Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y SR AWD's spec has been added to the source code of the order page.

EPA Range: 279 miles (19-inch wheel, 5-seat), 0-60 mph: 5 s

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 8.51.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 8.51.03 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,017
Can anyone speculate as to why there is such a lack of VINs being assigned to the East Coast? I know it is usually slow at the start of a new quarter, but I've never seen anything remotely like this. I'm not suggesting Austin builds or anything like that as the reason, I'm just genuinely curious.

Can anyone speculate as to why there is such a lack of VINs being assigned to the East Coast? I know it is usually slow at the start of a new quarter, but I've never seen anything remotely like this. I'm not suggesting Austin builds or anything like that as the reason, I'm just genuinely curious.
East coast here. Northeast to be precise.
Build: MYLR Midnight Silver, 19 inch wheels, white interior.
OD: October 2021
Profile completion: March 2022 (cause I didn't know)
EDD: Aug - Sept

Someone please send help! What's more insane, half a year wait is fine, but almost a years wait is insane!

Before the Austin and Berlin Gigafactories came online, during the first part of a new quarter Tesla produces cars that are for overseas orders first. Then towards the middle of the quarter, East Coast starts getting shipments. Deliveries then start to move west across the US, finishing with the West Coast towards the end of the quarter.

With the 2 new gigafactories now online, that will most likely shift soon, if not already. That's pure speculation on my part.

Before the Austin and Berlin Gigafactories came online, during the first part of a new quarter Tesla produces cars that are for overseas orders first. Then towards the middle of the quarter, East Coast starts getting shipments. Deliveries then start to move west across the US, finishing with the West Coast towards the end of the quarter.

With the 2 new gigafactories now online, that will most likely shift soon, if not already. That's pure speculation on my part.

This only applied to Model 3. Fremont never exported Model Y internationally. European Y deliveries came from Shanghai.

East coast here. Northeast to be precise.
Build: MYLR Midnight Silver, 19 inch wheels, white interior.
OD: October 2021
Profile completion: March 2022 (cause I didn't know)
EDD: Aug - Sept

Someone please send help! What's more insane, half a year wait is fine, but almost a years wait is insane!
Profile completion as in finance choice?

I have this exact configuration, am on the East Coast, and I ordered at the end of January. MY EDD is July 11 to August 22.

Reactions: FLTessie and cc333
The slower 0-60 time is the most interesting part here. I wonder if that’s just a software limit to differentiate the models or if there’s some physical limitation on power draw from the 4680 cells that makes it necessary.
I agree. Very interesting. Their excuse can be "gathering data". Then when they are no longer concerned about screwing up sales for Fremont that can bump the 0-60 a bit, and then sell a bigger bump via software update.

IMO the correct way to think about the impact of Austin is from Tesla point of view, not the crazed desire of future customers. They want smooth Model Y sales. They want to conserve 4680 cells for CT and semi. Maybe MY Austin has 60kwh?

Profile completion as in finance choice?

I have this exact configuration, am on the East Coast, and I ordered at the end of January. MY EDD is July 11 to August 22.
Yup! SA told me to leave the financing blank as they will rerun my credit, initial edd was May 2022 then June 2022, as we inch closer to June started to check the forums only to find out I need to set the payment method & put cash as place holder in March. After I did, I got the precise date, August 15th - September 12th. Didn't change since, cries! Now I'm super pissed tbh, I was trying to get it before or by summer, because of misinfo, I now have to wait after summer and felt like I wasted an entire season / year after all we only have 1 summer per year.

I agree. Very interesting. Their excuse can be "gathering data". Then when they are no longer concerned about screwing up sales for Fremont that can bump the 0-60 a bit, and then sell a bigger bump via software update.

IMO the correct way to think about the impact of Austin is from Tesla point of view, not the crazed desire of future customers. They want smooth Model Y sales. They want to conserve 4680 cells for CT and semi. Maybe MY Austin has 60kwh?

Typically power output scales with battery pack size - a larger pack can put out more current. Now that doesn't factor in the new design elements of the 4680, but in general I'd expect a 15% smaller pack to have about 15% less peak power output.

Elasticity and pricing are tools that a lot of companies with monopolies in the market have used; OPEC is a prime case. They have stocks, but will shore up prices with trickle deliveries. People will add FSD, move to MYP and generally book now as tomorrow prices will increase more

Reactions: advocate8

0-60 almost surely would remain slower than MYLR if only for marketing purposes.

how did you know it was a standard range model? did you assume or there was another piece of information that led you to think it was SR
This was posted on Reddit. Here is what the poster added:

An Austin model Y(vin confirms) was spotted in the wild charging. On the charging screen the battery shows "daily" and "trip" confirming that this is NOT a LFP battery. The displayed range equates to around 270 miles at 100% so this appears to be the EPA listed 279 miles Model Y AWD that we have been speculating about over the past weeks.

Some personal opinion: A little disappointed here. The biggest thing is the range/efficiency of 4680. I, along with most Tesla fans, was expecting a 5-10% efficiency bump from the weight savings of a structural pack and castings. This car was supposed to be something like 500lbs lighter than the current model Y, even with the same size pack. The efficiency is less than 1% better than current model Y per EPA documents, and that should be entirely attributable to the standard range pack. Are we really getting equal to worse efficiency out of 4680 structural right now?

Second is the door trim is still unaligned. So much for "micron precision."

Reactions: Hardik2302