYP order (I am willing to sacrifice the $250), then the AWD which has a July 2022 delivery date serves as the backup (also with $10k FSD locked).

I am a March 2016 line waiter, and have an early build LR RWD Model 3. Love the car, but had lots of issues with the early build. Tesla fixed everything, but would prefer not to serve as a guinea pig again with early build Austin Model Y. I'm also in the FSDbeta program, and feel the $10k is totally worth it.

I wish Tesla provided more information about Austin Model Y's (such as will they have 4680's, range increase, new colors, etc) before the FSD price increase. Since they haven't, I decided to run this "experiment" which may cost me $250 (but ultimately saves money relative to ordering in two weeks, when Elon provides the product roadmap update, when FSD price is+$2k).

Will aim to keep you all updated on delivery timeline and how Tesla handles delivery holds with this double Model Y order.

• Funny
Reactions: mwdietertg
Just ordered a Model Y Performance and Model Y AWD to lock in FSD price and to ensure I get one or both cars from Austin. I plan to hold until 4680s are confirmed, and until initial growing pains at Austin are worked out. I really want the MYP, but March delivery may be too soon to work out the bugs. If Tesla gets impatient with my hold and cancels the MYP order (I am willing to sacrifice the $250), then the AWD which has a July 2022 delivery date serves as the backup (also with $10k FSD locked).

I am a March 2016 line waiter, and have an early build LR RWD Model 3. Love the car, but had lots of issues with the early build. Tesla fixed everything, but would prefer not to serve as a guinea pig again with early build Austin Model Y. I'm also in the FSDbeta program, and feel the $10k is totally worth it.

I wish Tesla provided more information about Austin Model Y's (such as will they have 4680's, range increase, new colors, etc) before the FSD price increase. Since they haven't, I decided to run this "experiment" which may cost me $250 (but ultimately saves money relative to ordering in two weeks, when Elon provides the product roadmap update, when FSD price is+$2k).

Will aim to keep you all updated on delivery timeline and how Tesla handles delivery holds with this double Model Y order.
I decided against ordering FSD for my Y because of the state it is currently in, Elon isn't going to fomo me into spending $10K with the threat of a price increase. I have FSD locked in for the CT but I doubt I'll buy it unless Tesla does a 180 and allows me to transfer it to my next tesla or it is actually released. The way I figure it is that eventually every car company will have FSD in some form and some will start giving it away for free just so you buy their car .
There will also be the aftermarket addons like openpilot.

Just an FYI - Tesla has been strictly enforcing the max 30-day hold time.

Reactions: Cyberspeed

If the 30 day hold is real you may be SOL.

Just an FYI - Tesla has been strictly enforcing the max 30-day hold time.
The blogs that report this are simply serving Tesla's PR efforts.
While I strongly agree with the effort to sharply reduce Order Holds (especially given there are people on Hold for 2 Years), the reports don't hold up to the facts.

I had two holds during the last 7 months. I received a 'Demand Email' shortly after the New Year (which I didn't argue with).
When I inquired, a legitimate excuse/issue/request to Hold would still be honored.
I chose to go forward. I'm quite happy with what I received (today in fact).

Really, in the end, Tesla doesn't want to turn away orders and will work with you. That's legit and generally good business.
But if you try too hard to game the system, it's possible they'd reel you in. But low probability.

Exactly, they have been operating the production equipment since September when the factory was still under heavy construction. They can walk and chew gum at the same time. They do not need the factory to be 100% complete to start producing cars. Perhaps other manufacturers would wait for a factory to be fully built however, most don't have a 6-9 month wait for their products.
I guess that with a November EDD I should be taking solace in thinking that I stand a real chance of getting an Austin vehicle with all the goodies. OTOH, by then the Next Big Thing will be on the horizon and I can be disappointed by not getting that.

Of course I'm still using my iPhone 6 and driving a 15 year old Mini so pretty happy not being at the bleeding edge. Problem is the Mini (which I dearly love, going to miss that 6-speed) has so many things in need of repair right now I may be walking before summer.
Should be easy to hack your Tesla with that iPhone 6. 🤣

If the 30 day hold is real you may be SOL.

It seems they’re being a bit inconsistent with their policy. I ordered a MYLR in October, subsequently switched to an MYP, and was asked to take delivery in early January. I asked to hold to February and was told they could hold for a max of 90 days after your original order date, which in my case was January 20. And funny enough, the hold just came off last night, a few days early, and EDD is now TBD.

Did the DC submit everything to CA for you?

From Tesla's perspective it shouldn't matter how many states are involved. If that the problem, only 2 states are even involved anyway, the one where i pick it up, and the one it's getting registration in. A 3rd state doesn't impact giving me my paperwork or the 30 day dealer temp tag. The temp tag is in the state it's delivered and when I leave the lot all the registration stuff is my responsibility. When they get around to getting ahold of me again, maybe I simply it for them... I'll pick it up in Vegas and register it in FL, then UT has nothing to do with it and I'm not tied it anyway since my DL is from FL.
I have recently done this - picked up in Las Vegas registered in WA.

You need to contact Delivery Support in Las Vegas by phone or email and have them change the delivery location to LV but ensure Registration is in FL. Or else they will assign VIN and ship to your registration/delivery address.

[email protected]

Also, the temp tag (drive away tag) from LV, NV is only good for 14 days.

Tesla will not let you DiY the registration since it's FL or WA in my case: Registering Your Tesla

Now back to Giga TX *sugar*....

I have recently done this - picked up in Las Vegas registered in WA.

You need to contact Delivery Support in Las Vegas by phone or email and have them change the delivery location to LV but ensure Registration is in FL. Or else they will assign VIN and ship to your registration/delivery address.

[email protected]

Also, the temp tag (drive away tag) from LV, NV is only good for 14 days.

Tesla will not let you DiY the registration since it's FL or WA in my case: Registering Your Tesla

Now back to Giga TX *sugar*....
Thank you!!

Reactions: RoBoRaT
It seems they’re being a bit inconsistent with their policy. I ordered a MYLR in October, subsequently switched to an MYP, and was asked to take delivery in early January. I asked to hold to February and was told they could hold for a max of 90 days after your original order date, which in my case was January 20. And funny enough, the hold just came off last night, a few days early, and EDD is now TBD.
This is what I was hoping when simultaneously ordering the MYP and the MYLR. I hope they allow me to place a hold on the MYP (which indicates delivery in mid-late March 2022), to give Tesla time to work out bugs at Austin. If they are militant and cancel that order after a 30 day hold, then hoping to convert the MYLR order (which indicates July delivery) to MYP. In both cases FSD is locked at $10k.

Aside from the increased cost of the MYP, did Tesla charge you a fee to upgrade your MYLR order to MYP?