Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, but the doors assemblies and how they're put on the car at the factory are probably the same, regardless of front/rear or just rear castings. It looks like bkp_duke was implying that the way the doors are installed at the factory would be different because of the front casting, which does not make sense if the doors and mounting points are the same between F and A assembly lines.

Nope, I'm implying, now clearly stating, that Austin builds should be more consistent (i.e. the shape of 1000 cars if measured and averaged would be under a smaller standard deviation) than Fremont, simply because of the underlying principles (gigacasts and structural battery pack).

Reactions: advocate8
I'll post if I want to post.

Maybe what was actually under discussion was how doors are hanging wrong on Austin built cars exactly the way they hang wrong on Fremont built cars and he opined on casting vs. stamped cars which should have nothing to do with this issue.
Also no need to get all aggressive up in here. Have a nice day!

Nope, I'm implying, now clearly stating, that Austin builds should be more consistent (i.e. the shape of 1000 cars if measured and averaged would be under a smaller standard deviation) than Fremont, simply because of the underlying principles (gigacasts and structural battery pack).
I think that's a very logical thing to assume....disappointing if it isn't the case.

Reactions: advocate8
4/7: New Y lineup introduced with 4680 and MC - lineup includes AWD, LR and P.
*All new orders and those preexisting with EDD of 5/1 and beyond will receive a "new" LR or P.

4/8: Order banks for AWD open. Fremont starts production pause until ~4/18 for retooling.

Enjoy...
Can you share other inside information so we can talk about it? We are just so bored here. lol

NO. Both are stamped. Don't be an obtuse dullard.

I'm saying the FRAME to which they ATTACH has much much better tolerances on a car with two gigacastings (front + rear) and a structural battery pack. It's basically a more precise box to which attach things.

The operator just has to actually hang the door properly and make a fine adjustment, which obviously they didn't.

EDIT - the goal here would be that with a more precisely built frame, there are fewer post-production adjustments that need to be made. But clearly they need to work on the process for consistently hanging the doors right on the first go at it.
Ah, now we get to the insults, nice.

I don't know how they are hanging the doors, do you? It might be done by a human, it might be done by a robot, or it might be done by both.

In any event, I haven't seen any indication that tolerances at the Austin plant are better than the ones out of Fremont based on the initial photos we have seen of the cars built in Austin.

I would assume they are going to improve over time, but I also have to question why we are seeing the same panel gap issues, alignment of parts issues, etc., when Tesla had the opportunity to address this when getting the line up and running. I can speculate that they duplicated much of the assembly process being done in Fremont, when maybe there were some opportunities to do things a bit differently where there was room for improvement made possible by building a new plant.

It will be interesting when the first non Tesla employees start taking deliveries if the Austin paint shop is doing better than Fremont. I have a friend who just took a delivery of an MY and it has similar issues to my car that was built & painted over three years ago. If there's one thing I would hope they could address at Austin it would be paint shop.

Too funny if people reject cars bc of that. It’s an easy fix by SC at the time of delivery.
Not about rejecting at all actually. Just noticing that Tesla has not yet figured out a method for aligning the passenger door and trim yet? Even with a whole new production line and lessons learned from Fremont?

I find that a missed opp to improve on a known manuf issue. Makes one wonder what else wasn’t looked at or improved. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: Investor9872
Not about rejecting at all actually. Just noticing that Tesla has not yet figured out a method for aligning the passenger door and trim yet? Even with a whole new production line and lessons learned from Fremont?

I find that a missed opp to improve on a known manuf issue. Makes one wonder what else wasn’t looked at or improved. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Some of the issues are easy fixes and others are not. Tesla insisted that to fix some of the issues with my car it would have to go to a body shop so I just fixed them myself.

Any time a new line is up and running there is a tuning period. Even German manufacturers who are very good like BMW & Mercedes will crank out some early examples where the panels aren't lined up quite right, but that stuff is all sorted out once production is really going. I don't know that I've ever seen a modern Japanese car with those issues either but I suppose there are badly built ones out there.

The bottom line is that for some people, the allure of an Austin built car was as much that it was being built on a brand new line as any improvements that might show up due to new cells, etc. Once deliveries to the public actually start we should have a pretty good idea of what the quality is like. It at least needs to be at the level of the Fremont plant, which has at least improved a bit over the past few years.

*All new orders and those preexisting with EDD of 5/1 and beyond will receive a "new" LR or P.

4/8: Order banks for AWD open. Fremont starts production pause until ~4/18 for retooling.

Enjoy...
Why would the pause end 4/18 but the new Fremont built Ys not start until 5/1? Wouldn't that mean the line is restarted and making the old Ys for two weeks instead of restarting and building the new Ys at the point it restarts?

I don't know how they are hanging the doors, do you? It might be done by a human, it might be done by a robot, or it might be done by both.

In any event, I haven't seen any indication that tolerances at the Austin plant are better than the ones out of Fremont based on the initial photos we have seen of the cars built in Austin.

I would assume they are going to improve over time, but I also have to question why we are seeing the same panel gap issues, alignment of parts issues, etc., when Tesla had the opportunity to address this when getting the line up and running. I can speculate that they duplicated much of the assembly process being done in Fremont, when maybe there were some opportunities to do things a bit differently where there was room for improvement made possible by building a new plant.

It will be interesting when the first non Tesla employees start taking deliveries if the Austin paint shop is doing better than Fremont. I have a friend who just took a delivery of an MY and it has similar issues to my car that was built & painted over three years ago. If there's one thing I would hope they could address at Austin it would be paint shop.
Here we go again. Assuming stuff without any research. Also Giga Berlin seems to have it right with fit and finish. I guess they didn’t copy Fremont by your logic.
After quick research looks like it is robo assisted with human workers doing alignment and bolting it in place. So I guess QA can use some improvement.

Last edited:

The Fremont paint shop is a *sugar* show. @jbcarioca is pretty much an expert on this and wrote a wonderful post a few months ago about how much better Berlin (and presumably Austin) is because of the different technology.

Suffice it to say, upgrading the paint shop would cause months of downtime that Tesla can't afford, so it doesn't really get touched in Fremont. Might in the future when Tesla has spare capacity and can take that facility offline for a major rework, but the paint shop is not a quick and easy upgrade.

Panel gaps, historically, are something that have been one of the last things looked at, and often overlooked, by most manufacturers until the past 15 years or so. There is a historical account at GM that basically the CEO went crazy one time when he saw how bad some cars were, and others were not, and finally asked a line man what gives. The guy replied back to him, essentially, that no one had ever instructed them look at the gaps and make them consistent.

Why would the pause end 4/18 but the new Fremont built Ys not start until 5/1? Wouldn't that mean the line is restarted and making the old Ys for two weeks instead of restarting and building the new Ys at the point it restarts?

Enjoy...

I got my VIN. I'm so so excited.
Also, a VIN came out of Fremont yesterday, so the retooling is done (or nearly done)?

It can take 2 weeks from build to get the vehicle delivered to East Coast customers. Thus, MYs build starting on 4/18 may not get delivered until early May. However, the bigger question is m3inssider really an insider with valid info. He (or she) was wrong when the claimed orders for the new Austin built MY AWD would open up on 4/8 (perhaps true for Tesla employees but not for the general public). I do believe Fremont will start producing an updated MY soon using both front and rear mega-castings and iniitally with the alternative structural battery pack (with 2170 cells as being used in gigaberlin). It's really just a queston of how soon this will happen.

Last edited:
It can take 2 weeks from build to get the vehicle delivered to East Coast customers. Thus, MYs build starting on 4/18 may not get delivered until early May. However, the bigger question is m3inssider really an insider with valid info.

Given that his timeline called for a 4680 version MYLR and MYP to be introduced on 4/7.... I'd say he's pushing garbage.

Reactions: FOD11
It can take 2 weeks from build to get the vehicle delivered to East Coast customers. Thus, MYs build starting on 4/18 may not get delivered until early May. However, the bigger question is m3inssider really an insider with valid info. He (or she) was wrong when the claimed orders for the new Austin built MY AWD would open up on 4/8 (perhaps true for Tesla employees but not for the general public). I do believe Fremont will start producing an updated MY soon using both front and rear mega-castings and iniitally with the alternative structural battery pack (with 2170 cells as being used in gigaberlin). It's really just a queston of how soon this will happen.
Seems like it's been slow on the VIN front since Apr 1, and retooling at the start of a quarter makes sense to me. Being wrong about when the order bank will open doesn't invalid the rest of it for me, the plan could have changed or they hit a snag or it is, just not for the public yet. 🤷‍♂️