Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
, they are equally as frustrated
"Frustrated?" Yes, they must be. Not fun being on the receiving end of frustrated customers for months on end. I mean, I wouldn't do it, at least not without a salary.

"Equally Frustrated? "🤔

I think the equaliser, for us, would be something to assuage our frustration, say in
the form of a weekly reduction in our final invoice from the end of our first EDD period to the eventual delivery of the car.

To be fair though, it's all a matter of force majeure and the Tesla folk are a good bunch.

There is a lot of worse stuff going on in the world than vehicle delays...... so I am told!🤔

Now then ..... what did SWMBO mean by : "Keep a sense of proportion and maybe even....oh I don't know.......get a life?"

Right! EDD time.

Reactions: Sw1000
Rookie numbers! :p
When the weekly EDD viewing numbers are checked by Tesla, the 7 a day apathy will be noted and he will be put back until Christmas with the year unspecified.

7 a day! a significant number in the context of fruit and veg! This is our new car's eventual, possible, could be, well you never know, stranger things have happened DELIVERY DATE......

Yeah same, luckily I manage the fleet at work so when communicating with my contact at the lease company I throw in the "Any news on my Tesla" question every now and again. Fingers crossed speccing the 20" inductions was a good idea and we see the cars towards the end if June.

Ha, yeah, from what I can tell the lease company hate dealing with Tesla because they’re always unable to provide any kind of meaningful update! I try and limit myself to asking for updates every two weeks.

MYLR/White/Black/Gemini - ordered from Lex via lease company 9th April. Lease company said yesterday that they get a weekly update from Tesla that just says Allocation Pending, but I'll know before they do re: delivery/collection date. Got spoilt borrowing a colleagues M3LR couple of weeks ago and now I'm obsessed. Coming from a Ford Ranger I can't blimmin' wait. Good luck on the latest June delivery updates all!

:-( Just got bumped to 'July' for my revised date. Leaving my signature as was for the moment.......sad to say I'm now hoping someone will cancel theirs. Any other MY White/White/Gemini got their delivery date changed?
My original order was placed October 15th I had to delay taking delivery a few times whilst making a final decision (we had taken delivery of on in March so wanted to see before committing to buying another) was given a date of June 25th-30th to collect from Staines. Sadly my delivery date disappeared and now nothing shows on my account, same spec as yours.

I have a MY LR red/white/ Gemini on order, my ED has gone from June to August/September to July, I ordered in March and was offered a car matching my spec the following week but I was not ready for it so I had to say no which was a shame. I am hoping to get an updated car with the parcel shelf etc so the delay may not be a bad thing.

Couldn’t wait any longer !! Needed to get a car quick in the end and this fell on my lap with Hardly any miles on the clock.

Anyone else thinking about doing the same ?

Attachments

• 8B99B45B-AB89-4FA2-8BB3-D2FA304D4AF6.png
    8B99B45B-AB89-4FA2-8BB3-D2FA304D4AF6.png
    725 KB · Views: 66
  • AEEFA04E-F094-4946-9A1A-4D930EFF2CC9.jpeg
    AEEFA04E-F094-4946-9A1A-4D930EFF2CC9.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 51
If I order same spec today get same EDD of mid September so have I lost any advantage of ordering in March?
The EDD saga looks like a shambles to us. To Tesla, they may think it’s a flawless algorithm. Reality probably puts it somewhere in between.

Speculation: People think that Tesla build in batches. This probably isn’t too speculative because, from a manufacturing process, it only makes sense to build in batches. Taken to the limit, if they “build to order” they would be getting, say, 300 orders per day with multiple different specs and building one, then the other, then another, in that same day, just wouldn’t make sense.

Speculation thickens: So they design an algorithm that predicts the number of orders they’ll get within any specific week/month/quarter (whatever it is). They base this off past performance and whatever factors they want to include (which will probably be many). So they may prioritise medium-spec relatively high volume/high margin cars at the beginning of the quarter (or month or whatever) and then aim to have the low-margin high volume cars towards the end. Then they may try to squeeze in the in between stuff too. People say they favour FSD and that’s probably true, but lets just say in any given period of time, they think only 50 orders of Red/Black/SR 3’s will be ordered and only 4 have FSD… maybe this “batch” is due to be built in the last month of the quarter. I don’t think they’re going to prioritise the 4 FSD orders because, it’s software they can simply add to the car after production. But lets say all 50 orders include FSD, then they may think that that’s worth enough to prioritise because it means more money sooner.

Thankfully, my order still says 26-30 June (though I know that could change at ANY time). But lets just say Tesla had already built a batch of 500 of the same spec car that I ordered when they opened up, and 498 of those they had orders to match in the UK. I come along on 1 May after a test drive that weekend and place my order. They now have 499 of that batch matched to orders…

The question is, why do some move and some don’t? That, nobody knows. And nobody knows whether the batch and match theory is true either. If I were to guess, in amongst all this batching, they know that at some point in the production cycle, they’re going to come back to making that same spec batch again. But with all the issues we’ve been facing this quarter, they may realise - only after some time - that that batch needs to be pushed back either as a reprioritisation exercise, or because they don’t have the parts arriving, or whatever.

The point is, nobody really knows. All we can do is piece together evidence in order to formulate theories that help us arrive at better explanations of the reality.

(edit: all of the above doesn’t even account for SHIPPING! So add that layer, and it’s clear why people’s EDDs are bouncing like a yo-yo!)

Good luck to all!

if they “build to order” they would be getting, say, 300 orders per day with multiple different specs and building one, then the other, then another, in that same day, just wouldn’t make sense

Other car makers do that - different colour / specs coming down the line one after the other.

I don’t think they’re going to prioritise the 4 FSD orders because, it’s software they can simply add to the car after production

Because they are not building to order, they have not (yet) promised that Red Car to anyone / order in particular, thus when the allocation is fine tuned, as delivery date gets closer, they may allocate cars from that batch first to FSD customers, then EAP ... and finally plain orders - if, by that time, there are more orders than cars then (in this hypothetical scenario) the Plain Car Order will get bumped. Ditto they may prioritise based on finance / cash / trade-in / collection-location / customer profile and anything else that either generates more margin or streamlines handover - there is a finite limit on handovers at Bluewater ... and considerably more extra time for car-transporters to get to Edinburgh ... which creates an opportunity to switch-and-swap between those combinations. All optimised as best as possible to increase their margins, which makes it harder for the competition to catch-up.

The benefit of batch-build rather than build-to-is order is that it provides that agility and flexibility, flip-side is that they can only offer a modest number of colour / trim options - so it is OK for them to make some-of-each and still be able to sell them - they may yet get an order for that options-set between build, ship and arrival in UK; if not any that are not allocated against an order can go into inventory and at quarter's end those get snapped up - including by people who ditch their existing backlogged order in favour of inventory - maybe they were never fussy on colour / wheels etc ... or maybe they compromise to get car sooner.

why do some move and some don’t?

Cars are still going into production up to one month before end of quarter, and maybe they choose to push-back a batch in favour of a batch of higher-value cars (because order rate is supporting that) - and then a bunch of preliminarily-allocated orders get pushed back - or, I think more likely at this particular time, they have supply problems and cannot make that batch so they schedule a different options-combination instead ... but even in months where there are no supply problems they may get better cost-price / throughput by fiddling with their just-in-time suppliers to optimise the build rate, or the build schedule is continuously adjusted to optimise the shipping / handover logistics ... and then that is reflected in the customer's EDD

Tesla are making cars in much less time than, say, VW, and the agility of their batch-process is part of that achievement.