Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend live at Gigafactory with Model 3 today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The larger rims look great, I agree, but for the reasons already stated, I'll probably be sticking with the stock size. Plus, a higher profile tire will help make the wheel well gap not look as large.

In some cases I would agree, like this one.

But on my current car, filling that gap actually worked better with me lowering the stock height by about 1.25" all the way around.

I wouldn't dream of doing that to a Tesla though. I would imagine for aerodynamic reasons, they'll be paying some attention to wheel gap anyway.

How about that rear tire width? Crazy. I'm sure the base model tires will be quite a bit smaller in both width and wheel diameter. I would guess base model might be something like 235/50 R18 front and rear. Certainly not 275/35 R20.

I don't remember what the tire sizes are, however the BIG REVEAL camera's did a close up of the tires....which showed the tire sizes. The only thing I know for sure ( and was surprised at ) was that the black matte reveal car had different size tires on the front than it did on the rear.

For me? My M3 will have 20's. The car will be wrapped - white carbon fiber.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
@Boourns, Thanks for the play by play!
np

I think the biggest implication from the brief video was that the interior of the car as shown in the reveal is almost meaningless. There was some mention of being able to be very creative with the final version. So as we all suspect, Reveal II will really show us something different.

It seems that nearly all of the development so far has been battery/drivetrain and exterior, and the next two years will be refining what they have and designing the interior and other details to include as much as possible while sticking to the price point. That makes sense: first you have to develop what makes the car a car, then you see what is left for the "cowbells."

In some cases I would agree, like this one.

But on my current car, filling that gap actually worked better with me lowering the stock height by about 1.25" all the way around.

I wouldn't dream of doing that to a Tesla though. I would imagine for aerodynamic reasons, they'll be paying some attention to wheel gap anyway.
I totally agree. I took that route with my 1995 Civic. But I think that car had a wheel well gap at least twice as big as the M3.

There is another thread where people are counting mm's to determine the size of the car. I have one of the images they came up with.

Attachments

• BMW 320ix compare.jpg
    BMW 320ix compare.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Size.png
    Size.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
Thanks for posting it, but wow what a horrible quality video. Does the camera have only one mic, which they left in the car??

MotorTrend really seemed to approach this whole opportunity half assed. Such a great opportunity ruined by what looks like poor planning, poor execution with all those social media ad attacks.

BTW, looking forward to your new movie coming this July!

Reactions: Big-T