Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. If you have 7 people to tote around, at least two of them are very likely to be kids. You'd be able to have 5 adults and two kids (or two carseats) in this. Or 2 adults and 5 kids. That may be the very thing that convinces a potential X4/GLE/Q4/QX50/Macan buyer to choose this.

Have you ever driven a MX with all 7 seats occupied? It is cramped. Even just one or two car seats make it even more cramped. Now try doing that into a car with the wheelbase of the Model 3.

A few of my neighbors have a Model 3. With two car seats in the back, no way they fit a 3rd adult comfortably. That’s why they also have a bigger vehicle, such as a minivan or larger SUV (model X, Escalade, Q7).

If you watch the video from Like Tesla, she mentions that the 3rd row is so small that neither an adult or a car seat would be able to fit back there. And rear-facing car seats require much more front-to-back space than an adult. Even forward facing, there will be a lot of car seats that do not fit there because of height, such as the Clek seats. I’m guessing ideal age range of passenger that can fit back there is a small child just beginning to use a booster.

Surprised the cutaway image of the seat layout that you posted shows the 3rd row with missing headrests....is that even legal?
I’m wondering why Tesla didn’t make the 3rd row be jump seats just like in the MS. Makes more sense to do it that way, especially with the low sloping roof line.

Excuse me. I meant saving on not having to buy gas (due to driving an EV). Why does it seem like it's difficult to communicate with you?
I don't intend to be difficult, only to answer the question honestly and with relevant content. I guess this question was meant to be rhetorical? I'm certain that it would be easier to communicate with me if I didn't post... or if I just answered with what you wanted to hear. :) . (Plus, my answer #2 was in response to the poster that YOU were responding to... not to your response that I quoted. My bad for being confusing).

Agreed. And....I was SO hoping that we wouldn't see side mirrors on the Y (Hell, I had expected the 3 to introduce cameras!)

Side mirrors are required by law in almost every state. If you remember the Semi didn't have side mirrors when it was introduced, yet, it had mirrors when it drove in during the presentation (and had to fold them in to fit through the entrance).

IIRC both Hawaii and parts of CA can reach over 50 cents a kWh.

Electricity in Hawaii varies by the island. Last I checked, we were paying around $0.37 on Kauai and all the other well-populated islands were quite similar. The price on Kauai has come down a bit due to two new utility-scale solar farms that are impressive for their vast size. They have battery storage too and there are plans for similar additions that will further reduce their need to burn oil to make electricity. No populated island with paved roads of any distance pays $0.50 and most Hawaii EV owners already have rooftop solar to charge their EV's with. Gasoline on Kauai is currently pushing $3.00/gal. but it's not unusual for it to be above $4/gal. (and it's been over $6/gallon). If it were not for the fact that Hawaiians drive so few miles each month, they would be flocking to EV's for the fuel savings.

Californians are being ripped off by the deregulation that the energy companies pulled on them a number of years back. A total scam.

But it kills me when people compare the fuel cost of a car like the Prius that is one of the slowest-accelerating cars on the road with a car that is faster than most Ferraris.

Side mirrors are required by law in almost every state. If you remember the Semi didn't have side mirrors when it was introduced, yet, it had mirrors when it drove in during the presentation (and had to fold them in to fit through the entrance).
Yup. I know that we have the antiquated law (pretty sure that it is federal, and thus for every state). One more thing that needs changing... as is happening in other countries.

But it kills me when people compare the fuel cost of a car like the Prius that is one of the slowest-accelerating cars on the road with a car that is faster than most Ferraris.
Again, I was not trying to kill you. I was merely answering the question. My last gas car was a Prius, not a Ferrari. Had it been a Ferrari I would have had less cargo room in the car... yet my fuel cost for the Tesla certainly would be lower. And for sure my Prius is as fast as a Ferrari... provided I drive it off a cliff with a tail wind. (note that my wife and I are currently arguing over who will be stuck with the Prius tomorrow as we need to head different directions at the same time. As suspected, I'm losing).

Smile and be happy. I'm really not trying to be annoying... mostly.

Again, I was not trying to kill you. I was merely answering the question. My last gas car was a Prius, not a Ferrari. Had it been a Ferrari I would have had less cargo room in the car... yet my fuel cost for the Tesla certainly would be lower. And for sure my Prius is as fast as a Ferrari... provided I drive it off a cliff with a tail wind. (note that my wife and I are currently arguing over who will be stuck with the Prius tomorrow as we need to head different directions at the same time. As suspected, I'm losing).

Smile and be happy. I'm really not trying to be annoying... mostly.

Well, you're not very skilled at it.

Have a great drive in your Prius (saving all of almost nothing).;)

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Well, sure is not a looker. Yes you can reach the buyers who just care about range and price...(leaf/Prius anyone?)...but there is a subset of people who really do care how the vehicle looks. Those headlights, ouch. Taillights, ouch. The seemingly out of proportion front end, ouch.

Ok, well let’s disregard the aesthetics for a second and focus on utility. Why slope the back end so much? Is the increased range worth the loss of functionality? Yes there is cargo room....but is it useable? Can a dog stand up? What will the rear passenger comfort be like with that sharp sloping roofline? Square it off! Put the utility back in CUV.

I Was expecting something more of a SUV/CUV styled vehicle which obviously sell really really well. Not a BMW X6/ Mercedes GLE styled vehicle which obviously do not sell that well.

And while I am on my negativity kick....
Stop putting gas savings into price!
Put 360 degree views of your vehicles exterior and interior on your website.

I love our ludicrous Model X, but I also like Ferraris. So, don’t want to get in the way of your discussio, but just want to make a correction. Only two of Ferrari’s lineup is rated slower than 3 seconds flat for 0-60. And all will be faster than a Tesla beyond the 1/4 mile. Not sure your average Tesla is faster than most Ferrari’s.

Ok, well let’s disregard the aesthetics for a second and focus on utility. Why slope the back end so much? Is the increased range worth the loss of functionality? Yes there is cargo room....but is it useable? Can a dog stand up? What will the rear passenger comfort be like with that sharp sloping roofline? Square it off! Put the utility back in CUV.

And while I am on my negativity kick....
Stop putting gas savings into price!
Put 360 degree views of your vehicles exterior and interior on your website.

It makes sense Tesla designed it this way because it keeps with the design language of the 3, which this is built upon. And that saves costs on manufacturing.

Who cares about how much the rear end slopes, it’s supposed to be a car for 5 pax and that is bigger than the Model 3. It has more headroom (judging by pictures) than the Model 3. So, it’s a win on that front. It’s not meant so the 3rd row passengers can ride in comfort.

But, I do agree with you that Tesla should stop using gas savings as a price that’s prominently marketed on the configuration. That asterisk and footnote is not cutting it. And they should start showing 360 degree views as you say.

I love our ludicrous Model X, but I also like Ferraris. So, don’t want to get in the way of your discussio, but just want to make a correction. Only two of Ferrari’s lineup is rated slower than 3 seconds flat for 0-60. And all will be faster than a Tesla beyond the 1/4 mile. Not sure your average Tesla is faster than most Ferrari’s.

Well, I guess when I said "most" Ferrari's I meant it literally. There are tens of thousands of them out there.

Uh... not really. The old Leaf looks like they filled it full of vaseline and squeezed it out to get the headlights... and from the rear, it looks like it has a full diaper.
I drove a leaf for years. I would recognize my baby anywhere. When the Y rolled on stage and I saw it was the face of my model 3 with the hard contoured oval body of the leaf I used to drive, it gave me flashbacks to the time when I could only drive 60 miles a day and everyone laughed at me.

I drove a leaf for years. I would recognize my baby anywhere. When the Y rolled on stage and I saw it was the face of my model 3 with the hard contoured oval body of the leaf I used to drive, it gave me flashbacks to the time when I could only drive 60 miles a day and everyone laughed at me.

In the front the shape is somewhat similar, although Nissan manages to destroy anything that might look good about it with those horrendous bulging headlights and a hood/windshield with pretty much one continuous slope, rather than the nice change in slope on the Y that creates a more interesting profile. The rear is nothing alike. The Leaf has almost no roof taper, and has those big butt cheeks that hang out behind the rear wheels.

And the ugly of the Leaf didn't really gain it anything. The drag coefficient was 0.32. A far cry from the Y's 0.23.

YLeaf.jpg

In the front the shape is somewhat similar, although Nissan manages to destroy anything that might look good about it with those horrendous bulging headlights and a hood/windshield with pretty much one continuous slope, rather than the nice change in slope on the Y that creates a more interesting profile. The rear is nothing alike. The Leaf has almost no roof taper, and has those big butt cheeks that hang out behind the rear wheels.

And the ugly of the Leaf didn't really gain it anything. The drag coefficient was 0.32. A far cry from the Y's 0.23.

View attachment 386578
The pics on the left are uncanny. I’m telling you the model Why?’s weird body looks worse from behind than a Nissan Leaf.