Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monring all,

Just back from the test drive which was a grey colour with 20 inch black rims.

I ordered the red but with 19's as people said the drive was hard, but having now driven it I would have taken the 20's in black. My other cars are a BMW X3 M40i and M135i and both are a firmer drive even in comfort mode.

I need a towball and they all now come with the fittings but without the neck attachment & could not confirm if they would charge just for a neck or Tesla Price for the whole towball which could be around £1k.

Not driven a Tesla before and admit I miss not having head up display and the big red speed limit in front of me, not a dealbreaker for us.

Love the red paint, so pleased with the choice.

Build quality was better than expected and other than swirl marks on the paint I could not find anything obvious.

The height diff between the Y and the 3 is very noticeable, and I think the Y is really the better choice of the 2.

Like the fact that the window opens a fraction when opening the door so not to damage the rubber seals.

It was raining - and there no rear windscreen wiper, which is for me is like wearing shoes without socks but again not the end of the world (RAIN-X is my friend from my Land Rover days)

Regenerative braking was noticeable and one peddle driving is very easy.

View out the front is brilliant, out the back is a real disappointment, but one will adjust accordingly.

Acceleration was comparable with my petrol engine M40i and M135i just without any engine noise.

Delivery for early orders will be around March

You can use your order number to qualify for the home charging Govt incentive, which is good as I thought you would need to wait for your VIN.

Mrs is petit and 5 foot, and the drive height and steering wheel adjustments were perfect for her. Worth noting for the smaller ladies.

The red car is a left hooker which you can ask to drive if you want an extended drive after your 30 min. The car we drove is grey.

Overall experience was brilliant, great service, answered all my questions including the impact to my order if I wanted 20's instead of 19's. I won't be changing the order 😊

Most of what I have written you will probably already know, but it doesn't hurt to share.

Regards

Steve
Great insight thanks. But even if you have your order number you can’t currently claim the charger Incentive as the MY isn’t on the list of approved cars. Hopefully it’ll be added soon!

Why stagger the LR and P for UK? P is being built in China as we speak. Is there 6 months worth of backlog for P from China for Europe before UK deliveries mid year? We all know P is more profitable for Tesla, so it’s strange P UK deliveries are 6 months later. Who knows.

Hi All. New member here. Ordered my MYLR on day of release so hoping to be delivered in Feb/Mar.

I see a lot of post from people desperate for German deliveries over those from China. I understand there will be differences in manufacture and batteries, but are we expecting anything really noticeable, or is this the usual craving for the newest of the new?

Thanks!

Since I knew it wasn't on their online quote forms yet, I thought I'd give Direct Line and Churchill a call to see if they could get a quote together for the Y. Unfortunately, neither have it on their systems yet and basically if it's not available online yet, then they don't support it.

Has anyone had success elsewhere?

Reactions: Brian50
Just done a test drive of the Model Y at Thorpe Park. Totally empty. No parcel shelf in any of the cars (or any obvious place to put one that I saw (wasn't looking though)

Really liked it and felt very similar to my M3 in terms of feeling the bumps etc now to wait for delivery.

Monring all,

Just back from the test drive which was a grey colour with 20 inch black rims.

I ordered the red but with 19's as people said the drive was hard, but having now driven it I would have taken the 20's in black. My other cars are a BMW X3 M40i and M135i and both are a firmer drive even in comfort mode.

I need a towball and they all now come with the fittings but without the neck attachment & could not confirm if they would charge just for a neck or Tesla Price for the whole towball which could be around £1k.

Not driven a Tesla before and admit I miss not having head up display and the big red speed limit in front of me, not a dealbreaker for us.

Love the red paint, so pleased with the choice.

Build quality was better than expected and other than swirl marks on the paint I could not find anything obvious.

The height diff between the Y and the 3 is very noticeable, and I think the Y is really the better choice of the 2.

Like the fact that the window opens a fraction when opening the door so not to damage the rubber seals.

It was raining - and there no rear windscreen wiper, which is for me is like wearing shoes without socks but again not the end of the world (RAIN-X is my friend from my Land Rover days)

Regenerative braking was noticeable and one peddle driving is very easy.

View out the front is brilliant, out the back is a real disappointment, but one will adjust accordingly.

Acceleration was comparable with my petrol engine M40i and M135i just without any engine noise.

Delivery for early orders will be around March

You can use your order number to qualify for the home charging Govt incentive, which is good as I thought you would need to wait for your VIN.

Mrs is petit and 5 foot, and the drive height and steering wheel adjustments were perfect for her. Worth noting for the smaller ladies.

The red car is a left hooker which you can ask to drive if you want an extended drive after your 30 min. The car we drove is grey.

Overall experience was brilliant, great service, answered all my questions including the impact to my order if I wanted 20's instead of 19's. I won't be changing the order 😊

Most of what I have written you will probably already know, but it doesn't hurt to share.

Regards

Steve
Thanks for the review. What did they say about the impact of changing to the inductions? I assume at this stage it may delay but I’m still undecided. Probably will get some aftermarket 20’s and use the geminis for winter.

I see a lot of post from people desperate for German deliveries over those from China. I understand there will be differences in manufacture and batteries, but are we expecting anything really noticeable, or is this the usual craving for the newest of the new?

Thanks!
Berlin (and Texas) are supposed to have the “structural” 4680 battery pack which could be used to make the car lighter/cheaper for the same range or to extend range by packing in more kWh’s into the same space. I think the overall improvement of the new cells could be about 16%

You could argue that buying now at the tail end of 2170 batteries is like buying a 4G phone just as 5G models were announced and if that worries people they’ll hold off… but how long do you want to wait with no garuntees that you’d get extra range or cheaper cost because they are marketing decisions. If I was them I’d add an “extra long range” model and charge more for it!

I’ve been waiting for a decent SUV EV since even before the disappointment of the M3 being a saloon. I suspect second hand demand will be very strong with long lead times for new so I’m going to buy now and enjoy it!

Berlin (and Texas) are supposed to have the “structural” 4680 battery pack which could be used to make the car lighter/cheaper for the same range or to extend range by packing in more kWh’s into the same space. I think the overall improvement of the new cells could be about 16%

You could argue that buying now at the tail end of 2170 batteries is like buying a 4G phone just as 5G models were announced and if that worries people they’ll hold off… but how long do you want to wait with no garuntees that you’d get extra range or cheaper cost because they are marketing decisions. If I was them I’d add an “extra long range” model and charge more for it!

I’ve been waiting for a decent SUV EV since even before the disappointment of the M3 being a saloon. I suspect second hand demand will be very strong with long lead times for new so I’m going to buy now and enjoy it!
I'm pretty certain Berlin is supposed to start production with the 2170's rather than the new battery format right away anyway. I'd therefore not want to hold out given it's a very loose timeframe (might not even be producing right hand drives either).

Reactions: Arran

Thanks for your thoughts dazzap. My view is that these vehicles will be constantly changing as the EV space is developing so fast, so whatever you get there will always be something ‘better’ round the corner. I’m going to get mine now, enjoy it and maybe upgrade in a couple of years if technology has moved on enough to warrant it. Cheers.

Thanks for your thoughts dazzap. My view is that these vehicles will be constantly changing as the EV space is developing so fast, so whatever you get there will always be something ‘better’ round the corner. I’m going to get mine now, enjoy it and maybe upgrade in a couple of years if technology has moved on enough to warrant it. Cheers.
Agreed. Also, as with the Model 3, people swapped quite easily - and made the most of the demand/inflated prices at the same time.

There are a few things that are making people think like that:

Some historic view that German engineering and quality will make these vehicles better. Personally if they come out like some VAG vehicles I'd rather have one from China.

The new 4680 battery, but Tesla has already stated that German production won't start with these and at some point the China factory will have to start using them as well so ultimately there won't be a difference.

The factory being newer should be more efficient (which is only really a benefit to Tesla not the vehicle owners). China seem to have consistent panels gaps now so unless Tesla are going to make slightly larger body panels and start to reduce the gap sizes I'm not sure you will be able to tell any difference to the fit and finish.

The paint shop is going to be better - hopefully a better finish and more choice (eventually).

But there will no doubt be some teething problems so everything gets dialled in so I'm not sure I'd want one of the early ones coming out of the factory.

Reactions: VX Foxy
Just done a test drive of the Model Y at Thorpe Park. Totally empty. No parcel shelf in any of the cars (or any obvious place to put one that I saw (wasn't looking though)

Really liked it and felt very similar to my M3 in terms of feeling the bumps etc now to wait for delivery

I dont suppose anyone checked for the missing usb ports or wireless charging 🤔