Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the 4680 and structural battery pack info is correct on web link youi provided, the open structural battery packs on display at Cyber Rodeo last week were for MY-LRs since these had 828 of the 4680 cells. Since it appears these provide just about the same KWH of capacity as the current battery pack in the MY-LRs or MY-Ps, then I doubt any other EPA certification is needed beyond what was already issued for the 2022 MYs.

As I understand it the original "full" design for the 4680 structural pack had 960 cells. What we're seeing in real life is a smaller pack with 828 cells - that lines up almost perfectly with this initial pack running about 70 KHW vs the existing MYLR size of 82 KWH

It looks like the twitter guy is just making up a 690 cell pack - it's the first I've ever heard of it

Reactions: Mrbrock
$60990 for MIT MY AWD?
if you search the model y page source code, you can find 60990, 62990, 67990.
60990 for configuration $MDLY
67990 for base_plus_trim config $MTY11
62990 for base_plus_trim config $PRMY1
So the new Standard AWD model will cost $2K more than the MY-LR was selling for just a couple of weeks ago, but $2K less than the current price of the LR.

Last edited:
$60990 for MIT MY AWD?
if you search the model y page source code, you can find 60990, 62990, 67990.
60990 for configuration $MDLY
67990 for base_plus_trim config $MTY11
62990 for base_plus_trim config $PRMY1
Also seeing this
\"drive_mode\",\"content\":\"Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive\"}],\"extra_content\":[{\"type\":\"shape\",\"content\":[{\"type\":\"block\"}]},{\"type\":\"price_indicator_override\",\"content\":[{\"content\":50490,\"configuration\":[\"$MDLY\"],\"condition_state\":\"and\"}]},{\"type\":\"option_price_override\",\"content\":[{\"content\":50490,\"configuration\":[\"$MDLY\"],\"condition_state\":\"and\"}]},{\"type\":\"base_

Also seeing this
\"drive_mode\",\"content\":\"Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive\"}],\"extra_content\":[{\"type\":\"shape\",\"content\":[{\"type\":\"block\"}]},{\"type\":\"price_indicator_override\",\"content\":[{\"content\":50490,\"configuration\":[\"$MDLY\"],\"condition_state\":\"and\"}]},{\"type\":\"option_price_override\",\"content\":[{\"content\":50490,\"configuration\":[\"$MDLY\"],\"condition_state\":\"and\"}]},{\"type\":\"base_
60990 seems to high but 50490 seems too low. maybe those numbers are not the new trim price.

Also seeing this
Early adopter employee discount?

after more careful examination of the source code, I've found neither 50490 nor 60990 is new trim price. the code only has MYLR and MYP prices, the new trim ($MTY14) pricing is not listed.

the listed values are:
$MTY05 (MYP) : $MDLY config 60990; base 28000; base_plus_trim 67990
$MTY11 (MYLR): $MDLY config 50490; base 23000; base_plus_trim 62990
$MTY14 (MY AWD) has no price info.

• Informative
Reactions: mwdietertg
Im basically going to ignore battery day numbers, as they have never seemed trustworthy.
The battery is essentially what changes, so the rough calculation should be the percent reduction in the cost of the battery, not the whole car. In theory the 4680s should be less expensive to produce for a given capacity since they’re doing them in house.
Then the changes with the casting and structural pack SHOULD make a commensurate reduction in the cost of producing the rest of the car. They should obviously make it cheaper to produce but...
I’m also guessing Tesla will shoot high with the price because of the ongoing hikes in the cost of raw materials, parts etc and that will wipe out gains in production efficiency. the $59,990 may be BS right now but that sounds about right.
since we are all speculating.... ;-)
I can see Tesla doing that number to maximize profit, which is a stated goal for '22. They've got 2 new factories to pay for, a one year backlog, and limited competition.
But it would not be a justifiable price point from my POV since the only real difference is range. At only 3K less, I would just go for the real deal.
OK, argue with me about real differences.... ;-)

Tesla might raise the MYLY / MYP pricing yet again to justify AWD @ 59K....And explore just where the price point creates pain (softened demand).
Usually it's easier to lower prices than raise. When demand softens, drop drawers. They've done that before.

Or they can start the MY AWD at a more modest price point.

They can go either way and be successful regardless.
The new build is more profitable to manufacture, it's all a bonus for them, and it's a smart way to ramp the new factory up. Kudos !!

I rather agree. Tesla is all about scaling up. That needs cubic money.

So with a year-long backlog and a new still-sorting-it-out factory, you sell the "new" model at a slight discount while saving a few 4680 cells per car.

In parallel, you keep refining the core Model Y, adding a few tidbits to it to justify the now rather premium price on it.

Let that slow cook while engineering the CyberTruck, Roadster, Semi etc.

Bank everything made for 2022, and in 2023 cut the entire Model Y line to the now refined 4680. Maybe Model 3 too.

Reactions: KJD and tangible1
Pure speculation... But what if Tesla cut the MYLR completely... And only offered the (new) SR and performance models only. Since battery constraints is a real issue, offering a SR model will allow them to make more cars using less batteries per car with 4680. They can save some bucks and fulfill more orders. Offer the SR at a slightly lower price than current LR price, let's say 59k to justify the slightly lower range but new battery, and castings etc... For the folks that want more range, and get their car sooner supposedly, they must buy the performance model with slightly higher price than the current pricing. So if a person wants their car sooner supposedly, they can buy the performance. Otherwise the only option is SR... Tesla can maximize their profits, fulfill more orders, while justifying the new pricing, offers, etc.... Perhaps soon, LR holders will get an email or text with the option to (Downgrade/upgrade) however you view it, to the SR version. Or can edit their order to performance.... Hmmm???? Pure speculation btw.

Reactions: Terminator857
Pure speculation... But what if Tesla cut the MYLR completely... And only offered the (new) SR and performance models only. Since battery constraints is a real issue, offering a SR model will allow them to make more cars using less batteries per car with 4680. They can save some bucks and fulfill more orders. Offer the SR at a slightly lower price than current LR price, let's say 59k to justify the slightly lower range but new battery, and castings etc... For the folks that want more range, and get their car sooner supposedly, they must buy the performance model with slightly higher price than the current pricing. So if a person wants their car sooner supposedly, they can buy the performance. Otherwise the only option is SR... Tesla can maximize their profits, fulfill more orders, while justifying the new pricing, offers, etc.... Perhaps soon, LR holders will get an email or text with the option to (Downgrade/upgrade) however you view it, to the SR version. Or can edit their order to performance.... Hmmm???? Pure speculation btw.

Yeah, that makes total sense. Abandon all the 2170 batteries they're pumping out by the millions and point their highest volume car at the new tech which has a few hundred cars worth of supply.... yeah - do that! Tomorrow! It'll totally be cool!

People who are locked in for MYLR at a lower price than what we’ve been speculating 59k for SR will not be happy. I am locked in on a lower price and the reason I want LR beside lower price is the freedom to do my 260 mile commute twice a week without the need of charging and plug it in once I’m home.

I don’t think they will get rid of LR version. Gigatexas is so big that they will start a line for LR and start pumping out LR from there eventually.

Another thought…. I could see that happening… the amount of people who have switched from LR to P due to longer wait times is crazy. Tesla has all the data and might get rid of LR. If people don’t care of 50 less miles switching from LR to P then as data suggests should be okay to get less miles on SR considering you can charge it to 100% everyday with 4680 cells.

Last edited:
Reactions: z335is
People who are locked in for MYLR at a lower price than what we’ve been speculating 59k for SR will not be happy. I am locked in on a lower price and the reason I want LR beside lower price is the freedom to do my 260 mile commute twice a week without the need of charging and plug it in once I’m home.

I don’t think they will get rid of LR version. Gigatexas is so big that they will start a line for LR and start pumping out LR from there eventually.

Another thought…. I could see that happening… the amount of people who have switched from LR to P due to longer wait times is crazy. Tesla has all the data and might get rid of LR. If people don’t care of 50 less miles switching from LR to P then as data suggests should be okay to get less miles on SR considering you can charge it to 100% everyday with 4680 cells.
It wouldn’t take an extra line to make LR. Likely the only hardware that would be different is the internal part of the battery pack. Externally it would be identical and bolt right up the same way.

Why wouldn’t they be happy if they locked in a LR at a lower price than the proposed $59k for the standard range. To me it makes it seem like they got a deal!

Sorry for asking, but after 260 miles you don't want to plug in ?

Yeah, that makes total sense. Abandon all the 2170 batteries they're pumping out by the millions and point their highest volume car at the new tech which has a few hundred cars worth of supply.... yeah - do that! Tomorrow! It'll totally be cool!
I think he meant for it to be read "without the need of charging (en route), and I will plug it in only at home"
Yep, that’s what I meant. Sorry, English is not my first language, work in progress :)

Reactions: NYMY