Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Insurance Quotes Gone Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the insurance rates disappointing as the Y is in the same group as the 3, I pay £550 for my M3 LR (Peugot admittedly) and getting £1700 from Admiral for a Y LR. I had sorted of expected the quotes to come down as deliveries started but even if I can get this down a bit with directline it seems Y is about double the cost to insure. Its a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

I had some fun getting my MYLR insured for it's delivery later this week (1st problem was getting Tesla to confirm the Reg. they changed it twice!)
Direct Line website currently not giving quotes for Tesla (showing an error message once you select tesla). Not ideal for Tesla's preferred UK insurers.

After much shopping around and getting quotes around £1700 the best I got was Admiral @ £1100 - through compare the meerkat, which was £350 cheaper than going direct. Surprisingly the quotes I got 2 weeks ago were better than the ones I got this week. you would have thought that with more cars on the road the rates would get cheaper. and some major insurers like LV _still_ don't have the car on their system
It really seems like insurers haven't worked out how to deal with this car..

I had some fun getting my MYLR insured for it's delivery later this week (1st problem was getting Tesla to confirm the Reg. they changed it twice!)
Direct Line website currently not giving quotes for Tesla (showing an error message once you select tesla). Not ideal for Tesla's preferred UK insurers.

After much shopping around and getting quotes around £1700 the best I got was Admiral @ £1100 - through compare the meerkat, which was £350 cheaper than going direct. Surprisingly the quotes I got 2 weeks ago were better than the ones I got this week. you would have thought that with more cars on the road the rates would get cheaper. and some major insurers like LV _still_ don't have the car on their system
It really seems like insurers haven't worked out how to deal with this car..
This may sound like bollox, but I also used Moneysupermarket who probe the same insurance companies as Meerkats and came back over £150 cheaper. Yes, it was like for like!

It’s always best to quote around 21 days before you actually need the policy. Even if you find a random reg and quote on that. If you need to change the reg, they’ll still give you the price quoted. Quoting a few days before you need the Insurance makes tells them that you’re desperate thus, the prices increase.

Reactions: Durzel
It’s always best to quote around 21 days before you actually need the policy. Even if you find a random reg and quote on that. If you need to change the reg, they’ll still give you the price quoted. Quoting a few days before you need the Insurance makes tells them that you’re desperate thus, the prices increase.
A way around the last minute price hike is to get a quote for 21 days in the future and then ring them (or do it online if they offer that) and amend the start date before the policy commences. Being an inherently disorganised person I've had to do that a few times and without any problems 🙂

Moderator update:

We have two insurance threads running, this one and one thats slightly older:

I've posted in both without realising they were different so other may well make the same mistake.

I don't want to simply merge the two threads as context quickly gets lost and it can be confusing when reading back, but I don't see why we need 2, Can we please use the other thread from now on please. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.