Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In that talk with Elon the other day he mentioned that They are unable to produce 2170 MY's at Austin because they were stuck waiting for the tooling from China

So there will be LR & P's coming from austin this year but so one is getting them in a couple months
That interview was from about 3 weeks ago, so they could have gotten the equipment by now. (He did say the issues would be fixed quickly.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC and house9
All these people with no posts just happen to join today to chime in saying I e got one coming too.? Give me a break. We are to believe they’ve only built 2000+ SR AWD in 3 months (even at 2700 that’s 900 per month or 30 per day) and now we’ve seen 2 or 3 confirmed LR AWD vins in the same day when only 2 or 3 people have posted about Austin SR deliveries? And instead of them shipping out of state (which should be easier), they are instead dealing with the hassles of in state sales? 🙄🥱

last time someone posted they had an austin made VIN turned out to be a fake. lol. Unless its on electrek or teslarati, lets take it with a grain of salt. Austin doesn't have any 2170 cells so i'm not sure how they can be producing any LR model Ys. That screenshot looks photoshopped as well, a lot of us have iPhones and the time does not have that same font.

All these people with no posts just happen to join today to chime in saying I e got one coming too.? Give me a break. We are to believe they’ve only built 2000+ SR AWD in 3 months (even at 2700 that’s 900 per month or 30 per day) and now we’ve seen 2 or 3 confirmed LR AWD vins in the same day when only 2 or 3 people have posted about Austin SR deliveries? And instead of them shipping out of state (which should be easier), they are instead dealing with the hassles of in state sales? 🙄🥱

Zero posts, joined 56 minutes ago, getting car next week, but no VIN.... anyone see any red flags here?
Fair, just got excited and wanted to pass along what I heard from my SA. I'll update as soon as I know more!

But why would people lie about it? 🤷‍♂️ Seems pointless to me.

Fair, just got excited and wanted to pass along what I heard from my SA. I'll update as soon as I know more!

But why would people lie about it? 🤷‍♂️ Seems pointless to me.

There were a whole fleet of faked-VIN's supposedly-from the Austin plant earlier this year... I have no idea why people act this way.

Does it seem odd at all to you that this one obscure thread on a message board happens to get 3 different individuals who would have had to have been waiting for almost a year for their car, are knowledgeable about the details of the Austin factory, SA's, and other somewhat-board-specific terms, are located in Texas, all happen to be taking delivery in the next week, but don't have VINs and for some reason all happened to sign up for the first time ever within a couple hours of each other having never had any presence here other than the original poster having been in the business of trying to sell his reservation months ago (and supposedly having a VIN at that time)?

Stick around, show us the car - I'll be shocked but interested.

First time posting here, but I just got the call yesterday from my SA informing me that my Austin built MYLR will be ready for pickup next week! No VIN yet, should get it tomorrow I hope. I live near Austin, which probably helps.
You get a call when you get a vin. I have never received a call to let me know delivery is imminent without having a vin assigned.

last time someone posted they had an austin made VIN turned out to be a fake. lol. Unless its on electrek or teslarati, lets take it with a grain of salt. Austin doesn't have any 2170 cells so i'm not sure how they can be producing any LR model Ys. That screenshot looks photoshopped as well, a lot of us have iPhones and the time does not have that same font.
The font is consistent across both “different” users screenshots fwiw. And it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s photoshopped. Could be a legit SR AWD Y vin that they are claiming is LR to stir the pot. There is also no reason to black out the middle of a vin, or any part of it really. Once the cpar is built it will be public knowledge for anyone who can see the lower drivers windshield area.

You know all this, and yet you've just joined this board a few hours ago? Hmmm....
I’ve been lurking here since Oct. I was as skeptical as others about the previous VINs, but thought it was worth sharing my info since it supports the OP story. I found this thread linked on the Oct order thread that I’ve been following. Guess we will have more info next week if they actually schedule the delivery dates.

Seems odd that people would still be getting Fremont LR VINs as well though. Tesla really producing two different LRs simultaneously?
Tesla has said they will make MYLR with 2170 cells out of Austin so if these are 2170 then the models don't differ all that much. They also could tune the 4680 car to match performance/0-60/charging of a 2170. But I think if this is true then most likely these are the 2170 cars starting to come out of Austin even though 3 weeks ago Elon said the tooling was stuck in China to start doing so.

Tesla has said they will make MYLR with 2170 cells out of Austin so if these are 2170 then the models don't differ all that much. They also could tune the 4680 car to match performance/0-60/charging of a 2170. But I think if this is true then most likely these are the 2170 cars starting to come out of Austin even though 3 weeks ago Elon said the tooling was stuck in China to start doing so.
The casting is still a major change though. Who in their right mind would take delivery of a Fremont LR if (and it’s a big IF) Austin is building a newer version?

The casting is still a major change though. Who in their right mind would take delivery of a Fremont LR if (and it’s a big IF) Austin is building a newer version?
Well Tesla said Austin cars will go to East coast so I guess everyone in the West will be forced to continue to take delivery of Fremont LR. So I don't think I'll ever have a choice. I would have to wait till they make changes to Fremont. I guess if you are in the East then you have a point. Question is, will it make a big enough difference to wait and wait for an Austin car?

I am from San Antonio, TX. Picked up my new MYSR yesterday. I placed the order last week for MYLR and it gave me option that there were other Vehicles available. It gave me the option for 279 mile with the same configuration I selected. I picked one from their options and immediately got the VIN Number. It was delivered yesterday. Really happy with the Car. Did a thorough check on the vehicle before delivery and did not find panel misplacement. BTW the car came with the mobile charger. It has magnetic center console armrest and a parcel shelf.

That interview was from about 3 weeks ago, so they could have gotten the equipment by now. (He did say the issues would be fixed quickly.)
But is it reasonable to think they 1) got the equipment, 2) shipped it to Austin, 3) installed and tested it and 4) started producing cars for delivery shortly? In 3 weeks? I mean, wouldn't it take at least a week to get it across the ocean?