Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes me feel better. I'm conflicted, I agree with what you say above especially in light of all that is going on worldwide. I got a very high trade value from Tesla that I also bet gets worse as the economy starts having issues. I had thought about rejecting a Vin to hold out for Austin, but that move could end up costing me as trade values fluctuate and any potential prices changes occur.

With that said, the main reason I want the Austin build is more for the new giga press structure of the Y. I'd be totally content with a current Y build, but as soon as the new ones start I'm curious to see what happens to values of the 2170 version "1.0" Ys. Long term would we take a hit? Hard to tell.

I have an MYP that went from being pushed back to April-May to now the 21-31 March. Still no Vin assigned. Really hoping for an Austin miracle, but not counting on it. Heck I still can't believe cars are being delivered with Intel chips etc..figured we would be done with those last month.
I initially accepted what I thought was a high trade value, but cancelled and went with Carvana who paid 50% more. You should at least shop around a little for your used car.

Reactions: SWIPE
I don't think anyone is going to cancel anything ATM. With the Price of Fuel there will be even more orders and I am sure we will see some price increases soon. There is nohing about the 4680 batteries which will make me cancel and wait another 6-8 months.
Agree to disagree. People are already delaying deliveries for Austin builds as is... To each their own though. It should be interesting to see how things develop over the coming months.

Last edited:
I think the demand for electric cars is only going to increase, especially given what’s going on. MY 1.0’s will likely hold their value, especially since the supply is so low. That may change in the next year or two if we head into a recession or worse war. It that’s a topic for another thread.
Holding onto a 2022 MY 1.0 for a few years will not likely to be bad investment. At some point supply will catch up and everyone will want the new technology. That’s true for every car. Then you’ll want to be holding a new MY 2.0.
All of that doesn’t make a lick of a difference if you just want/need a new car

That makes me feel better. I'm conflicted, I agree with what you say above especially in light of all that is going on worldwide. I got a very high trade value from Tesla that I also bet gets worse as the economy starts having issues. I had thought about rejecting a Vin to hold out for Austin, but that move could end up costing me as trade values fluctuate and any potential prices changes occur.

With that said, the main reason I want the Austin build is more for the new giga press structure of the Y. I'd be totally content with a current Y build, but as soon as the new ones start I'm curious to see what happens to values of the 2170 version "1.0" Ys. Long term would we take a hit? Hard to tell.

I have an MYP that went from being pushed back to April-May to now the 21-31 March. Still no Vin assigned. Really hoping for an Austin miracle, but not counting on it. Heck I still can't believe cars are being delivered with Intel chips etc..figured we would be done with those last month.
I plan to keep any car I purchase for 10-15 years minimum so I have never bought a car thinking about what the resale value would be. There will always be something better around the corner and if that is a concern then maybe a lease is a better option for you.

I have a lift in my garage so I have always done my own repairs. Having a car that I am only qualified to change the tires on is going to be a new experience. I am sure I'll end up doing some kind of repair after the warranty ends. Depending upon how that experience is will determine if if I buy another tesla or another EV.

With gas prices and global oil where it is, I suspect EV sales have skyrocketed even further. I know our local SC has seen a sharp increase in sales in just the last 2 weeks. Every day as fuel prices rise, another consumer finally capitulates and makes the shift.

4680 or not, demand is about to get fiercer than ever for EV’s. This latest war and oil prices has inadvertently helped the EV revolution accelerate even faster.

So does one wait for even more demand to result in further price increases/lower avail supply or just bite the bullet and accept a current trim with whatever it comes with and potentially avoid en even longer wait time? Tough call 🤔

Agree to disagree. People are already delaying deliveries for Austin builds as is... To each their own though. It should be interesting to see how things develop over the coming months.
I agree with you. I'm delaying my order until I am certain of an Austin build for the following reasons:
- I want the 4680
- I live in Austin
- My Model 3 is fantastic and I don't mind waiting.

On the other hand, I test drove a Fremont MYP and the build quality was outstanding. I do not expect the first Austin Y's to be that good. But my reasons to wait are more important to me.

I'm going in tomorrow for my 2nd test drive. I'll let you know if I flip. haha.

I agree with you. I'm delaying my order until I am certain of an Austin build for the following reasons:
- I want the 4680
- I live in Austin
- My Model 3 is fantastic and I don't mind waiting.

On the other hand, I test drove a Fremont MYP and the build quality was outstanding. I do not expect the first Austin Y's to be that good. But my reasons to wait are more important to me.

I'm going in tomorrow for my 2nd test drive. I'll let you know if I flip. haha.
Lol be careful you only get 5 or 6 test drives 💀💀💀 don't be like that guy who posted the other day.

• Funny
Reactions: BGOwner
Hey, I am new here, from California.

if I order a Y today it says estimated delivery is august.

should I get the new battery system by then? Or are all Cali deliveries even a year out going to be the old smaller batteries?

what should I do as a Cali resident if I want to guarantee the new battery tech?

ty

Hey, I am new here, from California.

if I order a Y today it says estimated delivery is august.

should I get the new battery system by then? Or are all Cali deliveries even a year out going to be the old smaller batteries?

what should I do as a Cali resident if I want to guarantee the new battery tech?

ty
The only way to guarantee it is to wait for a delivery towards the end of the year from freemont

Reactions: y_naught
I initially accepted what I thought was a high trade value, but cancelled and went with Carvana who paid 50% more. You should at least shop around a little for your used car.

I have . Tesla is smart..its lower, but when you account for the sales tax advantage from the trade in, it comes out the exact same as the other offers for selling the car outright.

Reactions: preilly44
I have . Tesla is smart..its lower, but when you account for the sales tax advantage from the trade in, it comes out the exact same as the other offers for selling the car outright.
I think this is not totally correct, for the most part I agree but in my case for example this is not true.
I am trading in a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Manual, Tesla offers me 46, other entities went up to 53, even without tax advantage external trade in is better, not miles but better.
My rule is, if the external entity offers you 3k USD more than Tesla, go with it.
Just my 2 cents

Reactions: SWIPE and DrGriz
I think this is not totally correct, for the most part I agree but in my case for example this is not true.
I am trading in a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Manual, Tesla offers me 46, other entities went up to 53, even without tax advantage external trade in is better, not miles but better.
My rule is, if the external entity offers you 3k USD more than Tesla, go with it.
Just my 2 cents
It's all based on the tax rate. For Texas, it's 6.25%. If (Tesla Value) * 1.0625 < (Other Value), go with the other one

Reactions: AlbertVanK
Hi everyone, I am new here, from PA. I have a MYLR on order (July EDD) and have been following the MY 2.0 story for a while. I'd like to share my prediction for how Tesla moves ahead.
  1. As soon as Austin is ready to ramp MYLR, all US orders will come from Austin and Freemont will bring back the standard range.
  2. Austin MYLR will have some sort of spec improvement. Likely a combo of improved range and reduced weight. There's been too much Tesla press about the 4680 not to have a spec improvement associated with the launch. 50 miles of range and a couple hundred pounds lighter sounds awesome to me.
  3. Tesla will not sell MYLR from Austin (4680) and Freemont (2170) at the same time with different specs. Most seem to agree that makes no sense.
  4. Long term. Austin = MYLR and MYP and Freemont = MYSR
What do you think?

I see. Here in the land of only Fremont cars, we are taxed on the full new car price, regardless.
You are not the only one. Illinois taxes on the full price of the car also. Trade in Value is subtracted after tax is calculated.

Hi everyone, I am new here, from PA. I have a MYLR on order (July EDD) and have been following the MY 2.0 story for a while. I'd like to share my prediction for how Tesla moves ahead.
  1. As soon as Austin is ready to ramp MYLR, all US orders will come from Austin and Freemont will bring back the standard range.
  2. Austin MYLR will have some sort of spec improvement. Likely a combo of improved range and reduced weight. There's been too much Tesla press about the 4680 not to have a spec improvement associated with the launch. 50 miles of range and a couple hundred pounds lighter sounds awesome to me.
  3. Tesla will not sell MYLR from Austin (4680) and Freemont (2170) at the same time with different specs. Most seem to agree that makes no sense.
What do you think?
While that all makes perfect sense from our armchair economics club, this is Tesla and I feel like they do the opposite of what makes sense 90% of the time. I'm fully expecting them to try and play catch-up on LRs and have two different battery types delivering at the same time until the Fremont line updates to the 4680s.

What do you think?
No money in the SR. They can make much more profit off the two more expensive models. They may bring it back but not this year.
And much depends on what you mean by this: "As soon as Austin is ready to ramp MYLR."
If you mean Austin is going to flick a switch and suddenly be cranking volumes of MYLR and P that let Fremont stop building those? No, not for months and months. That ramp will take a lot longer that people cheerfully assume.
We’re a long way from training enough folks for that and getting everything rolling. Battery lines look more or less ready to go but their ramp is slow also.

What do you think?
That's an interesting scenario. However, I think it's more likely that we see the Fremont plant get shutdown for a period to retool for the casting and 4680 changes. The physical hardware is already there on site, but it just hasn't been activated obviously.

Reactions: advocate8 and JDL@h
What do you think?

Tesla plans to ship some 4680's this month so that kills point 3 off the bat . Tesla just isn't making enough 4680's at this time to handle all MYP or MYLR.

I think they will make some symbolic shipments to appease the shareholders but don't expect them to have enough battery capacity for another 6 months

Reactions: advocate8 and JDL@h
Hang in there guys! GigaTexas will be ramping up like wild after the party!

3DAB3994-CD56-4762-B749-EFE0FF1CAE26.jpeg