Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not how a hold works. There is a max time you can go on hold. Or you can request a hold for any amount of time less than that. It is a not a random amount that Tesla decides. However, there is no guarantee as to when you will get your car after your hold ends. It depends where you are in line (should be at the front since you have received VINs already) and where your location is in line relative to other delivery centers. It sounds like you aren't actually on hold but they are just rejecting a VIN and you are getting back in line.

In other words, when is the earliest you want a car? If it is in 2 weeks, then you tell Tesla you want to hold for 2 weeks. It sounds like you should receive a VIN within a couple weeks after coming off hold. And being in Kansas, it will be 7-10 days after you get a VIN before you can schedule delivery so that should allow you to sell your car in time. You don't go from getting a VIN to getting the car the next day if you are getting a fresh car from the factory. SAs should know this timeline and be telling you this. And yes, you will schedule a specific day and time to pick up the car and you will know this in advance so that should also help with selling your current car.

Have you checked your Tesla Accout page to see if it shows your order is on hold?
I should've been more clear, apologies.
I requested for 30 day max hold, but they said manager can reduce that number (Ex: Max of 7 days). I realize I can take it off hold anytime before that.
My account page still shows that I have a VIN with end of March EDD. I was told this page will be updated once the manager approves my hold request.

You mentioned that I should be at the front of the line after my hold ends. That is what I assumed too, but was confused because my SA told me I would be put at the back of the line and receive my car in June when my hold ends.

I'm okay with gettin my MYP as early as April or late as June. A part of me wants to pick up the MYP, but another part of me wants to keep this twin turbo V8 a little longer.

I should've been more clear, apologies.
I requested for 30 day max hold, but they said manager can reduce that number (Ex: Max of 7 days). I realize I can take it off hold anytime before that.
My account page still shows that I have a VIN with end of March EDD. I was told this page will be updated once the manager approves my hold request.

You mentioned that I should be at the front of the line after my hold ends. That is what I assumed too, but was confused because my SA told me I would be put at the back of the line and receive my car in June when my hold ends.

I'm okay with gettin my MYP as early as April or late as June. A part of me wants to pick up the MYP, but another part of me wants to keep this twin turbo V8 a little longer.
Sounds like you have some cash to blow on gas, TT V8 can't be that efficient. If the VIN was just assigned, you still have time to sell your car before it arrives.

Reactions: DrGriz and BGOwner
That's not how a hold works. There is a max time you can go on hold. Or you can request a hold for any amount of time less than that. It is a not a random amount that Tesla decides. However, there is no guarantee as to when you will get your car after your hold ends. It depends where you are in line (should be at the front since you have received VINs already) and where your location is in line relative to other delivery centers. It sounds like you aren't actually on hold but they are just rejecting a VIN and you are getting back in line.

In other words, when is the earliest you want a car? If it is in 2 weeks, then you tell Tesla you want to hold for 2 weeks. It sounds like you should receive a VIN within a couple weeks after coming off hold. And being in Kansas, it will be 7-10 days after you get a VIN before you can schedule delivery so that should allow you to sell your car in time. You don't go from getting a VIN to getting the car the next day if you are getting a fresh car from the factory. SAs should know this timeline and be telling you this. And yes, you will schedule a specific day and time to pick up the car and you will know this in advance so that should also help with selling your current car.

Have you checked your Tesla Accout page to see if it shows your order is on hold?
My accounts page just got updated.
Order is on hold for only 10 days from today. Ends on 4/1.

Reactions: Horty4
Here is a bit of "cut & paste" from the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement, regarding the changes made to the vehicle AFTER we place our order...

"Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle."

This is why I like to call any change that is made and implemented AFTER the we place your order an "Added Bonus." Tesla is not obligated to provide them to us. Any change they provide is simply a gesture and should not be taken as "granted."

I know what I am writing is not making some happy. I, personally, would also be disappointed to miss any change that is not implemented on my MY. We all want the best and the most for what we purchase. I do not condemn ppl trying different tactics to get any change either.

Waiting and delaying, especially at this day and age, to get the newest and the greatest is not what it used to be. Things advance way too fast and we will end waiting forever. If we think the vehicle we want is already good for the price we are willing to pay then, GET IT! If we are not satisfied and/or not in a rush then, WAIT. But, just be reasonable.

What I simply am saying is... We can't be blaming or bad mouthing Tesla for Possibly not implementing any change to our cars AFTER we place our orders. Especially, not based on speculations and assumptions that are flying all over the internet like bats coming out of a cave at dusk.

We all have the option to either

1. Accept the vehicle assigned to us or,
2. Cancel our order (loosing $250 and any price increase) and order a new vehicle when we know the vehicle with all the bells & whistles we want is available.

Option 2.5 would be to deploy different tactics to get the bells & whistles. However, this is one GREY option ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:
My advice for those who aren't sure if they want to take delivery of a Y now or wait for Austin:
Step1 : Definitely don't sell your current car yet. If you have it listed for sale, take that listing down right now. This listing is wasting your own time and all the prospective buyers' time to have it listed now, when Teslas are notoriously delivered weeks/months late compared to EDD.
Step2 : Put your new Model Y order on hold until April 8th
Step3 : Watch Tesla Austin factory opening on April 7th, then change your Y order configuration if needed.
Step4 : Take delivery of the new Y (could take weeks/months regardless of EDD), and drive it for 1 day and night. Make sure it fully works.
Step5 : List your old car for sale. I suggest quotes from CarMax, Carvana, Shift. I usually sell on Craigslist, and accept cashier's check and do title transfer at AAA DMV desk. Drop price every 2 days until it sells. I've sold my last 3 cars within a week.

Reactions: scottf200 and JDL@h
My advice for those who aren't sure if they want to take delivery of a Y now or wait for Austin:
Step1 : Definitely don't sell your current car yet. If you have it listed for sale, take that listing down right now. This listing is wasting your own time and all the prospective buyers' time to have it listed now, when Teslas are notoriously delivered weeks/months late compared to EDD.
Step2 : Put your new Model Y order on hold until April 8th
Step3 : Watch Tesla Austin factory opening on April 7th, then change your Y order configuration if needed.
Step4 : Take delivery of the new Y (could take weeks/months regardless of EDD), and drive it for 1 day and night. Make sure it fully works.
Step5 : List your old car for sale. I suggest quotes from CarMax, Carvana, Shift. I usually sell on Craigslist, and accept cashier's check and do title transfer at AAA DMV desk. Drop price every 2 days until it sells. I've sold my last 3 cars within a week.

No no no! Advice should be if you can live without a car now, sell it ASAP. Used car prices are softening and will crater back to normal SOONER than you think. Look at the GPU (graphics card) market. Supply is plentiful meaning the chip shortage is nearing the end.

No no no! Advice should be if you can live without a car now, sell it ASAP. Used car prices are softening and will crater back to normal SOONER than you think. Look at the GPU (graphics card) market. Supply is plentiful meaning the chip shortage is nearing the end.
N=1 but
dealerships offered me $46k for my m3 sr+ in February and this week they emailed me the offering $49k.

Unfortunately, I sold at $47k, but seems the market isn’t slowing down. I read online that march/April is when cars costs more because of tax refunds.

I would recommend opposite and say don’t sell until you get a VIN.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ritalin is on back order.
This is funny sh$t. I haven’t been in this thread in weeks. Funny how all the know it alls and “facts”, drone footage etc about soon to come Austin cars with the new batteries still hasn’t come to fruition. I was expecting to see all sorts of happy people getting vins from Austin. I guess the only FACT is we will see our first Austin built car when we see one.

N=1 but
dealerships offered me $46k for my m3 sr+ in February and this week they emailed me the offering $49k.

Unfortunately, I sold at $47k, but seems the market isn’t slowing down. I read online that march/April is when cars costs more because of tax refunds.

I would recommend opposite and say don’t sell until you get a VIN.

Prices in Feb plummeted. My RAV4 Prime had $51K offers late Jan from Carvana/Vroom/CarMax and then in late Feb they all fell to $45K or lower.

I think the war jacked up EV prices in the past few weeks.

Depends on the car being sold. I see no sign of Tesla resale value going anywhere but up.

I expect to get around $50K for a 23,000 mile LR M3 with EAap and white seats which is one reason I finally caved and ordered a MY.

Depends on the car being sold. I see no sign of Tesla resale value going anywhere but up.

I expect to get around $50K for a 23,000 mile LR M3 with EAap and white seats which is one reason I finally caved and ordered a MY.

Funny, I remember you taking delivery of your Model 3 right around same time I did back in 2018. I sold mine in early November (36k miles, $47k to givemethevin), and am scheduled to pickup my MYP this Saturday. It looks like we are on the same cycle.

Reactions: voip-ninja