Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My read of the tea-leaves:

Lots moved EDD (a while back) to roughly a 14 day interval at end of June - that looked encouraging (e.g. "Preliminary allocation of Order to a Build Batch")

Plenty of VINs have now been assigned. They have been assigned much sooner than we have come to expect in previous quarters (normally 14 days-ish before handover). Maybe staff are bored ... or so few cars coming this quarter that they have just got on with it.

Plenty moved from end-June-date-range to Aug-Sep - I think reasonable to assume they've missed out on Q2

Some still left with the original End-June-EDD - hard to know if they will firm up, or not.

Then there are some with "May". I take that to be "Unallocated", but seems surprising they haven't moved to "Aug-Sep" ... so maybe "Pending"

And then there are also "July". Tesla never (normally ...) deliver cars to UK in 1st month of Quarter. There is some suggestion this is a different "Unallocated/Pending" bucket - e.g. "Pending any cancellations"

Tesla will have a good idea of what percentage of VIN allocations result in "Can't take delivery" i.e. customer either Cancels or Postpones. Those are then reallocated (and if Tesla wind up with "stock" at the end of the Quarter - i.e. a Car and no matching Order (**) - then that goes into Inventory ... and someone snaps it up (and if they convert from an existing order they drops out of the queue). So maybe "July" is their "Likely Percentage Cancellations" bucket

(**) Tesla may not bother to try to match Stock with Orders. Not sure if/when this happens but, for example, if very close to end of quarter month they may phone around trying to find someone who can take it "tomorrow". To do that you have to be able to pay ... and many people will have bank accounts with £10K daily limit, or a host of other reasons why "tomorrow" is not possible. So anyone with Finance may fail that process (or maybe, conversely, everyone with Finance can take advantage of that e.g. if Finance company has Ace Admin!! / instant-pay arrangement with Tesla - I absolutely Dunno! on that point)

In summary I think:

Anyone still holding 15-30-June EDD (i.e. No VIN yet) is a surprise. Maybe holding for "Possible cancellation", but would have expected to have already changed to Aug-Sep.

"May" and "July" are also a surprise, but I suspect that "July" is "Hold for cancellation". Also just possible that they are expecting Boat so late that they may not, quite, complete the handover before end-June, and "July" will yet firm up to either 30-June or 01-July :)

In that regard I would have no idea what "May" is

I reckon you have become old, like me ...
I really like this theory, and it makes a lot of sense so this is what I was thinking originally.

But looking at the various surveys done on this forum, and the 144 replies for MYs, apparently, my config choice (MSM/White) is 2% of orders. (And this is bearing in mind that excluding wheels and software options, there are only 10 possible combinations...).
Therefore I can't imagine there could be a 'possible cancellation buffer' ahead of me that could still put me in the balance for July... So maybe it's something else, or just because it matches the date I was given originally when ordering... After all, why did they even display "July" on their config page if it's not a month where they deliver? Their algorithm should know that and should have put me straight for either June (was before the Shanghai lockdown), or September...
Or jury's still out internally at Tesla on whether they should send another ship or not in the next few weeks... Anyway we'll see....

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I really like this theory, and it makes a lot of sense so this is what I was thinking originally.

But looking at the various surveys done on this forum, and the 144 replies for MYs, apparently, my config choice (MSM/White) is 2% of orders. (And this is bearing in mind that excluding wheels and software options, there are only 10 possible combinations...).
Therefore I can't imagine there could be a 'possible cancellation buffer' ahead of me that could still put me in the balance for July... So maybe it's something else, or just because it matches the date I was given originally when ordering... After all, why did they even display "July" on their config page if it's not a month where they deliver? Their algorithm should know that and should have put me straight for either June (was before the Shanghai lockdown), or September...
Or jury's still out internally at Tesla on whether they should send another ship or not in the next few weeks... Anyway we'll see....
I agree too, but given the shut downs delays ect, why would they not try and deliver as many as they can as soon as they can? including July? It's so confusing and a weird sales technique Do i fancy waiting another 3 months or do i go with the competition? Although either way Tesla does offer the greater value on spec, hence will suck it and see like everyone else too.

Shows 7+12 weeks for me. Are you looking at a current version of the web page or something that might be stored from a cookie? Hasn't showed expected delivery month on Zen.auto or electric.auto for a few weeks now.
Free June Delivery at the top!!!

Attachments

• 1D716AAD-1C5D-4F6E-804D-91E394965483.png
    1D716AAD-1C5D-4F6E-804D-91E394965483.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: kingkongy
Yeah it’s confusing but when I ordered it just said June, and still no VIN
Mine was the same and agreement also references June delivery as does the order in my account, I could actually choose a May delivery for a red vehicle at time of ordering.

I think there’s still hope, I spotted today that Carparison leasing are now advertising July delivery vehicles as in-stock.

Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD 5dr Auto Personal Leasing

I really disagree with this form of advertising when it’s seemingly speculation, but maybe something will happen in the next week 🤞

Reactions: MrMoonUK
Yeah it’s confusing but when I ordered it just said June, and still no VIN
My order on my account still shows the available for June bit but all of us Zen orders are just in the dark about it all which sucks. I’ve got a holiday in July and was hoping to have the car for that time but it was wishful thinking!

Attachments

• 0C47EF0D-352A-4925-B339-CF8C200AB3A7.jpeg
    0C47EF0D-352A-4925-B339-CF8C200AB3A7.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: kingkongy
I think Tesla are the hopeless ones, especially when they don’t allocate orders in any kind of system. Lots of examples of people getting cars who ordered same spec after others
The issue I have is that they are not giving updates even when they have them. Not a big deal for us on here because our expectations are pretty well managed. The average customer is even more in the dark.

Reactions: ElsDee