Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They aren’t going to make a 400 mile range MY. They would have trouble selling Model X if the Y has a longer range. Look at the 3 and S. Stop wishing for something that won’t happen. Also look at the wording of the Tesla memo.

”We‘ve chosen to put a lower energy battery pack…”

They have done this because they know there is more demand for a longer range Y then a shorter range Y and they don't want to impact existing orders . They also don't have the battery production to support a more popular vehcile with 4680's while launching the CT next year.

The first CT (new Quad) is going to have a 500 mile range and be twice as heavy as the Y so expect to see at least a 180- 200KW battery in there . The TRI-motor 500 at 70K will now likely be 80-85K but still cheaper then a Model X and still a longer range. Different car, different features .

They have done this because they know there is more demand for a longer range Y then a shorter range Y and they don't want to impact existing orders . They also don't have the battery production to support a more popular vehcile with 4680's while launching the CT next year.

The first CT (new Quad) is going to have a 500 mile range and be twice as heavy as the Y so expect to see at least a 180- 200KW battery in there . The TRI-motor 500 at 70K will now likely be 80-85K but still cheaper then a Model X and still a longer range. Different car, different features .
I see more SR M3 on the road than LR M3. You don’t know what the comparative demand is for the SR AWD MY because it doesn’t exist yet to the public. Also, factor in all the “4680 or bust” people and I think you will be surprised about how the demand is split between the two vehicles.

Comparing the CT to the MX doesn’t work. Neither vehicle is comparable to the other from a market standpoint. They fit different clientele and needs. Now if you want to compare M3 to MS, let’s have that discussion how the LR M3 has NEVER had more range than the LR MS. Right now its 375 vs 358 (or 334 with 19”). It has been 400 vs 335 and other variations in the past but there is a reason that to get the ultimate range you have to go for the premium vehicle. The MX is 351 vs MY 330. Also, as you point out, the demand is already high for the MY LR as is, why would they reengineer it to hold more cells for more range? That’s a waste of batteries from a business standpoint. The SR AWD will really test what people’s lower range limit is. I think 250 is what people look for (see SR M3). We have a 244 mile SR MY and have had zero issues traveling with it. We will test it in a few weeks going from The Dalles to Kennewick/Pendleton but that should be laid to rest in the future with Boardman coming online.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
New raised price we have. Sounds fair and Tesla makes even more bc they are saving on new batteries and Giga casting.
Current SR AWD to LR AWD (if LR stays the same) is 18% range for only 5% vehicle price. You want 21% more range from LR and 43% more than SR for same price? What world do you live in?
A $5k premium, about $300 a kWh
This is more sensible. $3k for 51 miles, $5k for 70 miles. It is $9k for 86 miles and a motor on the M3. $2k for 20 miles, then $2.5k for a motor and $1.5k for 15 miles. Fits nicely. But won’t happen.

To get your 400 miles, the battery pack will need to be 100kwh. Thats almost 50% more cells than the 279 mile variant. So for every 3 SR AWD, you can only make 2 LR+ in terms of 4680 cells. 29% profit margin means about $18k per LR. I’ll be generous and give you $20k for the SR AWD due to the hype surrounding 4680, even though I don’t believe they are cheaper to make, yet. 3x SR AWD at 20k = $60k profit. For WhiteWi, 2x LR+ at 21k is only $42k profit from the same number of cells. For SageBrush, 2x LR+ at 23k is still only $46k profit. You’d need $30k profit from each vehicle to match the SR AWD in total profit. That’s 44-48% profit margin. Cue Steven Tyler…

• Informative
Reactions: KWC_Diu and WhiteWi
I see the same passenger door and trim off as on the Fremont designs. Manuf issue since day 1. If this is Austin I’m shocked this is still an issue!
2F4B52E7-B2BC-43F0-A441-5ECFE84C9483.jpeg

The rear casting is exactly the same. Not sure why gaps etc in rear of car at least be any more precise in Texas with people who have less experience doing it....
Updated factory/machinery would be the obvious reason. Not like people are assembling this car from scratch. Would expect a higher level of standard from a state of the art factory. However I think that overall the level of cars being delivered overall is pretty damn good, and is on par with other manufactures.