Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
about the 7 seater, why do people keep saying it's impossible, it's literally only for children, etc. there are vehicles of similar size not generally available in the US that do have 7 seat configs, like the Toyota Wish and Prius V 7 seater. Granted I would not want to sit back there for a road trip, but people are making sound like they are the jump seats in the Model S.

Yeah, the Prius V 7-seat taxis were a real help when traveling with four kids in Italy - could get in one cab instead of two. Convenient for short trips.

The interior cutaway shot shows the 3rd row without headrests... probably not enough room? This communicates to me that it's really not adequate for an adult. I'm wondering if it's even legal to have an adult in that 3rd row without a headrest for whiplash protection in an accident? Interesting though that they had 6 adults get out of the car after it drove on stage... slightly clown-car-esque.

Interesting that they already know 3rd row won't be ready until 2021. There must be some work to be done still related to the back of the vehicle - perhaps related to safety of 3rd row occupants. Folks weren't really allowed to mess with the 3rd row or hatch last night so I assume those are not finalized.

The interior cutaway shot shows the 3rd row without headrests... probably not enough room? This communicates to me that it's really not adequate for an adult. I'm wondering if it's even legal to have an adult in that 3rd row without a headrest for whiplash protection in an accident? Interesting though that they had 6 adults get out of the car after it drove on stage... slightly clown-car-esque.

I think it's telling that only 6 came out instead of 7. From the little I've saw on YouTuber live streams, "seats 7 adults and their gear" (or whatever the marketing verbage is) seems like a pipe dream.

Or maybe the 7th person had to contort themselves so much that they were stuck in there and had to be extracted off-stage...

Your understanding of why rates are high has nothing to do with the fact that they can be high enough to wipe out fuel savings compared to petrol.
Just to add some perspective to this, while the statement is true, it only (or close to it) effects those whom own an EV and do not have PV. I think that if we polled all the EV owners with rates above 30 cents a kWh for their marginal EV charging we would find only a handful without PV.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I think it's very possible the Model Y is THE vehicle that signals the death knell for SUV popularity.

Is this where we are now? That a few inches higher seating position is what defines an SUV? When the SUV is nearly indistinguishable from the car it's based on, will people finally start to ask "What do I need this for, then?"

Why would anyone purchase this over the Model 3? What single thing does it do better than the Model 3? The hatchback? Is that it?

Is having a slightly taller flank and a slightly higher roofline really that important to people? What shortcoming of the Model 3 do those items address? Is headroom an issue in the Model 3?

Also, someone is going to have to show me how there is a third row of seats in this design, because there is simply no way. Unless there's an extended wheelbase version coming.

Somewhere along the line, automakers forgot there was supposed to be certain amount of U in an SUV to justify buying the thing. An SUV with a sedan roofline. Everyone has lost the plot.

Agreed.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of any utility advantage over the 3. Tesla forgot that designs/models should differentiate themselves by the problems they solve and the solutions they offer. A hatch does not make a car an suv.

The fact they rammed a third row in this thing and are advertising it as a 7 seater suggests to me that they really don’t understand the market they are going after long term. Short term... sure the car will sell just due to the rarity of desirable electric car alternatives. But this is a car that does not provide solutions above those already provided by the 3.

I think it's very possible the Model Y is THE vehicle that signals the death knell for SUV popularity.

Is this where we are now? That a few inches higher seating position is what defines an SUV? When the SUV is nearly indistinguishable from the car it's based on, will people finally start to ask "What do I need this for, then?"

Why would anyone purchase this over the Model 3? What single thing does it do better than the Model 3? The hatchback? Is that it?

Is having a slightly taller flank and a slightly higher roofline really that important to people? What shortcoming of the Model 3 do those items address? Is headroom an issue in the Model 3?

Also, someone is going to have to show me how there is a third row of seats in this design, because there is simply no way. Unless there's an extended wheelbase version coming.

Somewhere along the line, automakers forgot there was supposed to be certain amount of U in an SUV to justify buying the thing. An SUV with a sedan roofline. Everyone has lost the plot.

If anything, it would be a death knell to sedans. You get the same benefits of a sedan but with additional utility/storage. Without the taller flank would be great.

When I was in Italy last year, I was counting sedans vs. other cars and it was probably less than 1 in 20. They have vehicle for sale in Italy called "station/sports wagons" which are great but I think they may be illegal to sell in the U.S.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
If anything, it would be a death knell to sedans. You get the same benefits of a sedan but with additional utility/storage. Without the taller flank would be great.

When I was in Italy last year, I was counting sedans vs. other cars and it was probably less than 1 in 20. They have vehicle for sale in Italy called "station/sports wagons" which are great but I think they may be illegal to sell in the U.S.

This is precisely my point.

Long ago, people stopped buying station wagons because of the negative connotations; no one wants to drive the dorky car their dad drove. Folks moved to minivans. Then people stopped buying them because no one wanted to drive a mommymobile. Someday, young people will not want to drive an SUV like their parents did. I guarantee this.

There will always be SUVs, and minivans, and station wagons. But when this is what is being trotted out as an SUV, then what is the justification of this over a station wagon? Ride height? Are folks going to figure out soon that we don't live in Angola and ride height is such a non-requirement in the US as to be laughable?

Last edited:

Well it does have blacked out trim too, so....

Not being able to fit a 300 pound person in the optional third row of a crossover based on the Model 3 is one of the crazier complaints I have ever heard anyone make about a Tesla. Did your 300 pound mother in law fit in the third row of your Leaf?
I would give her the whole back row in the Leaf and she could lay in it sideways. She would sweat so much though, especially in summer, that I was constantly treating the leather. That’s why I need a Tesla, because the interior is easy to clean with baby wipes.

Also, I had the Bose sound system so I could crank up the volume whenever she talked. That’s why premium audio is a must for me.

If I had kids and drove carpool or such I would be looking at this seriously. I love my Model 3 LR AWD so know I would probably already love this vehicle. And yes the liftgate, which I miss from our MS, is one of those determining features for people.

After the reveal there was someone’s test drive video I think (or maybe a shot of the inside during the reveal) where I could see a woman in the 3rd row so the seats were there. Weren’t two seats shown?