Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased a Modern Spare kit for the Model Y? I am wondering how well it fits in the frunk or if it might potentially fit under the trunk since that space is larger than the Model 3 trunk space. I noticed that they changed the tires to Maxxis as well, any input on these tires? The Model 3 kit comes with Pirelli's.

As far as specs, they are almost identical:
18×4 Aluminum Alloy Wheel With 5×114.3 MM Bolt Pattern.​
But the tires do have different Rolling Diameters:
Model 3: Pirelli T135/80/R18 Tire W/81 MPH Speed Rating (112M) – 26.5” Rolling Diameter
Model Y: Durable Maxxis T165/70D18 Tire W/81 MPH Speed Rating (116M) - 27.1” Rolling Diameter​

A rep from the company did reply that you could use the M3 kit on the MY if already ordered, but to just keep the speed and distance used lower (under 50mph and 100miles). The MY kit has a taller tire to match the factory ones but the difference really isn't much for use as a spare tire.

Model Y Kit:
#1 Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically For Your Model Y | Modern Spare

Model 3 Kit:
#1 Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically For Your Model 3 | Modern Spare

Any opinions on this kit?

The Model 3 and Model Y weight almost twice as much as an ICE car of similar size.

I would recommend getting two scissors jacks, and place one near the front wheel and the other near the rear wheel to lift the car.

It's almost impossible to lift the car using the provided small wrench. Using two scissors allows to balance the weight and ease the lifting

The Model 3 and Model Y weight almost twice as much as an ICE car of similar size.

I would recommend getting two scissors jacks, and place one near the front wheel and the other near the rear wheel to lift the car.

It's almost impossible to lift the car using the provided small wrench. Using two scissors allows to balance the weight and ease the lifting

Thanks for the feedback, yes the weight is considerably more for the MY. Wanted to know if anyones tried it using this kit before.

Does seem to work well for the M3 and has good reviews by these guys on YouTube. :

Because Tesla:
Frugal Tesla Guy:

Reactions: e645824

Model Y weighs 20% more than a RAV4, and 10% more than a Q5

Last edited:

It weighs less than a BMW X5.

That said, I would want a battery powered jack. Hmmm... I guess I have one in my BMW e60 wagon that I haven’t sold yet.

Looking for someone with better visualization skills than me to see if it would fit in the frunk or rear well.

Last edited:
Just for a point of comparison (NOT knocking anyone who buys a spare kit, etc). The cost of the modern spare would pay. for several years of AAA. Further, I have an AMEX platinum which mostly negates paying for AAA.

My wife and child have free gold cards which provide basic roadside services too.

The conundrum b/t waiting for Tesla/AAA/Amex vs carrying a spare I cant reconcile. Just wanted to contribute.

Just for a point of comparison (NOT knocking anyone who buys a spare kit, etc). The cost of the modern spare would pay. for several years of AAA. Further, I have an AMEX platinum which mostly negates paying for AAA.

My wife and child have free gold cards which provide basic roadside services too.

The conundrum b/t waiting for Tesla/AAA/Amex vs carrying a spare I cant reconcile. Just wanted to contribute.

Good points, definitely agree but that's the conundrum that tips the scale for me. I like taking road trips and the thought of delaying by several hours hoping there is a spare available is just painful. Throwing on a spare and getting to wherever I need to makes this worth the cost and weight.

Why carry that weight and take up the space? My last car, the dealer said came with run flat tires. It didn't. Luckily I didn't need to discover that on the road. When I replaced the tires, I definitely got run flat tires. A bit more expensive but now I know I can make it somewhere (unless the sidewall blows out). Plus we have Tesla Roadside in a pinch.

Reactions: Rufus1349
Why carry that weight and take up the space? My last car, the dealer said came with run flat tires. It didn't. Luckily I didn't need to discover that on the road. When I replaced the tires, I definitely got run flat tires. A bit more expensive but now I know I can make it somewhere (unless the sidewall blows out). Plus we have Tesla Roadside in a pinch.

I guess it's a personal preference. The weight is around 45lbs for the full kit, so 25-33% the weight of another passenger, isn't really anything crazy. For the longer trips like camping, I'll have it with me, just another piece of gear that's brought along.

As far as run flats, I had a bmw x4 with 20" Pirelli performance run flats, the hard/slick ride and the $480 cost per replacement weren't pretty. Had 3 separate flats over the 3 years I had that car. Even when they went flat, didn't feel good driving on them for long and called roadside anyway.

Just gives me a another quick option where I can handle the situation better. Keepin' it oldschool :cool:

Reactions: Zinjan
We go through at least a tire per year due to nails from construction on our three cars. I have been thinking about getting a spare for our Tesla to avoid waiting for roadside assistance.

Where do you store the spare? Does it fit in the space under the trunk floor?

We go through at least a tire per year due to nails from construction on our three cars. I have been thinking about getting a spare for our Tesla to avoid waiting for roadside assistance.

Where do you store the spare? Does it fit in the space under the trunk floor?

Good question, I'll see where it fits best, will post some pics when it comes in.

I guess it's a personal preference. The weight is around 45lbs for the full kit, so 25-33% the weight of another passenger, isn't really anything crazy. For the longer trips like camping, I'll have it with me, just another piece of gear that's brought along.

As far as run flats, I had a bmw x4 with 20" Pirelli performance run flats, the hard/slick ride and the $480 cost per replacement weren't pretty. Had 3 separate flats over the 3 years I had that car. Even when they went flat, didn't feel good driving on them for long and called roadside anyway.

Just gives me a another quick option where I can handle the situation better. Keepin' it oldschool :cool:

My BMW 3 had low profile run flats, lost 4 $450 tires and one alloy wheel to potholes. In one instance a huge section of the sidewall blew away, it was undrivable. OTOH, one of the blowouts was on the interstate at night, in the rain, in a really high crime area, in a construction area with no pull off lane. Being able to drive home was a godsend.

Perhaps buy a Harbor Freight 4 ton hydraulic jack for $17.99 (less 20% off coupon)?

Some of us drive places that are many hours if not days away from Tesla Roadside assistance. Even AAA is often many hours away. If most of my driving was in or very near metro areas then I would agree with you. I will definitely be researching run-flat tires when the original tires are in need of replacing.

Some of us drive places that are many hours if not days away from Tesla Roadside assistance. Even AAA is often many hours away. If most of my driving was in or very near metro areas then I would agree with you. I will definitely be researching run-flat tires when the original tires are in need of replacing.

Be careful about run flats. I've seen them completly shread and disintegrate in 50 miles. Won't get you far if you're in the boonies. Also, once used in run flat mode, throw away and buy new one.

Be careful about run flats. I've seen them completly shread and disintegrate in 50 miles. Won't get you far if you're in the boonies. Also, once used in run flat mode, throw away and buy new one.

I looked into them years ago and they didn't seem to have the dependability I was looking for. I wasn't sure if they had improved over time. Spending a few bucks to have a spare tire seems like a reasonable insurance policy for our road trips.

Reactions: Roebearr