Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As there are so many new drivers here I thought I would share something that might be worth reading up on if you’re not already aware. Tonight on the M25 I experienced the so called ‘phantom braking’, hard braking from around 70mph to 55mph for no apparent reason. It appears to be a known issue and Tesla are under investigation for it. Something for new owners to be aware of. There are several threads on here about it and even the BBC have a story from 5 days ago.

• Informative
Reactions: hairysteve
As there are so many new drivers here I thought I would share something that might be worth reading up on if you’re not already aware. Tonight on the M25 I experienced the so called ‘phantom braking’, hard braking from around 70mph to 55mph for no apparent reason. It appears to be a known issue and Tesla are under investigation for it. Something for new owners to be aware of. There are several threads on here about it and even the BBC have a story from 5 days ago.
Was autopilot or cruise control engaged? So far I've read that people experienced this when using autopilot. I'm probably going to steer clear of it until I see this is fixed as in our previous 2019 golf, this was super dangerous, it would basically emergency break on the motorway every other month.

I note the BBC article you refer to (see Tesla investigated over 'phantom braking' problem) indicates its an autopilot issue, just curious if your experience was the same? Someone on the MY owners UK Facebook page reported the same and autopilot WAS engaged at the time.

Was autopilot or cruise control engaged? So far I've read that people experienced this when using autopilot. I'm probably going to steer clear of it until I see this is fixed as in our previous 2019 golf, this was super dangerous, it would basically emergency break on the motorway every other month.

I note the BBC article you refer to (see Tesla investigated over 'phantom braking' problem) indicates its an autopilot issue, just curious if your experience was the same? Someone on the MY owners UK Facebook page reported the same and autopilot WAS engaged at the time.
Just cruise control, no auto steer or lane change magic. Simple stuff that my X3 managed fine. My wife said that she would not be using cruise until that’s fixed, but seems like it is a know issue for a long time!

Just cruise control, no auto steer or lane change magic. Simple stuff that my X3 managed fine. My wife said that she would not be using cruise until that’s fixed, but seems like it is a know issue for a long time!
Not that it excuses anything or makes it less worrying but my last car (Range Rover) used to do the same phantom braking manoeuvre on occasion - not exclusively a Tesla issue.

Reactions: Silox
Not that it excuses anything or makes it less worrying but my last car (Range Rover) used to do the same phantom braking manoeuvre on occasion - not exclusively a Tesla issue.
It’s not helped by Elon saying that he can see the FSD mode being as good as a human by the end of this year and that was a low bar (I.e as good as a human isn’t good enough), but totally agree it’s not just Tesla.

Reactions: blert
I've only driven a Model 3 and Model Y on test drives but both had full(for UK anyway) Autopilot and I noticed that when they both approached traffic lights the car lifts off and you have to put your foot down a little as if to tell it you have seen the junction and your in control, it is a bit unnerving at first and I did turn it off tbh, happy with Adaptive Cruise seemed more reliable. Apart from seeking out the Max Speed for the road which is dangerous when it hasn't seen the temp speed restriction for roadworks!..

Reactions: Silox
I was in the same situation. It was the first tesla we had and I had bought for her. I since bought her another and kept her old one as a patch until the model Y came out. You would do well to call them and find out as it does state in their T&C's that the car must be in your name. I wasn't taking any chances since am due to collect next Tuesday hence just flogged it to WBAC for slightly more than what tesla was offering anyway. I had high hopes with Motorway in view some reviews on here but that was a total flop for some reason since they set the reserve at £38.500 and their auction barely made £35k!
I was in the same situation. It was the first tesla we had and I had bought for her. I since bought her another and kept her old one as a patch until the model Y came out. You would do well to call them and find out as it does state in their T&C's that the car must be in your name. I wasn't taking any chances since am due to collect next Tuesday hence just flogged it to WBAC for slightly more than what tesla was offering anyway. I had high hopes with Motorway in view some reviews on here but that was a total flop for some reason since they set the reserve at £38.500 and their auction barely made £35k!
I spoke with a Tesla rep this afternoon, date provided was more likely to be 20th March at either Southampton or Bluewater locations for all London and South East deliveries. I’ve requested a home delivery as a result as I’ve sold my trade in vehicle and no real easy way to get to either location for me 😀. Home delivery isn’t a guarantee but they will try their best as it’s a complimentary service.
We’re you able to change your invoice after selling trade in - was it easy

I had merc e-class with advanced pilot on it(full level 2 including lane change) and at times phantom breaking would trigger. It was more prominent in city driving then motorway.

I had the same issue recently while driving a Mercedes’ s class….it’s not just a Tesla issue. If you are expecting it to happen then I think that is half the battle. A bit of fear for 1 second. I think this is the price we pay for advancement in technology.

Reactions: VX Foxy