Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even die hard Tesla supporting youtubers complain about the ride, I'm not sure calling them haters and trolls is appropriate because you've found one person on the internet has a view that the ride is acceptable to them. You may find the ride fine, but any sane person would heed the advice of the many and approach it with at least an open mind and ideally want to try it before they bought it.
Tell you what, I’ll just nip over to the states for a quick test drive then. Thanks for the advice. 👍

I drove a model Y in Switzerland a few months ago, before I moved to the UK. I ordered a model Y in the UK pretty soon after they were available but I am definitely going to test drive again before taking delivery — while the Y in Switzerland was fine on smooth, well-surfaced roads it was definitely crashy and echoey on the rough industrial estate roads where the dealer was. I can imagine the disintegrating "gravel barely stuck to glue" roads common in the UK will be quite unpleasant to drive on.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
YP charging next to us today, red seems pretty rare in Idaho but confirmed my preferred colour choice (with white interior) when I order in another year or so. Prior to seeing this one close up, I would have chosen blue or MSM which also look particularly good.

The owner was absent when I pulled up so I had a close look at the finish & all panel gaps, paint quality and trim alignments looked spot on - maybe with the Model Y Fremont have finally matched Shanghai quality.

YP2.jpeg

YP1.jpeg

Reactions: Campi and kitenski
I drove a model Y in Switzerland a few months ago, before I moved to the UK. I ordered a model Y in the UK pretty soon after they were available but I am definitely going to test drive again before taking delivery — while the Y in Switzerland was fine on smooth, well-surfaced roads it was definitely crashy and echoey on the rough industrial estate roads where the dealer was. I can imagine the disintegrating "gravel barely stuck to glue" roads common in the UK will be quite unpleasant to drive on.
Unfortunately Ducatti has now decided you're a troll and a hater for daring to utter a concern over the ride quality.

For anyone not wanting to be blinkered there's a thread running on the forum already, some good, some bad views

I like the style of the Y but my main, and the obvious, reason to switch is the practicality of the load space and shape. I’m less worried about rear seat space.

This week I’ve helped my daughter move house and I was really surprised at how much I got into the M3 and it’s definitely making me wonder if I need a Y - I easily got a (significantly deconstructed) bed and mattress in with loads more on top.

I imagine there are aftermarket covers but I’m also not keen on not having a cover on the boot space as I often have golf clubs in the boot (but no tools are left overnight 😉).

This and poorer acceleration and range means I think I’ll hold fire when I’m asked to pay the balance and reconsider later when they move to new batteries or another significant step change in the car.

I like to be an early adopter but the £8k+ to switch is proving hard to justify at the moment.

Am I overlooking other benefits of the Y?

Reactions: ACarneiro
We are expecting UK Ys to have a load cover as standard, but unless you need a hatchback and a taller boot (ie for a dog) then I can't see you getting much advantage over your M3.
I disagree. I came from a hatchback to the M3 and I find the boot a huge pain. Yes it is big and you can get a lot in if you pack it carefully but you cannot get large items into it and that includes enough suitcases for a family of 4. or say any chair that does not fold. I will swap for an MY for that reason alone.

Morning all, as we approach the end of 2021 what's the consensus on when the first MY's will be shipped from Shanghai.

My money is shipping on mid Jan 22. If it gets to End of Jan and nothing is shipped there will be a few weeks delay as China closes down in early Feb for their New year.

Morning all, as we approach the end of 2021 what's the consensus on when the first MY's will be shipped from Shanghai.

My money is shipping on mid Jan 22. If it gets to End of Jan and nothing is shipped there will be a few weeks delay as China closes down in early Feb for their New year.
It's a bit confusing with all the media saying March but lease customers being told early to mid Feb. I'm not bothered abut new reg plates so would like as soon as possible noting that I read China might be having another huge COVID wave on top of semiconductor shortages. So not holding my breath but def keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Hi all, first post but have been reading all your posts for a few months for which I thank you. Thought I would just add to this thread with a tiny bit of info I got from Chester Tesla.

I was told that all Model Y reservations made up until Jan will all be delivered by the 30th March. Obviously there are external factors that may change that but that is what I’ve been told that Tesla are aiming for.

Not sure if you are leasing but I’d have a guess that includes the lease companies too.

Apart from that tit bit of info that probably helps no one, I can’t wait for mine to arrive and have my Hypervolt being installed in Feb (using my wife’s A3 e-tron for the grant).

Looking forward to contributing to this great forum.

Reactions: Campi and Js1977
Viewed the Westfield LR MY today and was pleasantly surprised at the depth and volume of storage, head space in rear and more elevated driving position. It felt like quite a different car to the M3 and will be a useful addition.

The Tesla sales rep couldn’t confirm parcel shelf or whether UK cars in Q2/3 would come from
Germany, but did say UK cars would have the darkened rear side glass that the Westfield car has.

The car looked good in red with upgraded wheels, but I’m still worried about the ride quality. All in all, I haven’t changed my spec - grey/black/standard wheels.

Reactions: dazzap